Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unsolicited Call

Options
  • 02-09-2014 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭

Just had a call from a UK number apparently from fx 24 in london.
    Had to google them when I got home. From what I can see they are a currency exchange company. Can't see why they would be calling me so naturally I am suspcious of the call. Maybe someone else has been contacted by them or recognises the number.

Number below
    +442033230675

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Possibly they rang your number by mistake. They have an Irish url as well. https://www.irelandfx.com/contact-us/

When I was working in hotels, we got calls from an FX company. I think it's the same one here but not positive. They called about once a week to check we were displaying the correct rates on the board and the machine was showing correct rates for the day etc. So perhaps just a misdialled number from one of their agents.

Did you answer it and talk to someone or was it a missed call?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Yawns wrote: »
    Possibly they rang your number by mistake. They have an Irish url as well. https://www.irelandfx.com/contact-us/

When I was working in hotels, we got calls from an FX company. I think it's the same one here but not positive. They called about once a week to check we were displaying the correct rates on the board and the machine was showing correct rates for the day etc. So perhaps just a misdialled number from one of their agents.

Did you answer it and talk to someone or was it a missed call?

I answered but his response was as if I had called him. I couldn't hear him very well, and he has not attempted to call back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

o so for all you know it was a wrong number then. Seems like a bit of a mountain out of a molehill tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

I'd chalk it down as a mistake in this case. If it was a scam of some kind, he would have tried to sell you something, gotten cc details or kept you on the phone forever. I'd only worry if it was repeated calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Farty88

Just after getting the exact same number ringing me too???? I don't answer strange numbers so I can't exactly say who it was.but the fact you've had the exact number call you I'd imagine it's a scam call

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

To be fair, not every call like this is a "scam". There's a strong probability that it's also a market research or cold sales call, which are all honest ventures (perhaps undesired granted).

Many calls originate from the switches at call centres, which could represent multiple clients.

In any case, if you're not comfortable answering the number, then don't answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

dudara wrote: »
    To be fair, not every call like this is a "scam". There's a strong probability that it's also a market research or cold sales call, which are all honest ventures (perhaps undesired granted).

Many calls originate from the switches at call centres, which could represent multiple clients.

In any case, if you're not comfortable answering the number, then don't answer.

Similarly a little known fact is if you get a call from them and it is sales/market research, just simply say: no thanks and "I would prefer if you didnt call again". If you calmly say that there is no issue whatsoever with them filtering your number out so its not called again! Its easily solvable =]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Similarly a little known fact is if you get a call from them and it is sales/market research, just simply say: no thanks and "I would prefer if you didnt call again". If you calmly say that there is no issue whatsoever with them filtering your number out so its not called again! Its easily solvable =]

I agree, when I get these calls I just explain that I do not want to take part in their survey etc and ask that they remove me from their call list. I have never had any problems with it and at this stage I very rarely get these calls any more.

Advertisement