Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help! How to carry spare tyres home from work?

• 02-09-2014 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭

I have just received two new tyres from Wiggle via post to my workplace.

Does anyone have any advice for me about how to cycle home with them? They are wire rimmed.

If I can't manage it then my plan B is to drive in to collect them :pac:

I don't want to change them at work as then I'll still have the old tyres to bring home anyway.

Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Just put them over your head and under one arm and you will be able to cycle with them no hassle.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Got a backpack? If so, attach them to it with bungie cords. Or just plain string if you don't have bungies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

Over your shoulder or twist into a figure of 8 and wear them ruck sack style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Just tape them to your frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭krinpit

Over your shoulder or twist into a figure of 8 and wear them ruck sack style.

I've seen that being done in old Tour de France footage. I'm a bit worried that it will kink the wire in the tyre though!

• Advertisement

Got a backpack? If so, attach them to it with bungie cords. Or just plain string if you don't have bungies.

I think that's a good idea. My backpack actually has elastic ties on it. It should get me home safely.

Thanks a mill.

logik wrote: »
    Just put them over your head and under one arm and you will be able to cycle with them no hassle.

I will definitely give it a go. I can imagine that there'll be a fair bit of awkwardness with this though!! You're not winding me up are you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

logik wrote: »

I've done this for 9km with 2 tyres, it's very easy.
    Plus they're brand new so you won't get dirty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

krinpit wrote: »
    I will definitely give it a go. I can imagine that there'll be a fair bit of awkwardness with this though!! You're not winding me up are you?
    I've done it loads of times - not awkward at all.

Alternatively twist into a figure of 8 and tape loops together so you have half the diameter and carry over wrists. They wont kink.

No, not at all. You can do this easily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

1925-il-vincitore-Ottavio-B.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

usually just above the waist, takes a while to remove..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Use a stick!

Boys_with_hoops_on_Chesnut_Street.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Alternatively, you can do a three-way twist which compresses the tyre pretty small without kinking the wire. It's a bit hard to figure out at first but, if you've ever managed to fold up a kids' pop-up tent, it's the same method...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

just stick them aroun your waist and keep them there by gyrating your hips, a la a hula hooping movement.

So I went with the figure of 8 trick. I think that I looked pretty bad ass :-)

Thanks everybody for the advice and the humour.

So I went with the figure of 8 trick. I think that I looked pretty bad ass :-)

Thanks everybody for the advice and the humour.

Welcome :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

just waiting for you to turn up on the "oddest thing I've seen on a bike" thread now :D

Advertisement