Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due May 2015

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

In our hospital 2 years ago the flu shot was free, they had a clinic every Monday you could drop into. This time around that's been cut back and you have to pay your GP. I've never heard of the whooping cough vaccine being free, did your gp recommend it? I never got it last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Yeah my GP recommended it as there's been an increase in the number of cases of whooping cough in Ireland and the UK and some newborns have died as they don't have any immunity. My consultant said it was up to me but GP was very persuasive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

My gp said nothing about me getting the flu or whooping cough vaccine, and I keep forgetting to ask about it, never mind a mention of himself getting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 siobhan2005

Id be interested in seeing the exact numbers of whooping cough in the past year in Ireland or the county I live in (kilkenny), not sure where id get those though. I know there was a large number of babies died (14 i think) in 2012 or 2013 in england but whether that translates to a direct risk in kilkenny in 2015 Im not so sure. I think its 2 reported deaths in the past 10 years in Ireland, altho there would obviously be alot of cases that didnt result in death. Although id imagine if you lived in a more populated area like dublin there would be a much higher risk and definately worth getting then.

The skeptic in me also wonders if gp's would push it more than consultants etc because they would be getting paid for it. I think too much about these things lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭YumDeiseMum

Is anybody else's partner getting it? I see the recommendation is that all those who will be in close proximity to the baby should get a booster shot. Not sure whether to see about hubby getting it

My significant other will be getting it. I read into it a good bit online and it recommended that anyone that will be living with the baby and hasn't been vaccinated within the last 10 years should get it. I suppose it makes sense when you think about it, a tetanus only lasts 10 years so presumably most other vaccines would be similar.

We are lucky with our GP, he doesn't charge

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Not seeing any mention of partners getting the vaccine elsewhere online, or on the likes of the NHS site which is generally pretty good for info.

Where is it that one is likely to pick up whooping cough from anyway? Is it just from contact with other kids, or do adults tend to be carriers without symptoms or something?

http://www.hse.ie/eng/health/immunisation/hcpinfo/frequentlyaskedquestions/pertussisfaq.pdf

Some info here also CDC website recommends all adults get booster who will be around baby

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Drdoc

robinph wrote: »
    Not seeing any mention of partners getting the vaccine elsewhere online, or on the likes of the NHS site which is generally pretty good for info.

Where is it that one is likely to pick up whooping cough from anyway? Is it just from contact with other kids, or do adults tend to be carriers without symptoms or something?

Jumping in from another thread but yes adults are the biggest carriers of it. They don't tend to get very symptomatic though, it's just like another viral illness.
    HSE don't pay for the actual vaccine unlike the flu one so the vaccine itself costs around 25euro, anything on top of that is administration fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Have any of you been getting pains every so often, maybe once a day just in the last week or so I will get this pain in my stomach like a cramp that lasts about a minute and then goes. Wonder is this braxton hicks?!

Have any of you been getting pains every so often, maybe once a day just in the last week or so I will get this pain in my stomach like a cramp that lasts about a minute and then goes. Wonder is this braxton hicks?!

Sounds like BH alright from what I've read but it hasn't happened to me.

• Advertisement

I've been getting a weird cramp like pain like a belt is too tight across my hips and lower stomach since about 18 weeks, I'm assuming it's BHs I never had them on the last pregnancy.

I finally have my physio appointment tomorrow in the Coombe for pelvic girdle pain... And haven't had any pain in the last two days! Typical!

Had a scan yesterday where something was spotted that could be bad news or could be "just one of those things". Consultant is leaning towards the latter but so hard not to worry as not back for two weeks. Last 24 hours has already felt like at least double that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Angeldelight I can imagine that's really worrying. Try to busy yourself and the 2 weeks should pass quicker(easier said than done). I have heard so many stories like this though and then everything is fine....and doc says it must have been just a blip....after you going through a hellish 2 weeks.

I was going to a physio for pelvic pain and then went to an osteopath last week and typical I had no pain coming up to the appointment. But the pain comes and goes some days are worse than others. I bet when the physio starts working on you she/he will be able to feel the problem areas....you'll probably be quite sore after it anyway.
    Positive thinking all the way.

Angel I hD one of those "things" flag at my 20 week scan, actually had the follow up today and everything is fine. Baby might need a few ultrasounds when born but it's managable. So fingers crossed for you, but I know how crap the waiting is!
    Baby is already 3lbs 1oz, I thought that was huge already, but no it's bang on for 29 weeks!

Ginny you must be so relieved! That's great that you got reassurance today. Apparently the fact that it wasn't present at 18, 22, 25 or 28 week scans mean it is less likely to be something bad but there's still a small chance.

It's mad thinking that it's only 9 weeks until May!

Ginny you must be so relieved! That's great that you got reassurance today. Apparently the fact that it wasn't present at 18, 22, 25 or 28 week scans mean it is less likely to be something bad but there's still a small chance.

