Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cutting a few feet off my hedges

• 02-09-2014 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭

Hey,

My unlooked after hedges are nearing 10 feet and i want to cut them down to around 6 feet..... was thinking of purchasing a chainsaw to do this.... would a chainsaw be suitable for thick bushes?

Any other advice on what to do/not to do appreciated....first time doing this...
    I have a decent trimmer but cant see it getting through that amount of work.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭homer911

What type of hedging and whats the run?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,680 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If you have never used a chainsaw before it doesn't seem all that bright to start off by plunging into a hedge that could have branches coming from all directions, some thick and some thin, at head height. I could be wrong, or maybe I am just a worrywort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

boardie100 wrote: »
    Hey,

My unlooked after hedges are nearing 10 feet and i want to cut them down to around 6 feet..... was thinking of purchasing a chainsaw to do this.... would a chainsaw be suitable for thick bushes?

Any other advice on what to do/not to do appreciated....first time doing this...
    I have a decent trimmer but cant see it getting through that amount of work.

1)Would you think of renting out rather than buying a chainsaw
    2) Last year I went to the tool hire to rent a chainsaw to take down a hedge by 2 feet- they recommended a petrol trimmer - it did the job

I think if you use either a chainsaw or a petrol trimmer its cheaper to rent for a half day/day than to buy !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

looksee wrote: »
    If you have never used a chainsaw before it doesn't seem all that bright to start off by plunging into a hedge that could have branches coming from all directions, some thick and some thin, at head height. I could be wrong, or maybe I am just a worrywort.

+1 You are not the only one! The chainsaw saw will skid all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭boardie100

Oldtree wrote: »
    +1 You are not the only one! The chainsaw saw will skid all over the place.

thanks guys, yes i am a little worried about using a chainsaw if im honest, i have a petrol trimmer but some of the hedging is quite thick, plus there is a lot of them.... it would take me foreever i think! so would like something to get the job done quicker

the thickest hedge im not sure what its called, it has pink flowers when left to grow... the others are grisselini (pardon my spelling)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

How long are your hedges? You could buy a loppers Aldi and Lidl have them in around now. Great tools

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

You won't be able to rent a chain saw. No one will insure them.
    If it's a bushy hedge a hedge trimmer will work get some scaffold to get you high enough to work easily. If it's leylandi or such you will need a chainsaw, borrow one or buy one. Strip the tree down to the trunk first then cut that. Don't try cutting the entire thing in one go. Again get your self high enough to work with out reaching over your head.
    If you do use a chain saw be careful, their for cutting big timber not hedge trimming, the little branches will whip round and torment you, use a loppers for thicker branches, only use the saw for branches bigger than your wrist. You will probably need to rent a shredder as well to get rid of that much trimmings.
    TBH if you can get a tractor and hedge trimmer in near the hedge it might be worth it. Cleaning up is apita but for a fast cut it cant be beat. Job done in one day.

How long are your hedges? You could buy a loppers Aldi and Lidl have them in around now. Great tools

the hedges are about 25 feet long on three sides..... and about 10 feet high, are loppers like extended clippers?... is so i can imagine theyll take me forever to get through the hedges....
    i got a quote for around 350 from a gardener to do them so am even thinking of purchasing a chain saw for that amount....

I find them a pain in the arse if im honest, they've gotton out of control and i want to cut them right back...

have no way of getting a tractor in so it will be all manual... I have a new petrol trimmer but i dont think it will cut through the thick bush that easily... Took be a while to cut down a similar thick bush out the front that was only small in comparison

There are very good pull hand saws available for this type of work. (use thick gloves)

Oldtree wrote: »
    There are very good pull hand saws available for this type of work. (use thick gloves)

care to recommend one?.... is a pull hand saw just a normal saw?

• Advertisement

the hedges are about 25 feet long on three sides..... and about 10 feet high, are loppers like extended clippers?... is so i can imagine theyll take me forever to get through the hedges....
    i got a quote for around 350 from a gardener to do them so am even thinking of purchasing a chain saw for that amount....

