Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due May 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

The doctor told me when confirming it that I could go to the one I always go to that it was fine, I could tell them if I wanted but didn't have to. I went for one at 9 weeks and said nothing, not ready! I had a leg massage at 14 weeks in another place (again kept quiet) but this time I figured it's about time I checked, at nearly 18 weeks! She said its totally fine right through. Love her :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

How's everyone doing? Have another hospital appointment tomorrow, can't wait to see baba! Bought my first maternity clothes last week, have no bump yet but because I'm a bit bloated they're way comfier than normal clothes! anybody's bump making an appearance yet?

I'm doing better today :) No bump here yet really, my abdomen is rock hard from top to bottom but no noticeable bump. I'm finding my normal leggings are cutting into me and give me muscle cramps and I can't close my jeans so I'm going to buy maternity leggings tomorrow and maybe some jeans. Still fitting perfectly into my bras, I've just added an extender because my hard abs have made me wider. Thank God because theyre already 34f so will be glad if they don't growtoo much!

Anyone feeling movement? I'm riddled with cramps and stretching pains every single day but have a quite regular pulling sensation that seems to be movement, made me jump yesterday!

Maternity trousers are so comfy!

No movement for me yet, can't wait!

Maternity trousers are so comfy!

No movement for me yet, can't wait!

I've been living in pyjamas at home, or some of my tights because they come right up to my bra anyway :D Going out of the house means wearing ONE pair of jeans I have that actually close with 2 buttons so if I close one button on the wrong hole it gives me a bit more space, just need a jumper long enough to cover the zip that won't close :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Buttercup78

Still in stretchy skinny jeans, although I'm a 14/16 so they're roomy enough :)
    No bump at all, had 1/2 movements i think, best way I can describe it is it feels like going over a bridge too fast, sounds weird I know. On my first I didn't feel anything until week 20 or so, so I wouldn't be worried.
    Still feeling quite ill on random evenings. Had to finally give up running, getting pains in my pelvic bone, so did my last race on Saturday.
    Had another appointment 2 weeks ago, blood pressure was high, so given how bad it was towards the end last time they brought me in to get it looked at in more detail. It went down again, but they reckon it will go high again earlier than last time. Fingers crossed it won't, hated being on the tablets last time :(

Buttercup hmm yeah I need stretchy skinny jeans, I have so many beautiful pairs in all colours but they are super tight with NO give in them at all so pulling the sides to close the button is not comfortable, hmph :( I thought I could get away with tying them with a hair bobble but the zip won't close then, so no good.

Where do you get your pelvic pains? My sciatic nerve is acting up now this last two weeks, not happy. I thought my masseuse had "fixed" it for a while but it came back worse on Friday, so will be making another appointment with her soon, and more frequent ones. I'll be broke!

Right in the middle feels like its splitting, so not going to put any extra pressure on it running. It settled down after a while but not chancing it :)
    M&S 5 pocket jeggings are nice! Loads of different colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Any of you girls not getting a 20 week anomoly scan done? None done in olol hospital so thinking of going private but unsure!

Any of you girls not getting a 20 week anomoly scan done? None done in olol hospital so thinking of going private but unsure!

My next hospital scan is at 26 weeks, we're trying to get a 20 week scan through the hospital for various reasons but if it doesn't work out we might get a private one done, the cost is just crazy though, €160.

• Advertisement

Yeah rotunda do them as standard, I can't believe in this day and age some hospitals think they should be optional/private. It's the most important scan. It's so unfair to have such a different standard of care across the same health service.

Yeah I was just saying that today two of my friends are getting them as standard in their hospitals but Drogheda told me unless something goes wrong I won't be scanned again. I'm a ftm so a bit clueless but at the 14 week scan she done it so quick that I feel I need the 20 week scan

I think if it were me I would pay for a private one, just for the reassurance.

I have a scan this evening, can't wait to see baba again - hope the consultant uses 4d mode again, was so cute, if rather freaky, last time!

Without trying to scare anyone a 20 week scan is imo much much more important than a 12 week scan. I'd urge anyone who isn't getting one as standard to invest in one. Everything is checked in such detail, I think since a lot of people find out the sex at that scan it can be seen as a bit of a standard scan, but it's so important to get done. Unfortunately I've know a few people whose 20 week scan have shown issues, and while devastating for some, other found issues that needed to be known before the onset of labour so the drs knew what was going on. It baffles me why some hospitals are ignoring such a major part of the public care they're supposed to provide.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭NewYork1979

It's dreadful that the 20 week scan isn't standard. In Limerick you get your booking scan and then one at 34 weeks I think. I am in the high risk clinic so I am getting a lot of scans, I would have to scrimp and save to get them privately otherwise, I'd be driven mad worrying.

Our scan today went great, babs is measuring at exactly my dates and has good long arms which is apparently good as lots of disorders show up as short arms, who knew?! She asked if we wanted to know the sex and I resisted! Very tempting though :) back on Stephen's Day for anomaly scan at 22 weeks

Anybody else panicking yet? I've had a day of worrying about what we need to buy, when to buy it, what if we buy the wrong things, what if I don't know how to look after baby when it arrives - everything!