It's mad thinking that it's only 9 weeks until May!

I hate when they do that, I'd rather someone gave me a scenario of what it could be and then you are prepared. And I've heard loads of times where at the next scan everything is fine x when are you back in? Wow your lucky have you had five scans so far? The weeks are flying by :) I've ten weeks left from Sunday coming! Terrifying but sooo exciting

Yeah the waiting is not fun at all! I've had scans every 2/3 weeks as I'm private so it's reassiring at least to know that this issue definitely wasn't there before. Back on Monday week

I've had a load of scans because of extra on public system and two private ones (early one and anomaly), have averaged one a month so far.

My hands are so swollen :( I'm coping quite well with all the rest of my current symptoms but this one just kills me. Everything is so difficult, and there's nothing I can do about it!

Can imagine that's very uncomfortable alright - at least if it's swollen feet staying in bed helps! I am very strangely having the opposite, it's like my hands have shrunk - my engagement and wedding rings keep randomly falling off

Can imagine that's very uncomfortable alright - at least if it's swollen feet staying in bed helps! I am very strangely having the opposite, it's like my hands have shrunk - my engagement and wedding rings keep randomly falling off

Yeah exactly it's easy enough to relieve foot swelling, not so much hands, have to use them! You must've lost a bit of weight from your hands, God I'm jealous :p I can't wear my rings at all now.

• Advertisement

Yeah exactly it's easy enough to relieve foot swelling, not so much hands, have to use them! You must've lost a bit of weight from your hands, God I'm jealous :p I can't wear my rings at all now.

Would prefer to lose it off my bum though!

Had the physio class in the Coombe today, quite interesting definitely picked up some tips and got a pelvic support belt which I put on doing the grocery shop on the way home and definitely helped

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭YumDeiseMum

Feel really crap today :-(
    Myself and the oh got the whooping cough vaccine yesterday so I don't know is it some thing to do with that. Hoping thats all it is and tomorrow will be better

Oh deary me, I am so tired. I spent today working with other people pretending I wasn't tired and needing to slow down, and now I'm paying for it. I'm wrecked. Everything is so difficult! My stupid legs are so swollen that my loose tracksuit pants I bought in my normal size thinking I could wear them til the end are basically fitted on my thighs now, depressing AND the swelling makes bending or hunkering down to do things almost impossible. Well I can do it easily, it's getting back up that's the problem. I can't walk fast, but I keep forgetting this, and attempting my usual very brisk pace around the place.

No idea how I'll survive another 8 weeks, I can really see April being spent just lying on the couch crying!

Ah sorry you've had tough days ladies. Spotty one thing they physio did stress a lot at the class yesterday is that severe discomfort or pain is not just "normal" in pregnancy, it's a sign you're doing too much. I know it's easier said than done but maybe you do need to slow down a little. There's no harm in other people knowing its a little more difficult at the moment

Ah sorry you've had tough days ladies. Spotty one thing they physio did stress a lot at the class yesterday is that severe discomfort or pain is not just "normal" in pregnancy, it's a sign you're doing too much. I know it's easier said than done but maybe you do need to slow down a little. There's no harm in other people knowing its a little more difficult at the moment

I'm not in severe pain or discomfort, just a frustrating amount! Enough that it doesn't stop me doing things, just makes me stiff and sore after I do it :rolleyes: Usually I've been taking it easy at work but today I just pushed it too far keeping up with new people I haven't worked with before.

I'm on maternity leave VERY soon anyway so it's ok :)

I'm not in severe pain or discomfort, just a frustrating amount! Enough that it doesn't stop me doing things, just makes me stiff and sore after I do it :rolleyes: Usually I've been taking it easy at work but today I just pushed it too far keeping up with new people I haven't worked with before.

I'm on maternity leave VERY soon anyway so it's ok :)
    8 weeks left til I finish work :(

8 weeks left til I finish work :(

I would actually weep. Fair play to anyone working up until 36+ weeks, I couldn't do it, I hurt so much after work every day.

God I'm not finished until the 30th of April! :)
    Worked up to 37 weeks last time, in hospital for a few days then back in work for a few days. I think in the end I finished on a Thursday, had an antenatal appointment on Tuesday and was kept in then and there.

I have 16 days left in work - all spread out though so last day is 16th April

• Advertisement

I'm back earlier than others will be, and don't get maternity pay as I'm self employed, so I'm seeing going early as the big pro in this situation with the few cons :)

I think my body has realised the end of work is nigh and is shutting down. Last night I couldn't even turn in bed without grabbing the headboard, I really didn't think the upturned turtle stage would come until much later, especially considering I only got a noticeable bump in the last week or so! I thought it was the bump that limited movement, didn't realise swelling and general muscle stiffness would have such an effect.

Advertisement