Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog insured, luxating patella??

• 02-09-2014 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭

I had my pooch at the vet for his boosters in Feb and the vet mentioned he had a luxating patella. He said it's a grade 1 or two and shouldn't be too problematic.
    I have recently insured him with Allianz and because this is a pre-existing condition, they said he isn't covered for that or any problem that may arise from that.
    I understand this but I'm concerned about it. What if he has problems with other joints, would it be connected to this and what other problems could arise that could be linked to it.
    It's my own fault, I should have insured him earlier, I was talking about it long enough!
    If anyone is thinking of insuring your pets, do it before anything is diagnosed!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

This is where insurance companies have you over a barrel. If he becomes lame in the opposite leg, for example, it could be argued that it's from him trying to compensate for luxating patella by taking extra strain or impact on the opposite leg.
    If luxating patella happens to be diagnosed in his good leg, it could be argued that your dog is predisposed to the problem.
    I'm sure there are other ways they can throw hurdles at you, these are just off the top of my head :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 BelleMolly

My dog had surgery for a luxating patella in January. She was insured but they wouldn't cover it. I was desperate because I was worried the cost of the procedure would run into ridiculous amounts but it actually came to 300 euro. Not TOO bad. I was expecting triple that amount based on what friends were telling me.

My dogs severity was judged as a grade 2-3. I went ahead with the surgery even though it wasn't too problematic for her yet because like you I was worried about other problems that could happen as a result. Arthritis, ruptured cruciate ligament being two the Vet named as possibilities.

Dog is flying it now. Takes a few months to get over and you have to be so careful with them while they are recovering but it was worth going ahead with.
    Hth.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭crustybla

Thanks guys, glad your dog is ok now BelleMolly. I knew it would be an issue and I was mad at myself at putting the insurance on the long finger. Still, at least if he has an accident or becomes ill in other ways he's covered. Knowing me he'll every problem the poor dog may have in his life will, in fact, be related to this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

crustybla wrote: »
    Thanks guys, glad your dog is ok now BelleMolly. I knew it would be an issue and I was mad at myself at putting the insurance on the long finger. Still, at least if he has an accident or becomes ill in other ways he's covered. Knowing me he'll every problem the poor dog may have in his life will, in fact, be related to this!

My dog had an oral tumour removed last week. I'd estimate with the combined fees from both vets (he was referred for the surgery) it was around €2500 :eek: So while you may have "missed out" on his knee you'll be glad of the insurance if you need it at some stage in the future. He's also had operations on his legs and they were always treated as separate ie one leg's claim wasn't linked to the other or seen as being the cause of the other legs problems. That said I've had him insured since day one.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭crustybla

Hope he's ok tk123. Poor little fella. They go through a lot sometimes. Good to know the legs weren't linked, that was part of my concern. Still, I'm relieved he's insured at last.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,019 ✭✭✭Wossack

BelleMolly wrote: »
    My dog had surgery for a luxating patella in January. She was insured but they wouldn't cover it. I was desperate because I was worried the cost of the procedure would run into ridiculous amounts but it actually came to 300 euro. Not TOO bad. I was expecting triple that amount based on what friends were telling me.

My dogs severity was judged as a grade 2-3. I went ahead with the surgery even though it wasn't too problematic for her yet because like you I was worried about other problems that could happen as a result. Arthritis, ruptured cruciate ligament being two the Vet named as possibilities.

Dog is flying it now. Takes a few months to get over and you have to be so careful with them while they are recovering but it was worth going ahead with.
    Hth.

Unfortunately our girl has this in both hind legs :/ can I ask who you went with? I might have her in and see what they reckon. Ive no idea of what class of it she has though

Hi Wossack. My dog also had it in both hind legs. One was worse than the other but the vet had a theory that getting the worse of the two done might help the other leg because she wouldn't be leaning all her weight on one side. It worked!
    Treaty vets in Limerick is our vet. Marése did the surgery.

As far as the grades go. If the knee occasionally pops out that's a grade 1-2. If the knee pops in and out constantly that's a 3. If the knee cap doesn't stay in the socket at all that's a grade 4.

You don't need t have a grade 4 to get the surgery. I could hear my dog clicking when she hopped around and could feel the knee popping in and out of the socket if I picked her up. She wasn't in pain before but she wasn't able to keep up with my other dog on their walks and I often had to pick her up because I was worried about the weight on the opposite leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,019 ✭✭✭Wossack

Sounds like the exact same scenario as our Trixie- one leg worse then the other, and if we were to go for it, I'd say just doing the worse leg would be the plan alright

By the sounds of it she's a 1-2, occasionally have to pop it back in for her if she's limping (can pop out if she stretches or I dry her back feet etc) but funnily enough it doesn't seem to slow her down at all- gives most dogs a good run for their money! She's just weak in the back so finds jumping up on things hard and I'm worried of her getting complications in the future :/

Many thanks for the details and the indicator of cost - very helpful :)

No problem.
    Best of luck! :)

Advertisement