Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrician Quote

Options
  • 02-09-2014 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hello, I'm new here and hoping this is posted in the correct place. I'm renovating the upstairs of a dormer bungalow that involves a new bathroom and extending two bedrooms.

The work involved the following:

(i) 4 double sockets
    (ii) 2 regular light fittings
    (iii) 13 recessed LED lights
    (iv) 2 lights in the attic
    (v) Wire the shower
    (vi) Non priority shower unit
    (vi) 2 heat detectors and 2 smoke alarms wired.

I was given a ballpark figure from the contractor of 600 euro for labour and parts. This seemed very reasonable. Now that the job has been done, the bill has arrived at 1800 euro, which seems excessive, particularly when no chasing of walls is required. The contractor made a mistake I know, but if the price of 1800 is reasonable I am prepared to pay it. Does this price seem correct?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Junior

How long is a piece of string - what was the contractor asked to quote for and what was involved are two seperate things.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 pmccabe

The contractor quoted a ballpark figure as an allowance towards all electrical work involved in the renovation. The roof was being raised with the attic space used to build a bathroom and extend the 2 bedrooms.

There were no specifics given at this stage but it was understood that sockets and basic light fittings were needed and the fan (which i forgot to include above) and shower would need wired. I knew that this was an allowance and subject to change.

The contractor had not factored in the requirement to install 2 smoke alarms and 2 heat detectors. The extras that we requested were 13 recessed Led lights as well as two lights in the front attic. The electricians came for a day or two to run cables when teh framework of the build was up (all wood frame), so no chasing required.

Tripling the original estimate was more than i had expected , but, as I say, if its what is reasonable then I will be content. Any information would be most welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

Seems a bit much alright and should have been agreed before they started the job. Not really a Waterford issue as such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Autonomous

Extras are always going to be dearer than original quote, you should have discussed this at the time of adding/requesting the extras.
    I'd say pay up and learn from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Why dont you get him to itemise the bill. Ask him why its this much? Post this up in this forum too.......http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1018

• Advertisement
Advertisement