Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due May 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

I'm, like, the opposite to huge. It's barely noticeable, but now I can see my face getting bigger and my hands are swelling slightly, combo of general swelling and eating loads to fight the constant hunger and/or heartburn :( I was eating really well until about 2 weeks ago, have to cop on again now, I'm just eating too much. Trying on clothes is so depressing, I just look chunky around my middle!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Realised I somehow managed to unsubscribe from this thread, when there was actually activity on it haha. Had my glucose tolerance test yesterday and all normal so that's a relief. Starving every two hours so having to be good would have killed me!

Getting so excited at the thoughts of meeting the baby, and so terrified that we won't have enough money etc but looking forward to cuddles too

Realised I somehow managed to unsubscribe from this thread, when there was actually activity on it haha. Had my glucose tolerance test yesterday and all normal so that's a relief. Starving every two hours so having to be good would have killed me!

Getting so excited at the thoughts of meeting the baby, and so terrified that we won't have enough money etc but looking forward to cuddles too

Jaysus don't unsubscribe, we need all the people we can get!

I thought I'd muster some bit of excitement by this stage but I'm gone the other way, more terrified, more worried, more convinced I'm not capable of being a parent. Those that don't know me well keep saying "you must be so excited!", I will NEVER say that to a pregnant woman again, this sh!t is terrifying.

Jaysus don't unsubscribe, we need all the people we can get!

I thought I'd muster some bit of excitement by this stage but I'm gone the other way, more terrified, more worried, more convinced I'm not capable of being a parent. Those that don't know me well keep saying "you must be so excited!", I will NEVER say that to a pregnant woman again, this sh!t is terrifying.

oh I cried all over my husband the other night in case the baby doesn't like me! It's definitely natural to worry! I would like to fast forward to being off work though cause I'm wrecked

oh I cried all over my husband the other night in case the baby doesn't like me! It's definitely natural to worry! I would like to fast forward to being off work though cause I'm wrecked

I'm glad to hear that lol. I feel like I need a big cry, but I'm not a crier in general so it's almost impossible to set me off. I wish I could just sit and cry and vent a bit of emotion, but I doubt it's going to happen.

I'm looking forward to finishing work soon, but worried that it will give me even more time to sit around thinking that this was all a terrible idea...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭YumDeiseMum

Had my glucose tolerance test yesterday and all normal so that's a relief. Starving every two hours so having to be good would have killed me!

Does everyone get the glucose test, I havent heard a dickie bird about it so far, but have an appt next week so must find out.

Just reading through some of the June thread and lots of ladies are being told their babies current weight and getting to listen to the heartbeat at appts, Ive had none of this in Waterford 😕

I have had a bit of panic set in the last few days completely out of the blue, I was super excited all along, still am but have found myself worrying myself sick that I wont be able to cope with a newborn after all this length of time or I won't remember what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Does everyone get the glucose test, I havent heard a dickie bird about it so far, but have an appt next week so must find out.

Just reading through some of the June thread and lots of ladies are being told their babies current weight and getting to listen to the heartbeat at appts, Ive had none of this in Waterford 😕

I have had a bit of panic set in the last few days completely out of the blue, I was super excited all along, still am but have found myself worrying myself sick that I wont be able to cope with a newborn after all this length of time or I won't remember what to do.

Panic has hit me too, I was driving the other day and it just hit me, what if I forget the baby somewhere, what if we dont bond, in 3 months me and my dp are responsible totally for a little baby :eek:
    I only heard heartbeat at my 24 week appointment, never got told weight but bump is measuring ahead. Did you get anomally scan in waterford

I've never been told the weight at any scan, not even at private anatomy scan.

I seem to be the opposite to everyone else, not at all concerned about the first while with a small baby, but terrified about the rest of my/its/our life! Can't say I feel excitement, just fear and worry. Wish I could buy some optimism for a few months!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

We've not been told anything other than "it's all fine" really when they did the measurements at the last scan.

If people are being told weight then that just sounds like they are being told random numbers as it's not really possible to calculate that. They will have a range of weights that are likely for if the baby is X long by Y wide and they will pick a number in the middle of the range to tell you. They are not doing any complicated calculations and based on how difficult it is to figure out the weight of your own head I'd call shenanigans if they were to claim an accurate weight after doing a scan:

How to weigh your head. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭YumDeiseMum

I only heard heartbeat at my 24 week appointment, never got told weight but bump is measuring ahead. Did you get anomally scan in waterford

Yes they do the anomoly scan as standard in Waterford thankfully, I was 22 weeks having it done. There was a stand in midwife brought up from the labour ward that day and she was great. She spent nearly an hour going through everything and pointing out to us exactly what she was looking at and we ended up coming away with over 20 pictures. I think it was a novelty for her :-)

• Advertisement

Today's new symptom is dizziness, great :rolleyes: Work is going to be fun today so. Thank God I only have a few weeks left, totally not counting down to maternity leave

Nope only if you have risk factors, some of which are previous big baby, history of diabetes in family, high BMI, over 40 or expecting multiples.

