Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where are the salmon going?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Mr Bumble wrote: »
    Unless you worked a bailiff in an area like Dan's dad over many, many years, i can't see how your observations or mine have the same weight. It was his livelihood and he was a professional water-keeper, essentially.
    Are you on the water every day?
    Are you employed as a fisheries officer?
    If so, I bow to your wisdom but if not, you're like the rest of us.....concerned anglers with opinions.
    I would also point out that neither myself or dan have engaged in semantics.
    I am also amazed at how the normally very chatty zippy hasn't answered my question about his own potential vested interest which is surely relevant. I have no connection with any fisheries body, state or otherwise.
    He obviously used up a lot of energy misreading both my posts and dans. I have rarely seen someone miss the points being made so spectacularly.
    The only people who emerge with any credit out of all of this are the IFI staff on the ground.
    I think Dan can well respond for himself - and I accept his personal experiences.
    I also don't feel I have to justify my own experiences to you. I wrote fact based on over 60 years fishing. Yes I am on the water 5 days a week at least - river, lake and coast. My profession is immaterial but I was, as it happens, involved in wildlife and environmental protection and active in the field for over 40 years. Satisfied????

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Mr Bumble

No, not really.
    You are not and have not been a fisheries protection officer then. Dans father was. The experience he has is surely more relevant than yours. I didn't ask you to justify yourself.
    You clearly feel that you have wisdom to bestow on this forum and by virtue of being here for a while, you words carry extra weight. They actually don't.
    Most forums go this way. Honest debate has to be filtered though ego.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I'd say pollution in upstream areas doesn't help, especially with the way some houses were thrown up recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Mod. Attack the post, not the poster. This is a first and final warning

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭rpmcmurphy

No, not really.
    You are not and have not been a fisheries protection officer then. Dans father was. The experience he has is surely more relevant than yours. I didn't ask you to justify yourself.
    You clearly feel that you have wisdom to bestow on this forum and by virtue of being here for a while, you words carry extra weight. They actually don't.
    Most forums go this way. Honest debate has to be filtered though ego.

I don't think that anyone's profession is anyone else's business and completely irrelevant to the op topic. You dismiss someone who has a lifetime of experience in environmental/ecological/angling areas yet attempt to add weight to Dan's opinions based on the experiences of someone else i.e. his father. My dog once won a prize in a local agricultural show. I don't plan on entering myself into next year's working-dog section in Cruffs.

• Advertisement

How is fisheries protection and those who do it irrelevant to the topic? Where do I "dismiss someone". Never happened. I give more weight to one opinion than another.
    I think it is entirely reasonable to ask someone to back up their opinion with relevant experience.
    The semantic argument was a dispute over Dan's claim that there could be as many as 10,000 nets around our coast. My opinion is that he may not be far off the truth. That's the simplicity of it.
    And Mod, if you check back, I think you'll find that posts by myself and Dan were attacked by a contributor. No warning there? Why not?

Owenea, Inagh and ballinahinch are showing lively salmon numbers this week after the rain. The Erriff and Moy are also reporting improvements.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

And Mod, if you check back, I think you'll find that posts by myself and Dan were attacked by a contributor. No warning there? Why not?

If you have a problem with a mod decision, PM them. Do not do it on thread

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Flysfisher

Owenea, Inagh and ballinahinch are showing lively salmon numbers this week after the rain. The Erriff and Moy are also reporting improvements.

Just back from two days on the moy. Ignore those IFI reports they are all crap. the fishing is very poor, awful.
    Terrible season.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

Flysfisher wrote: »
    Just back from two days on the moy. Ignore those IFI reports they are all crap. the fishing is very poor, awful.
    Terrible season.

Now I prefer to take the info from the man on the ground then a person behind a computer desk...

Why is it so terrible do you think?

• Advertisement

Flysfisher wrote: »
    Terrible season.

I was just going by the success two of my nephews had there last week. The fish they had looked fit and in good shape - all released. But it must be sporadic so.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 anthonyc123

I fish on the Owenea. While the salmon numbers are up on what they were earlier in the year. It's still nowhere near where it was 2-3 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

Erm no mention that this is far from an Irish problem ? Every country with a run of Atlantic Salmon are reporting low numbers. Greenland however have had a bumper resumption to their netting program, I should mention too the Faroes are enjoyed a good netting season too.

Interesting point stylie and very relevant to the discussion. More nets!! Can't really get away from them - be it in Greenland or Greenore. Whatever is happening at sea in an environmental sense is still murky. But nets are nets, physical things which can be destroyed. One pull through a pool can wipe out an entire generation. If the fish that do make it back are on restaurant tables or being hawked around our towns, we're doing a pretty good job of wiping out the species before you even consider factors at sea.

BTW...I would recommend "The Salmon" by Michael Wigan which takes a bit of reading but is a remarkable study of the economics of the salmon and how America's early development was very closely linked to East Coast salmon runs. It opened my eyes to many things I never knew or understood about salmon, historically and economically.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Pike Eater

It's becoming hard to catch anything around Dublin Kildare Offaly etc. think I might take a trip further a field this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

Interesting point stylie and very relevant to the discussion. More nets!! Can't really get away from them - be it in Greenland or Greenore. Whatever is happening at sea in an environmental sense is still murky. But nets are nets, physical things which can be destroyed. One pull through a pool can wipe out an entire generation. If the fish that do make it back are on restaurant tables or being hawked around our towns, we're doing a pretty good job of wiping out the species before you even consider factors at sea.

BTW...I would recommend "The Salmon" by Michael Wigan which takes a bit of reading but is a remarkable study of the economics of the salmon and how America's early development was very closely linked to East Coast salmon runs. It opened my eyes to many things I never knew or understood about salmon, historically and economically.

I read that book also and I actually have it on sale on eBay!

Yes Greenland has a lot to answer for but the sad reality is all we in Ireland can do is get our side of the street clean...

Remember if everybody agreed with everything there would not be a human race, the IFI need an opposition everybody just agreeing with them and as far as I am concerned they not even at 20%...

Tight lines...

• Registered Users Posts: 21 anthonyc123

One last question: The anglers catch are published every year. Is there somewhere we can view the catch report for the estuary netters?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 josephxxx451

fisheriesireland.ie/Salmon-Management/wild-salmon-and-sea-trout-statistics.html

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Flysfisher

danbrosnan wrote: »
    Now I prefer to take the info from the man on the ground then a person behind a computer desk...

Why is it so terrible do you think?

The hard winers of 2010 and 2011 killed a lot of eggs.

Advertisement