I find them a pain in the arse if im honest, they've gotton out of control and i want to cut them right back...

have no way of getting a tractor in so it will be all manual... I have a new petrol trimmer but i dont think it will cut through the thick bush that easily... Took be a while to cut down a similar thick bush out the front that was only small in comparison

Loppers can cut thick branches that your hedge trimmer won't clip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭pawrick

the thickest hedge im not sure what its called, it has pink flowers when left to grow... the others are grisselini (pardon my spelling)

Is the pink one Escalloniaceae http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escalloniaceae

we have that at home in the parents house and use a petrol trimmers on it. You would need something stronger for the central branches though if cutting it right down, we used a small power saw once the smaller branches were cleared. I've never used a chainsaw so can't say if it would be suitable. Careful with frost though as we killed one of the hedges cutting it too far back around Sept a few years ago.

care to recommend one?.... is a pull hand saw just a normal saw?
    It is a saw that cuts on the pull rather than the push. there are loads in DIY's, I have an expensive Silky one,

http://www.silkysaws.com/Silky_Saws/Straight-Saws/Natanoko-60-330mm-Saw-933#sthash.n7qG9b6v.dpbs

A bow saw would be no harm to get either, along with a loppers.

pawrick wrote: »
    Is the pink one Escalloniaceae http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escalloniaceae

we have that at home in the parents house and use a petrol trimmers on it. You would need something stronger for the central branches though if cutting it right down, we used a small power saw once the smaller branches were cleared. I've never used a chainsaw so can't say if it would be suitable. Careful with frost though as we killed one of the hedges cutting it too far back around Sept a few years ago.

thats the exact one.... we had it on one side and is the most painful to get back...

Loppers can cut thick branches that your hedge trimmer won't clip

cheers, aldi do actually have them on special from today... gonna pop down later

they also have this...
    https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/thursday-4-september/products-detail-page/ps/p/electric-pole-pruner/

wonder would it be useful for my job?

If it's a one off, get a professional to do it. You'll be able to maintain it yourself afterwards.

If it's a one off, get a professional to do it. You'll be able to maintain it yourself afterwards.

we were going to but the quote we got was nearing 400 euro.... dont have that at the moment.... i could get a very good chainsaw for that and try it myself but as i said before im not experienced user of them...

cheers, aldi do actually have them on special from today... gonna pop down later

they also have this...
    https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/thursday-4-september/products-detail-page/ps/p/electric-pole-pruner/

wonder would it be useful for my job?

I'd go with the loppers first and see how you go. Really can't recommend them enough. For a manual tool they snip through thick branches with ease. I use them on my leylandi

I'd go with the loppers first and see how you go. Really can't recommend them enough. For a manual tool they snip through thick branches with ease. I use them on my leylandi

picked up an extendable one today in aldi, also got an extendable shears, all for less than 20 euro..... good value

picked up an extendable one today in aldi, also got an extendable shears, all for less than 20 euro..... good value

Have them myself from couple years ago. Let me know how you go

• Advertisement

The good value will depend on how well the tool works and how long it lasts. I have long since given up on bargins and invested in pro tools.

Have them myself from couple years ago. Let me know how you go

well had a crack at it the weekend and they came in very handy indeed, the fact they were extenable helped me in a few awkward spots..
    I got a new petrol trimmer a couple weeks ago and was surprised how it got through some of the thick hedges... I got them down about a foot but most of the hard work is done know :) ...
    a chain saw would have been a mistake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭mister gullible

If it was me I would use a chain saw but I don't think it's a good idea for a novice. If you do get one be aware of the following:
    You are working at or above head height so the saw is hard to control if it kicks off any branches, it could hit your head or face.
    The smaller branches will tend to catch the chain and force it off the bar so you need to be comfortable with replacing the chain on the bar and sprocket a few times.
    It's faster than a hand saw but also takes more strength and energy, a few minutes of holding a chain saw in the air is very tiring on the arms.

If in any doubt take a little extra time and use a bow saw. It will also do a neater job.

Advertisement