Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will we ever see Qatar Airways serve Dublin?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

QR have recently started 787 to Edinburgh - I would have though the demand from Dublin would be a lot larger that Edinburgh (considering Glasgow is already served by EK too).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

basill wrote: »
    As a general rule anyone working in airside retail seems to get advance notice of new routes so I would believe them over the humble taxi driver.

Like somebody working in McDonalds as an example?? :) I have heard it all now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

*Kol* wrote: »
    Like somebody working in McDonalds as an example?? :) I have heard it all now.

The street was where you needed to be to get the latest news.

Pedant:Mc donalds is landslide at DUB.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

MuffinsDa wrote: »
    QR have recently started 787 to Edinburgh - I would have though the demand from Dublin would be a lot larger that Edinburgh (considering Glasgow is already served by EK too).
    While demand is probably a lot more the market is already dominated by EY and EK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Like somebody working in McDonalds as an example?? smile.png I have heard it all now.

You have and its true. Airlines will approach select airside retailers ahead of a route launch in order to secure deals for their customers which will often form part of the initial marketing campaign. Emirates was one of the most notable recent examples where a route launch was leaked. It was months later that they officially announced Dublin-Dubai.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

basill wrote: »
    You have and its true. Airlines will approach select airside retailers ahead of a route launch in order to secure deals for their customers which will often form part of the initial marketing campaign. Emirates was one of the most notable recent examples where a route launch was leaked. It was months later that they officially announced Dublin-Dubai.

But could they not also approach for example a taxi company to provide Limousine services, or a hotel chain to secure deals.

What you are saying sounds a bit far fetched, even if they were approaching airside retailers it would probably be a confidential meeting with people in head office, not strolling in to the store to cut a deal with the shop assistant.

elastico wrote: »
    What you are saying sounds a bit far fetched, even if they were approaching airside retailers it would probably be a confidential meeting with people in head office, not strolling in to the store to cut a deal with the shop assistant.
    Absolutely, but that had office person talks to the onsite manager, the staff spot the signs of an imminent new contract, they niggle the info out of the manager (who may work alongside them everyday) they tell their mate in the shop next door or their aviation obsesses mate who posts online..... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭poteen

So any more informed updates on this?

poteen wrote: »
    So any more informed updates on this?

It's only 4-5 days since this came up you might have to give it a little longer.

This route has never come to pass despite a couple of years of chatter. Anybody know the whys or whens?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

This route has never come to pass despite a couple of years of chatter. Anybody know the whys or whens?

Never say never. ;)

Qatar a member of One World, which EI will soon be joining may tempt to take some of the traffic to the Middle East off of EY and EK. They may offer decent connections from DUB with EI/BA which may make it easier and handier for passenger travelling to the UK, etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

I've just done FRA-DOH-PER with QR. the A350 is some bird!! The newer system is air circulation is far better. Didn't feel as tired getting off in DOH as I did in PER.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Idbatterim wrote: »

Ohhh. Some movement on the route. Belfast would be a strange one if looking as an alternative to Dublin. What about Shannon as an alternative?

Any timelines known for introducing?

Any timelines known for introducing?

I wouldn't hold my breath, this is a comment from a sales manager. They inflate their market by saying that the airline is doing so well with sales in that region that they may start to operate a route.
    It's a big step to actually talking to airports about a route, let alone starting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,707 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Was on an Aer Lingus flight to Washington recently and the stewardess was telling me that They are going to start running direct from Dublin to Dubai next year. Using Aer Lingus branded A330's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

Will that Qatar airways Dublin - Doha be a 787 anyone know ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Don't believe anything until you see a joint announcement from DAA and Qatar along with a local marketing campaign and actual tickets for sale.

Will that Qatar airways Dublin - Doha be a 787 anyone know ?

QR CEO has already stated that they will use B787s on Doha-Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

moloner4 wrote: »
    CEO stating issues with getting the aircraft in. IMO won't happen until the end of 2017 unless anything changes.

"Akbar Al Baker CEO of Qatar Airways discusses Dublin-Doha and the difficulties with the Airbus A350 at the CAPA summit in Amsterdam, October 30 2016
    SHOW MORE"

Never trust a man with a comb over, they're aways trying to hide something :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Looks like this route been launched has not had any effect on prices to SE Asia from the big 3 airlines from the ME. Is their any competition between those 3 or are they cahoots with each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

they have started recruiting cabin crew also for Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,707 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

No surprise but T1 confirmed for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,132 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

they have started recruiting cabin crew also for Dublin.

For a Dublin cabin crew base or cabin crew from Dublin? I didn't think that QR had any outside bases.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,132 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

http://careers.qatarairways.com/qatarairways/VacancySearch.aspx?lang=en-US
    There are quite a number of ground jobs being advertised for Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭john boye

It seems the inaugural DUB flight will be operated by an A350.

Advertisement