Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will we ever see Qatar Airways serve Dublin?

Options
  • 02-09-2014 4:34pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭

Gulf Air served Dublin before and then they eventually pulled out, Aer Lingus then flew to Dubai for a while before they too pulled out. Etihad was first in and then Emirates came in 2012, both Airlines will soon be flying two flights a day to the Middle East and their plethora of connections onwards. Turkish also competes out of Dublin also.

I'd like to see Qatar Airways fly in with the 787, considering Etihad, Emirates and Turkish can all find room then I'm sure Qatar could find space also. I know Emirates and Etihad have the 777-300 which gives additional cargo earnings also. Although one thing I have found about Qatar is they are always very expensive to fly on, compared with Etihad or Emirates, I wonder is the Irish market capable of sustaining all of the ME3?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭paddythe goat

We will give paddythe goat the benefit of the doubt. I guess this was a mis-post.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Lombardo86

need extension to my kitchen..................contacted 3 builders in june 2014.....all said will be back in 2 to 3 weeks with best price for the job....................heard nothing back from all 3...................is it me??? do i smell or what...............please help me out here....................................thought we were in some kind of recession....and dat all builders were seeking work..........................am i losing the plot

eh.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Stinicker wrote: »
    Gulf Air served Dublin before and then they eventually pulled out, Aer Lingus then flew to Dubai for a while before they too pulled out. Etihad was first in and then Emirates came in 2012, both Airlines will soon be flying two flights a day to the Middle East and their plethora of connections onwards. Turkish also competes out of Dublin also.

I'd like to see Qatar Airways fly in with the 787, considering Etihad, Emirates and Turkish can all find room then I'm sure Qatar could find space also. I know Emirates and Etihad have the 777-300 which gives additional cargo earnings also. Although one thing I have found about Qatar is they are always very expensive to fly on, compared with Etihad or Emirates, I wonder is the Irish market capable of sustaining all of the ME3?

EK/EY are now both 2x daily to DXB/AUH, so in total four daily flights of which 3 are operated by B773's to the UAE. That is a tremendous achievement for the DAA, and the traffic continues to grow. Gulf Air I hear actually performed well enough to Bahrain, but pulled it along with a lot of other routes during there restructuring around 2007. EI were never committed to the DXB route, 3 weekly flights which provided nothing for anyone with connections, had they signed a codeshare with EK it would have been a major success. And anyway as soon as Open Skies was announced EI ditched DXB for more US expansion. I think Qatar will arrive on the seen soon, have no idea of a timescale though but the B787 would be an excellent aircraft between DUB-DOH.

need extension to my kitchen..................contacted 3 builders in june 2014.....all said will be back in 2 to 3 weeks with best price for the job....................heard nothing back from all 3...................is it me??? do i smell or what...............please help me out here....................................thought we were in some kind of recession....and dat all builders were seeking work..........................am i losing the plot

Now do you want Gold taps or silver cause I have both available and am able to throw up an extension in the next few weeks, do I need my own lego blocks or will you supply them ?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Jack1985 wrote: »
    EK/EY are now both 2x daily to DXB/AUH, so in total four daily flights of which 3 are operated by B773's to the UAE. That is a tremendous achievement for the DAA...... I think Qatar will arrive on the seen soon, have no idea of a timescale though but the B787 would be an excellent aircraft between DUB-DOH.

Personally I think QR would be mad to 'waste' a resource such a B787 on an highly competitive rout into DUB. However isn't the B787 designed to undercut the operating costs of 'current aircraft'? So I am welcome to being wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Tenger wrote: »
    Personally I think QR would be mad to 'waste' a resource such a B787 on an highly competitive rout into DUB. However isn't the B787 designed to undercut the operating costs of 'current aircraft'? So I am welcome to being wrong.

Generally speaking all three ME3 carriers have huge resources to try out new routes namely one of them being an endless supply of new aircraft. Carriers with larger orders (for e.g. Ryanair) generally tend to be more optimistic and willing to expand into markets, conservative carriers would avoid due to lack of orders and a mindset to protect existing margins/markets.

