Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating Company Demanding 250 deposit within three weeks

Options
  • 02-09-2014 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am currently renting a city center apartment in Custom House Square in Dublin.
    Late last week I received a letter from Bord Gais Heat to advise that due to negotiations with my building management company they will no longer be providing heating service in the complex and that a new vendor has been selected who will henceforth provide heat from the end of the month on.

So last night I came home I came home to find a letter from this new company slipped under the door addressed to "dear resident" and advising that from the 24th of this month they will be my heating provider and enclosing all necessary forms to establish my account and notification that a €250 deposit will be required along with all forms in order to continue to receive service.

Am I wrong in saying that this seems incredibility shoddy. Firstly that a contract I entered into has been canceled due entirely to negotiations i was not party too. Secondly that there is no option of alternative company available and thirdly that a company has told me that they would like €250 within 3 weeks on top of normal bills or its cold showers for me.

Does anyone have any advise of recommendations on how to deal with this as I think the situation is completely unacceptable.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

daithimac wrote: »
    Does anyone have any advise of recommendations on how to deal with this as I think the situation is completely unacceptable.

Talk to your landlord. That's your only way to deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The owners of the apartments attended a meeting on this and opted to change supplier. The deposit requirement isn't much different to the deposit required on rented premises from most utility companies. The landlord is your first port of call on this one.

s a substantial thread on boards about this saga. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=92018234#post92018234

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithimac

The owners of the apartments attended a meeting on this and opted to change supplier. The deposit requirement isn't much different to the deposit required on rented premises from most utility companies. The landlord is your first port of call on this one.

s a substantial thread on boards about this saga. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=92018234#post92018234

Thanks for the link.
    I luckily haven't had any issues with being overcharged by bord gais but have felt the brunt of their terrible customer service. I wasn't aware there was such a saga.

My issue isn't with the fact that their is a deposit but rather the short length of notice about how it is due. if you want a couple of hundred euro off someone it makes sense to give them at least one paychecks worth of notice.

I'll get in touch with the landlord and clarify.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Is this really the norm in apartment developments. Do tenants not have the option of choosing their own energy provider. Trying to imagine the usefulness of an entire apartment complex sharing an energy provider.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Is this really the norm in apartment developments. Do tenants not have the option of choosing their own energy provider. Trying to imagine the usefulness of an entire apartment complex sharing an energy provider.
    Ease of managing it (something wrong everyone directed to one place, someone checking meters can do it all etc.), kick back for bulk sign up (no clue if they do it) and simply laziness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,058 ✭✭✭✭L1011

In this case it's a hot water provision system so it's not possible to have more than one supplier

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

MYOB wrote: »
    In this case it's a hot water provision system so it's not possible to have more than one supplier

How common are hot water provisions, in Ireland, never heard of it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,058 ✭✭✭✭L1011

How common are hot water provisions, in Ireland, never heard of it before.

They're not common at all. They should realistically notch the value / rental price down a fair bit as they're so awkward to work with.

Advertisement