I'm still quite sick so that's all that's on my mind right now, going to see the doctor tomorrow. In fear of being told I've to go to hospital overnight or anything, as that's just not possible with work.

You don't really need to buy much, lots can be gotten after the baby is born. The main one really is if you're ordering a travel system that has 3-4 months lead time, that's about all that needs to be bought this early.

I'm still quite sick so that's all that's on my mind right now, going to see the doctor tomorrow. In fear of being told I've to go to hospital overnight or anything, as that's just not possible with work.

You don't really need to buy much, lots can be gotten after the baby is born. The main one really is if you're ordering a travel system that has 3-4 months lead time, that's about all that needs to be bought this early.

How did you get on with the doctor?

I'm feeling much more rational today thanks! Didn't realise it could take that long for a travel system, will have to go looking in Jan. we saw one we liked at the Pregnancy & Baby fair but have nothing to compare it to so will go and see whats out there

How did you get on with the doctor?

I'm feeling much more rational today thanks! Didn't realise it could take that long for a travel system, will have to go looking in Jan. we saw one we liked at the Pregnancy & Baby fair but have nothing to compare it to so will go and see whats out there

My first baby and I have a serious fear of labour and needles etc so I know where your coming from angeldelight :) Even the idea of bathing the baby when its born can sometimes get me a bit paniced :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The main one really is if you're ordering a travel system that has 3-4 months lead time, that's about all that needs to be bought this early.

Really?

Why would something like a buggy and car seat combo need 3-4 months lead time? It's not like it a seasonal or special one off item that is customised for each person.

Doctor isn't until quite late this evening which is annoying, hate waiting.

I used to work selling childrens/babies products so have an upper hand on things like that :) It's very handy! Yeah buggies that are ordered because you want particular colours or the place doesn't have them in stock etc it can take a good few months, usually they would be ordered around 5-6 months, and often they wouldn't have come in on time and we'd have to give the couple a car seat to get them over the first while before the buggy arrived. But other places and other buggies can just be bought and taken whenever.

I'm not concerned about minding a small baby, I've lots of experience with tiny babies of family and friends and adore them when they're super tiny. Husband says he is terrified of holding it when it's small so I have to help him :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

What colours were people ordering? The only colours I've seen are black, red, pink and blue based ones. Would want to be fairly picky about it matching the colour of the car and the kids outfit at the same time for one of those not to be suitable. :D

robinph wrote: »
    What colours were people ordering? The only colours I've seen are black, red, pink and blue based ones. Would want to be fairly picky about it matching the colour of the car and the kids outfit at the same time for one of those not to be suitable. :D

And these are just the colours of one brand!

There are some beautiful colours and fabrics out there for them, I love them. The buggy we're going for comes in a good few but the only ones I like out of their range are lime green, a kind of sky blue and a black and white polka dot one, I think we'll most likely go for the lime green though, it's so cheerful.

If I was ordering the lovely Bugaboo I would go for a beautiful combo, I used to love the blue base with pink fabrics, such deep vibrant colours. But I just couldn't ever spend that much on a buggy! Eye watering prices, it is a good buggy though. We considered getting one second hand, but then the Maxi Cosi car seat and isofix base are so pricey that we could get another travel system completely new for less than the second hand Bugaboo and new car seat.

Yeah I thought I wanted a Bugaboo but I've seen so many of them around and they all look a bit wrecked so that's put me off. Also I want to get a BeSafe Izi Go car seat rather than Maxi Cosi so think Bugaboo is out!

Wrecked ones must be very old, Bugaboo last quite well usually with no damage, that's what was the only thing swaying me towards the second hand one. We're going to go for a Baby Elegance Beep Twist I think, easy to use, light, and cheap :D

Wrecked ones must be very old, Bugaboo last quite well usually with no damage, that's what was the only thing swaying me towards the second hand one. We're going to go for a Baby Elegance Beep Twist I think, easy to use, light, and cheap :D

Oh yeah that looks lovely, comes in loads of colours alright! The only thing that puts me off it really is that the car seat is a 3 point harness rather than a 5 point one

The isofix bases do so much of the work in holding the seat/baby in place that personally I wouldn't be bothered by 3/5 point harness. I read so much on car seat safety in that job, babies are actually rarely injured in car accidents, especially once the seat is rear facing, once the car seat passes safety regulations and is new/unused I'm satisfied with that. I don't understand all these people selling their car seats with their buggies online, you're really not supposed to buy used ones, so who does??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Yeah I thought I wanted a Bugaboo but I've seen so many of them around and they all look a bit wrecked so that's put me off. Also I want to get a BeSafe Izi Go car seat rather than Maxi Cosi so think Bugaboo is out!

We had the Besafe Izi Go with our Bugaboo. Love the Bugaboo, that and the car seat were pretty much the only things we got new. Joys of being the latest to have a baby in our friends and family :) A year in and it's in great condition. One dark spot on the canopy but that's because we were silly enough to go for a light colour and we're around dogs and walk on country lanes etc. Not sure I'd have bothered with the expense of the Bugaboo of Id known how much I'd use my sling. Husband is already pushing for the Bugaboo Donkey for this bub!

Advertisement