Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying first lawn mower – advice required!

• 02-09-2014 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

Buying first lawn mower – advice required!

Hi All,

I recently finished building and have moved into a new house. I am now in the process of levelling the site and sowing a lawn. I’m going to have around 1 acre of lawn which is largely flat – very slight incline on one section. I’m starting to look at lawn mowers and I had a few questions –

· Is there a “good” time of the year to buy a lawnmower? I.e. low season winter, etc. Will I get a better price/deal if I buy during off season?

· I’m thinking tractor mower as I want to be able to cut the lawn as fast as possible – should I be thinking a 42” sized deck – I also need to be able to collect the grass

· I’m thinking of a budget of around €3000 (if I can do it cheaper great) is this realistic?
    · Do all makes of tractor lawn mowers drive the blades via belts? How do these handle striking objects on the lawn – i.e. if small kids leave balls etc. on the lawn?

· From what I’ve looked at a hydrostatic transmission seems to be the way to go – would that be the general consensus? Any other options that I should look out for, get?

· Are the different brands on the market much of a muchness? – I’ll be buying new and assuming the mower is well maintained and looks after are they all as good as each other?

Thanks for taking the time to look and any advice is much appreciated! Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

For getting deals, try lawn mower repair places. We got our mower at one, second hand. Very happy with it, for a fraction of the cost of new.

I don't have a tractor mower, so can't answer most of your q's. Some of it depends on the grass (grade 1/2/3 etc) and what you want your end result to be. If you want manicured lawns ala golf course, that's a different mower setup to something for kids to play football on and ride bikes on.

Advertisement