Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CO2 or MiniPumps?

• 02-09-2014 2:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭

This might be an ecumenical matter, but looking for some expert views;

which is better when going on a spin?

I had a mini pump before that was nicked. PITA to reflate the tyre but was compact.
    I use a track pump at home.

I've never used CO2 before - are they straightforward and reliable to use?

For the commute, I keep a frame pump in the pannier and that is fine. This would only be for spins on the road bike.

In an unrelated question - I managed to put a brand new tube through the washing machine. Is it still good?!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

I put a tube through the washing machine and it was fine when used. Only downside was that the powder on it to stop it sticking to itself was all washed off so I didn't risk wrapping it up tight again in a saddle bag.

I use a mini pump. I have 2 tubes and a puncture repair kit with me on long spins. I'd need to bring enough CO2 cartridges for all of that or reduce my levels of paranoia. Easier for me to bring a mini-pump than to get less paranoid. Best of both worlds might be to have both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I use both.

Small pump to inflate the tube just enough to fit it into the tyre. then use a canister to inflate it to the Max pressure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I always take both. If I had to take one, I'd opt for the mini-pump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

can you guys explain the logic of having both?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jober

I have used both

after been left stuck up the mountains after 2 co2 canisters didn't work properly (more than likely my own fault doing something wrong :confused:) I have returned to using mini pump
    I just don't trust the co2 now

• Advertisement

Multiple punctures - mini pump isn't a 'one use only' device.

and to the ecumenics of the matter;

suggestions on minipumps / Co2 pumps?!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Multiple punctures or making a b***s of inflating the first one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

Mini pump for me. I've had (extremely rarely, but it happened) one or two spins where I've gotten 3 punctures.

This was many, many years ago, but without a mini pump, and a patch kit I'd have had a loooooong walk home, or would have had to rely on the kindness of a stranger.

Nowadays it's mini pump, one or two tubes depending on length of spin, and a small patch kit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

ezra_ wrote: »
    and to the ecumenics of the matter;

suggestions on minipumps / Co2 pumps?!

I've had something very similar to this for literally a decade at this stage.

Edit: Chainreaction have it here.
    Thinking back I've actually had it since 1998.
    If I were buying again I'd pay the little extra and buy this one because it's a pretty little thing...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Both. Minipump to search out and repair a puncture (if required) but also to identify where the puncture happened so as to locate the bit of glass still embedded in the tyre that's going to puncture the spare tube too.

CO2 'cos I'm too lazy to spend that amount of time pumping to get a decent rolling pressure afterwards...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

CO2 only. If I puncture more than twice I'm out of tubes anyway so the whole multi use argument doesn't cut it for me.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭DaithiMC

quozl wrote: »
    I put a tube through the washing machine and it was fine when used. Only downside was that the powder on it to stop it sticking to itself was all washed off so I didn't risk wrapping it up tight again in a saddle bag.

Sprinkle with talcum powder and it will restore its anti-sticking properties!

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭DaithiMC

Double post

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Brian? wrote: »
    CO2 only. If I puncture more than twice I'm out of tubes anyway so the whole multi use argument doesn't cut it for me.

Two tubes and patches / repair kit + mini pump. If I'm in the middle of nowhere of a Sunday afternoon, a rescue mission would involve herself calling a halt to the Sunday lunch, packing kids and most probably aged mother in-law in car, and getting lost on the tiny back roads trying to find me. Not worth it for anything less than a broken limb, probably a leg or better and a reasonable amount of blood. If you cycle with a crew on well travelled roads it is one thing, if you're solo on a longish haul, its worth taking a few extra precautions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-co2-tyre-inflator/

I use this one. It's well made, very sturdy and light. When used with a 16 gramme cartridge, it will put 110psi into a 700 X 23 tyre, in 2 seconds.

Brian? wrote: »
    CO2 only..
    Just wondering.....how do you part inflate the tube prior to fitting?

(I'm presuming you blow into it. Something I can't seem to do. There must be a knack to it!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

I use one of these http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/airwave-motion-mini-pump/rp-prod42197

It's like a mini track pump.

250 "pumps" and a 25c Conti 4000s tyre/tube is up to 118/120 psi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

if going solo, both.
    if with group, just CO2. someone else will have a pump, but a lot of times my CO is called upon for a top off!

comparison here:
    http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/product-news/7-of-the-best-co2-inflators-1351

Ive the elite, scored well and simple to use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

(I'm presuming you blow into it. Something I can't seem to do. There must be a knack to it!)

Co2 only but like the look of that mini pump linked a few posts ago.

I just blow into it prior to fitting. The missus is always telling me I'm full of hot air.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Open the valve, press the core down and blow. It doesn't take much.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭martyc5674

I have a mini pump that you can pop a co2 cylinder into...best of both worlds.. Of course I've never used it with gas!.. Pump works fine tho...think it's specialized.
    Marty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I had a mini pump that took a co2 cartridge but it fell apart on me after one too many spills on the MTB.
    Only take co2 with me these days plus two tubes and a tyre patch.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

CO2 all the way.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Any recommendations on where to pick up CO2 canisters?

Thanks guys - ordered a C02 pump/cartridges and a minipump this morning.

Advertisement