As has always been the case when a single carrier on a route, meets competition the market is stimulated - EK/EY still seem to be doing very well, especially on cargo/transfers. P2P is probably at the bottom of there performance tables, but I've yet to hear either of them is in trouble with the huge increase in capacity and growing number of bookings. For example when I finished duty yesterday I spotted 30 lads in suits holding Emirates placards for First Class passengers in T2, I think the most I've seen before is around 15. I've no doubt QR would fit well in, I certainly don't see a single daily service competing against existing four daily services with EK/EY topping performance broadly to the ME. It should be noted too EK could be using there other B773's with less First/Business seats if the demand was purely eco transfer however on every flight I've seen, there seems to be a hell of a lot in First/Business. A very lucrative market when it is served right it would seem.

Worth remembering Dubai and Abu Dhabi are very attractive one stop transfers for the Far East and Australia etc rather than two stops via Heathrow or any other European airport that's why they are doing so well.

But having said that Heathrow traffic is on the up and BA has increased flights as a result.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Jack1985 wrote: »
    Generally speaking all three ME3 carriers have huge resources to try out new routes namely one of them being an endless supply of new aircraft. Carriers with larger orders (for e.g. Ryanair) generally tend to be more optimistic and willing to expand into markets, conservative carriers would avoid due to lack of orders and a mindset to protect existing margins/markets.

As has always been the case when a single carrier on a route, meets competition the market is stimulated - EK/EY still seem to be doing very well, especially on cargo/transfers. P2P is probably at the bottom of there performance tables, but I've yet to hear either of them is in trouble with the huge increase in capacity and growing number of bookings. For example when I finished duty yesterday I spotted 30 lads in suits holding Emirates placards for First Class passengers in T2, I think the most I've seen before is around 15. I've no doubt QR would fit well in, I certainly don't see a single daily service competing against existing four daily services with EK/EY topping performance broadly to the ME. It should be noted too EK could be using there other B773's with less First/Business seats if the demand was purely eco transfer however on every flight I've seen, there seems to be a hell of a lot in First/Business. A very lucrative market when it is served right it would seem.

When I came back from America we came through to the doors and all we could see was Emirates cards everywhere. A bit weird it was if there was some celebrity coming or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭cookie24

I hope so. They do a great service

It would want to be soon, as in the next two years. As the competition between the current two firms up one of them is likely to add a third daily flight in the next 12 months.

Like what has been said already it's 3x 777-300 and 1xA330-200 flights per day. That and the return flights is a lot of seats to the Middle East. There is obviously a huge market for people going long haul East from Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭FuzzyDunlop100

Maybe they'd use their A340-600's....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Maybe they'd use their A340-600's....

How would they handle Dublin's runway? Has there ever been an A340-600 in Dublin before? Maybe a Virgin Atlantic diversion during the big snow storms in England before? I'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

DUB can (and has) handled A340-600's before. I can't imagine that Qatar would use them on a Dublin route, even if it was ever to launch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

How would they handle Dublin's runway? Has there ever been an A340-600 in Dublin before? Maybe a Virgin Atlantic diversion during the big snow storms in England before? I'm not sure.

Does an A340-600 need extra long runway to take off / land ?

or you mean parking ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

I don't get what the problem is, the runway at Dublin is 9,000 feet. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

must be parking so ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Can you get a full weight 340 off 28, nope need 10,000+ feet at MTOW

The A346 is 1.4m longer than the 773 that Dublin currently handles daily.

People have this automatic assumption that because dublins runway is shorter than Shannon that it can't handle big stuff. It can and does handle aircraft up to AN124 the second largest aircraft there is. We have never had the AN225 in I would imagine it would struggle.

People also have an obsession with aircraft being able to depart at MTOW, something that most aircraft only ever achieve Heavily loaded with Pax, cargo and fuel. Aer Lingus operate an A332 to San Francisco off of 28. Going to Doha in an A346 should be done with ease.

