Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small scale steel fabriction: Adult version of meccano?

Options
  • 02-09-2014 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

I'd like to build a small (c. 500mm) arm which I can clamp onto an existing keyboard stand in order to support a drum pad (about 2 or 3kg in weight)
    I cannot weld. It would be great if there was something like meccano (lenghts of steel sections with holes for bolts) that I could use to make this, rather than get it custom welded together (which would probably cost a lot)
    Does such a thing as adult meccano exist?
    I am considering just buying some actual meccano (or seeing if I can find my childhood stuff if its still around somewhere) and making it out if that (it is steel after all!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

You could try Maplin, they do a steel strut which should be suitable for what you're looking for. If you needed it welded I'm pretty sure you could get it welded for free or very cheaply

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Have you ever seen Galvoband? Its a perforated galvanised steel strip that comes in 3 sizes in 10M rolls. The largest is about 25mm wide 2-3mm thick with large holes 8-10mm punched along the centre with smaller holes along the edges. Cut with a hacksaw or tin shears and easily bent with a hammer. Its a bit cheap and cheerful but easily got in any hardware store. Lick of paint and it'll be fine.
    B&Q do a range of metal sections (angle, box, T section, channel etc) which could be worth a look at.
    There's a brand of shelving Dexion that is built using lengths of an angle section that has holes and slots in it. Usually painted grey. At a guess its 50x50mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

Maybe some treaded bar and some angle attachments. There is Modular aluminium that is great stuff and can be got in small sizes but you will need to cut it to length. You could use unistrut but would be very heavy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Jimmy_M

Im no steel expert (classic disclaimer) - but what you want sounds pretty small and light weight. (apart from the repeated whacking it might get with a drum stick)

But instead of welding the metal or getting metal with holes - just drill the holes you require yourself and use bolts to secure. Alot of metals are actually quite easy to drill and cut with a hacksaw (in my limited experience with metal). You might get a length of something suitable in a metal supplier like dkennedy steel in palmerstown - they have a website

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Ezystrut make aluminium channel, for all the world like bigger aluminium meccano.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

http://www.8020.net/

Not necessarily from that website but it shows what's available and possible

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭grizzly_beer

Hey just wanna say thanks all! All good suggestions! I will investigate these options as I refine my design for this thing.
    I'll post some drawings too if anyone is interested

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭mikehn

Any car boot sales near you, I picked up a lamp at one for €2, its has an articulated arm that clamps onto the table edge and you can adjust the position. the shade over the tube if rotated upside down is like a dished tray that you could attach an object to. Any decent hardware / furniture store would stock them

Advertisement