The weight is calculated based off the thigh bone measurement and waist/skull circumference when scanned and it's an average anyway so not that accurate. It is more accurate than measuring the bump externally but still not great. I don't think I've heard the heartbeat, I can't remember!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Had the GTT last week, thank God I got no phonecall afterwards :)
    Have our second anomaly scan in 2 weeks, so hopefully everything will be ok this time.
    Weight wise the use the measurements from the anomaly scan, I looked at my scan results last time and every measurement is +95%ile with the femurs measuring 2.5 weeks ahead and so the weight is 1.5 weeks ahead.
    That's a bit scary, on the weight curve chart if we keep going the same way the baby could be 9lbs9!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OkeyDoke12

My girlfirend is craving coleslaw and cold ham, salad sandwiches etc. she has read online that consuming these while pregnant because of the risk of listeria. She is really worried because she has consumed theses over the past few days. She has no symptoms of listeria btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

OkeyDoke12 wrote: »
    My girlfirend is craving coleslaw and cold ham, salad sandwiches etc. she has read online that consuming these while pregnant because of the risk of listeria. She is really worried because she has consumed theses over the past few days. She has no symptoms of listeria btw.

I am 24 weeks pregnant and have had many a ham and coleslaw sandwich in the last 24 weeks. I wouldn't worry.

Thing is the risk doesn't increase while pregnant, as in you're not more likely to get listeria, just if you did get it the effects are worse. So atm you don't hear many people getting listeria so the risk is small afaik.

To be honest some of the guidelines are way OTT. I decided to stick with the NHS ones and neither ham nor coleslaw is on that list!

I can't decide if the trials and tribulations of the third trimester have hit me with my first dose of pregnancy hormones, or if I'm finally getting the crying fest I've felt I needed. I'm self employed but work with others sometimes also, I just had to inform someone that they have a big deadline tomorrow that they had forgotten about, and I feel like a lot of it's my fault because I realised it was this week yesterday and they didn't, I should've said it then :( Feel like crying and kicking myself, I should've confirmed they knew the date. Sobbed after a disagreement with himself earlier too, not a good day :(

I'm the same spotty a few times over the last few days I have been teary over the littlest of things :/ and feel wrecked tired again, maybe it's a cold brewing or something

I've been hit with that dose going around. Have been dying all week, woke up this morning and our huge fridge freezer has died, less that 2 years 3 months old. Between this and our tv dying before Christmas ive just spent the day crying.
    I'm just so tired all the time, I'm sick, hubby is sick and our minion has it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭tink2

Hi girls sorry I seem to have in subscribed from the forum by mistake! I'm an emotional mess! Had a virus wrk weeks ago. And ever since then just burst into tears at the smallest thing - the poor manager in the Vodafone shop today lol! Had a tough week in work and a crap maternity appointment where they suddenly told me I was anaemic like 4 months after doing the blood test - grrr! Then they said my bump was measuring ahead and had to take a diabetes test! Turns out I don't have it thank god but have to go in for a scan & feeling a bit sad & sensitive I guess.. I was so positive and it knocked my confidence a bit. Hope things look up for everyone soon!

Tink the same thing happened my friend, a few days before her due date they told her her iron was extremely low when they checked it months earlier, a lot of good that was!

30 weeks and I finally have a bump...in certain clothes :p It's become a joke with my family and friends now, that nobody will believe a newborn is mine if they've seen me recently :pac:

I'm having problems with swelling, mainly my hands, and nearly every fecking thing I read online is advice for dealing with leg/feet swelling, no info about helping hands that are swollen. The doctor had no advice for me either, just that yep, it'll stay now until the end.

How's everyone else doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭tink2

spotty I would say you will be like my friend in work she only had to buy maternity jeans she had a tiny bump and didn't look very pregnant until about 7.5 months!!! Go with it I'd say!! Swelling doesn't sound fun though....

tink2 wrote: »
    spotty I would say you will be like my friend in work she only had to buy maternity jeans she had a tiny bump and didn't look very pregnant until about 7.5 months!!! Go with it I'd say!! Swelling doesn't sound fun though....

I've actually had to wear over bump maternity jeans for months because my own ones wouldn't close and the hair bobble/under bump ones were so uncomfortable, but they just look like regular skinnies so with normal tops I was fine and now normal tops that are supposed to be loose still look fine, the skinny jeans underneath are deceptive :) I feel huge but I know to others I look tiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Tink the same thing happened my friend, a few days before her due date they told her her iron was extremely low when they checked it months earlier, a lot of good that was!

30 weeks and I finally have a bump...in certain clothes :p It's become a joke with my family and friends now, that nobody will believe a newborn is mine if they've seen me recently :pac:

I'm having problems with swelling, mainly my hands, and nearly every fecking thing I read online is advice for dealing with leg/feet swelling, no info about helping hands that are swollen. The doctor had no advice for me either, just that yep, it'll stay now until the end.

How's everyone else doing?

Spotty I had pregnancy yoga tonight and we did moves to reduce swelling including hand swelling so maybe check you tube for some yoga moves which will hopefully help. They are very simple moves. Good luck!

Hi all, just wondering if any of you have got the whooping cough vaccine yet? My gp said it to me this week and said the administering of it will cost €30, a friend of mine has got it done in her doctors for free. Have you paid for it? Would the hospital be giving them?
    I have no problem paying but I just find it strange its free in one doctors and not in another

Will be getting it next week. I'll definitely have to pay as I didn't do combined care with my GP at all and you can't get it in the hospital. Technically all GPs should charge as they only get paid for the routine visits not administering vaccines but some waive the fee

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Think it's due for herself in another couple of weeks at the next appointment.

Is anybody else's partner getting it? I see the recommendation is that all those who will be in close proximity to the baby should get a booster shot. Not sure whether to see about hubby getting it

• Advertisement

Ah thats perfect so I have no problem paying it once I know its not included in the maternity care. No I didnt even think about my partner needing it, I think it will be just me getting it as this will then give the baby a bit of immunity

Advertisement