Yes Dublin should have a longer runway (we can blame the Shannon lobbiest for the current one).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

For maximum flexibility and revenue you want to get the most passengers, freight on a flight.

If the wind is wrong on a warm day even below MTOW you could have to leave someone or some stuff behind. Already 1000 feet short on MTOW.

For maximum flexibility and revenue you want to get the most passengers, freight on a flight.

If the wind is wrong on a warm day even below MTOW you could have to leave someone or some stuff behind. Already 1000 feet short on MTOW.

I remember back in 2000-2001 EI had a thriving cargo demand on their DUB-LAX. There were quite a few occasions where the aircraft was weight restricted and left with 30-50 empty seats. Better to offload, rebook and compensate pax rather than offload the cargo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

Tenger wrote: »
    I remember back in 2000-2001 EI had a thriving cargo demand on their DUB-LAX. There were quite a few occasions where the aircraft was weight restricted and left with 30-50 empty seats. Better to offload, rebook and compensate pax rather than offload the cargo.

We used to have to do that back in the early 2000's with the 200's, on the south of Spain flights, first thing to come off was the Golf Bags, I remember off loading 65 sets of clubs on one flight, nasty

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I agree that if they want to start they should do so ASAP. It was mentioned earlier about the ME3's huge capacity to start new up new routes. this same capacity also allows them to fend off competitors. Look at FCO recently. as soon as Alitalia and EY announced their partnership, EK announced massive capacity upgrades at FCO. Many posters on airliners.net think this is just a way of protecting their turf as opposed to increasing capacity to serve demand. No doubt the same would happen in Dublin,

On the whole, the success of EY and EK at Dublin has been remarkable, EK must be kicking themselves that they didn't start the route years earlier. They were clearly hugely underestimating demand given the route has gone from 1x A332 to 2x B77W Daily in under three years

Zonda999 wrote: »
    I agree that if they want to start they should do so ASAP. It was mentioned earlier about the ME3's huge capacity to start new up new routes. this same capacity also allows them to fend off competitors. Look at FCO recently. as soon as Alitalia and EY announced their partnership, EK announced massive capacity upgrades at FCO. Many posters on airliners.net think this is just a way of protecting their turf as opposed to increasing capacity to serve demand. No doubt the same would happen in Dublin,

On the whole, the success of EY and EK at Dublin has been remarkable, EK must be kicking themselves that they didn't start the route years earlier. They were clearly hugely underestimating demand given the route has gone from 1x A332 to 2x B77W Daily in under three years

The exact same thing happens with Ryanair, they dump prices and increase capacity and start new routes to ward off competition.

Zonda999 wrote: »
    ....EK must be kicking themselves that they didn't start the route years earlier. They were clearly hugely underestimating demand given the route has gone from 1x A332 to 2x B77W Daily in under three years

I am not 100% but I think the delay from EK was due to aircraft shortage. They has made a statement (4-5 years ago) that certainly gave that impression. They needed more B777's to arrive to allow them to start the route with the A330.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭Zonda999

The exact same thing happens with Ryanair, they dump prices and increase capacity and start new routes to ward off competition.
    I know, we know all about it in Cork! Surely that whole thing of adding capacity and/or dumping prices is a lot bigger deal though when it comes to long haul flights with widebody aircraft like these!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭FuzzyDunlop100

Talk on Twitter last night of a new route from Dublin to Doha (with Qatar obviously) to be announced soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

How reliable is this talk? Dublin taxi driver or aviation insiders?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

man98 wrote: »
    How reliable is this talk? Dublin taxi driver or aviation insiders?

I think the spectrum of reliability should read as follows;

Taxi Driver < boards.ie A&A subscriber < Aviation Insider < Akbar Al Baker

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

As a general rule anyone working in airside retail seems to get advance notice of new routes so I would believe them over the humble taxi driver.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

I spoke to my source down the sand pit way. He said they don't have the airframes or the crew right now and the routes to the east is pretty saturated between EK and EY. 6 more 787's joining the fleet in 2015 so nothing is ruled out.

Advertisement