Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Make extra cash with our coach

Options
  • 02-09-2014 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

Hi All,

I recently purchased a 16 seater Ford Transit for our sports club. This enables us to get to weekend away games and less people have to drive which makes it easier all round.

However the coach is now idle for most of the week and I would like to put it to work.
    The coach has had it's DOE done 7 weeks ago and seatbelt cert 2 weeks before that so they are up to date.
    I have a Taco and speed limiter fitted (a requirement for coach operation I believe?) and I even have a local licenced coach driver to drive said vehicle. Tax and Commercial Opendrive insurance is in place also.

I was hoping someone might have some ideas as to where I should market myself ?
    The coach is busy Saturday and Sunday so it would be weekday work I am after.
    Is there a Government or CIE website to tender for coach contracts ? as I would of course prefer something regular over a random one off hire.

If more info is required I will reply here, I am new to this area and just looking for some idea's from the good people of E&BM. and we are based on the North side of Dublin. I'm open to all suggestions.

Thank you kindly,
    Daithi

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,571 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

There are other requirements before you can hire out..
    IS you insurance in order to hire out to the public rather than just for your club.. How about public liability insurance.

PSV licencing and maybe CPC training..

http://www.nationaltransport.ie/taxi-and-bus-licensing/taxi/spsv-driver-licensing/apply-for-an-spsv-driver-licence/

Also.. is this market not already saturated in most towns ??

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Mr Clonfadda

Have you tried to market to Local Schools?

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭sysprogrammer

Brian,
    Thanks for taking the time to reply.
    We have a very good insurance policy as one of the lads works in the brokers. I opted for club only activities for now, But I did receive the quote to upgrade this insurance to 'Hire/Reward levels' and it's not too much extra.
    CPC and PSV tests are being planned for, we just bought the study material.

The market may already be saturated but I would like to have our coach available for hire, rather than looking at it all week. And if it provides some extra cash then great.

Hi ClonFadda,

I am not familiar with the process for school bus runs, do you know if I need to go through CIE for one of the contracts or are you talking about approaching the school directly? I ask only as I would like to have my Pitch & Pricing right before contacting the local school. thanks for your comments.

Really appreciate the ideas, and I suppose a school run would be best for Mon-Fri work, where might I ask about this would anyone know? (sorry for all the questions, this is a new area for me)

Daithi

• Registered Users Posts: 18,571 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I think those runs are up on the e-tenders website at particular times of the year. Obviously they'd all be filled now.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Mr Clonfadda

Hi OP
    I actually meant trips for matches, swimming etc, that Schools do.

This is outside the remit of the bus to school scheme which is run by Bus Eireann afaik.

• Advertisement

Again, thank you both.

I have experience on eTenders, just it's for my own work . But I will take a look again.

Thanks again ClonFadda, I now see what you are getting at and yes this is an avenue I will pursue. I will get a press pack together for advertising the bus.

I cannot say thank you enough, I'm lucky to have people with more experience like yourselves so easily contactable.
    The City Enterprise board would only talk to me at allotted times !

Much appreciated,
    Daithi

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Don't forget you'll need to make sure that there aren't any tax issues either:
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/gs1.pdf

Barney, I now owe you a pint. some excellent reading there and one of my favourite words "Exemption" appears !

thank you kindly,
    Daithi

Advertisement