Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions please: Sites on Kilkenny-Donegal Route

Options
  • 02-09-2014 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi
    I promised some foreign visitors a trip to Donegal. I have decided to go direct from Kilkenny to Donegal as going from Dublin is almost as long due to visa restrictions for crossing border

As it is a long trip I just wondered if any one ha s done it before and could suggest any points of interest/views etc more-or-less along the route . Small diversions would be ok - I would hate them to miss out on something along the way ( at the moment I am concentrating on what drives to take in Donegal itself)

Thanks

Comments

Lots of lovely lakeland country north of Athlone, - you could do a cruise on the Shannon. Killykeen Forest park wouldn't be too far off your route either. If your preferred route is further west there are lovely places in Sligo, -e.g. Benbulbin, Yeats country, Strandhill. And Birr Castle - a bit off your route but might be worth taking in - it has a great astronomy centre and lovely grounds -you could google it to see whats the score re opening hours etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Boyle in Roscommon is a good stop, it's got the Abbey and Lough Key forest park nearby.
    key.jpg

Kilbeggan Distillery is well worth a visit.
    http://www.kilbeggandistillery.com/

It's a slight detour before Athlone but well worth it to take in Clonmacnoise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

And if you go to Clonmacnoise, head in for a pint in Killeens in Shannonbridge, if you want a classic old fashioned irish type pub, you wont find much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Hi
    I promised some foreign visitors a trip to Donegal. I have decided to go direct from Kilkenny to Donegal as going from Dublin is almost as long due to visa restrictions for crossing border

As it is a long trip I just wondered if any one ha s done it before and could suggest any points of interest/views etc more-or-less along the route . Small diversions would be ok - I would hate them to miss out on something along the way ( at the moment I am concentrating on what drives to take in Donegal itself)

Thanks

used to do it constantly will take you 4 and a half to 5 hours driving tbh last thing you want is many pit stops

• Registered Users Posts: 8 American Horror Story

used to do it constantly will take you 4 and a half to 5 hours driving tbh last thing you want is many pit stops

Yes I was thinking that too. At the same time it might be an opportunity to see something ( for them more than me )

Birr castle is an option though I was there before. and hard to convey history to peoples whose home town is 5000 years old

I might be better off getting up there and spending the time on coastal drives etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Do yourself a massive favour and go via Dublin. You'll have motorway all the way from kilkenny to north of Kells co Meath on the M3. Taking the cross country route across the midlands sounds like torture to me !

road_high wrote: »
    Do yourself a massive favour and go via Dublin. You'll have motorway all the way from kilkenny to north of Kells co Meath on the M3. Taking the cross country route across the midlands sounds like torture to me !
    And in that case you could include Newgrange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

You'd end up with an even longer drive considering they have to divert to avoid Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

through the midlands is the quickest. Though passing through the north is no big deal with no stops or passport checks

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

100% agree drove it today Longford to Kilkenny most depressing drive ever

• Advertisement

through the midlands is the quickest. Though passing through the north is no big deal with no stops or passport checks

I've done Cavan to Kilkenny in about two hours, another two or so to Donegal. There is not a snowballs chance in hell of times like that going up the Midlands! Wouldn't be caught dead driving that way from KK.
    If the OP has to avoid NI (don't see why as there are no border checks) then obviously can't go this way as it brings you through Fermanagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Why would you have to avoid Northern Ireland? It's an open border. I've never had any trouble crossing it, with or without foreigners.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 American Horror Story

Einhard wrote: »
    Why would you have to avoid Northern Ireland? It's an open border. I've never had any trouble crossing it, with or without foreigners.

The student visa they are on is single entry and the college highlights the North in all there pre-sessional literature. I know its mostly insignificant. but if it here was a traffic accident etc it would in theory invalidate their visa and the college would not care less as they have got the cash by then .

IF ya knew the amount of things that go wrong , it would be just my luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

The student visa they are on is single entry and the college highlights the North in all there pre-sessional literature. I know its mostly insignificant. but if it here was a traffic accident etc it would in theory invalidate their visa and the college would not care less as they have got the cash by then .

IF ya knew the amount of things that go wrong , it would be just my luck
    You're right, people have got in trouble for this and some have been deported for illegal entry into the UK.

I think if this is the case (sounds preposterous) then still use the motorways.
    Take the M9 to Naas, cut acrss through Sallins, Clane and meet the M4 at Kilcock. The M4 ends at Mullingar, take the N4 road to Longord-Sligo-Donegal. That's the route I'd take.

Advertisement