Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

broadband speed dropped

Options
  • 02-09-2014 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭

Hi this is kinda a last resort but wondering can eircom help, I was an eircom customer for a few years for phone and broadband switched to sky bundle over 14 months ago and for the first year had no issues with bb apart from my speed was around 0.8 to 1mb but I knew that couldn't achieve any better as I was over 7km from exchange. 6/7 weeks ago I lost bb and eventually sky asked eircom to repair fault on line (bad connection found), since then my bb usually connects around 0.8 downstream speed but drops to less than 0.3 over a few days. I have exhausted all the troubleshooting with sky and there solution is to reduce me to 0.5. Which I find ridiculous as I had a stable connection with both eircom and sky for three years ! 0.8 is by no means good but less tan 0.5 is totally unusable. Has more users on exchange caused my slow down or is it the line/exchange deteriorating ?    

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

hatchman wrote: »
    Hi this is kinda a last resort but wondering can eircom help, I was an eircom customer for a few years for phone and broadband switched to sky bundle over 14 months ago and for the first year had no issues with bb apart from my speed was around 0.8 to 1mb but I knew that couldn't achieve any better as I was over 7km from exchange. 6/7 weeks ago I lost bb and eventually sky asked eircom to repair fault on line (bad connection found), since then my bb usually connects around 0.8 downstream speed but drops to less than 0.3 over a few days. I have exhausted all the troubleshooting with sky and there solution is to reduce me to 0.5. Which I find ridiculous as I had a stable connection with both eircom and sky for three years ! 0.8 is by no means good but less tan 0.5 is totally unusable. Has more users on exchange caused my slow down or is it the line/exchange deteriorating ?    
    Hi hatchman

When a line is so far from the exchange it is common that speeds would result in what you are experiencing and your suspicions are correct as over time when more subscribers avail of broadband the speed will somewhat deteriorate although that aspect ultimately depends on the exchange - feel free to PM me your landline number so I can double check this.

Thanks
    Al

Advertisement