Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will we ever see Qatar Airways serve Dublin?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Yup. Showing as "operated by A350-900" for 12th June on the QR.com website.

Another busy day on The Mound!!

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭mocata

Damnit, I booked flight on 16th June. 2nd leg to Singapore is on an A350. Funking for a upgrade offer around the 400 mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭poteen

Looking forward to watching the Qatar Airways Airbus A350-900 land in Dublin next Monday to a water canon salute. Its due in at 1pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,705 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The new ban on direct air connections and, probably more relevant to this thread, overflying by Qatar Airways through their airspace, by these six Arab states

- Saudi Arabia
    - United Arab Emirates
    - Bahrain
    - Yemen
    - Egypt
    - Libya

is going to pose serious difficulties for the airline going forward.

Having to avoid those countries' airspace will have the potential to significantly increase costs and lengthen journey times and may mean that, apart from direct connections to those countries listed, other destinations may have to be dropped.

Coverage on the BBC website at the links below:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-40155829

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-40156029

The Qatar Airways A350 hits the runway at 1pm tomorrow in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

going by the departure board, there was supposedly a departure for Doha around 5 this evening, and the flight number was not a "normal" flight number, so the thought in my mind earlier was that they've used a positioning flight for the aircraft that I think was in for paint work to position crews, and maybe journalists and the like.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

going by the departure board, there was supposedly a departure for Doha around 5 this evening, and the flight number was not a "normal" flight number, so the thought in my mind earlier was that they've used a positioning flight for the aircraft that I think was in for paint work to position crews, and maybe journalists and the like.

It was an A330 that arrived for paint about 2 weeks ago. Funny thing is, despite tomorrow being the first QR flight to DUB, the Oryx is quite a common sight here as Eirtech have the contract to look after paint for most of the QR fleet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

It just did a go around. I presume that was scheduled?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Was a low pass at 2,000ft.

Was a low pass at 2,000ft.

Yes a scheduled 2000ft pass. Now landed. Beautiful aircraft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭boccy23

poteen wrote: »
    Yes a scheduled 2000ft pass. Now landed. Beautiful aircraft.

Super shot. It is a thing of beauty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Kenny2012

QR17 touches down on the inaugural flight from Doha to Dublin.
    Flight will normally be operated by a Boeing 787.
    34873071870_df352c3959.jpgA7-ALE by Ken Meegan, on Flickr

35261434495_bd10a34e89.jpgA7-ALE by Ken Meegan, on Flickr

35095183832_b2d4a66956.jpgA7-ALE by Ken Meegan, on Flickr

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Economy looks decent on it, IFE screens look massive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Just checked a couple of dates, even later in the year, prices seem excessive. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,705 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Just checked a couple of dates, even later in the year, prices seem excessive. :(

To where though?

Just to Doha or onwards to other destinations (as most people would be doing )?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

From Twitter

Qatar will be doing a flyby over the runway at 2000ft before turning back in to land. Enjoy. (Credit From Dublin Movements FB page)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Just booked my 3 weeks holidays with my boss for Feb 2018,i know its a long way off but can't wait to fly with Qatar again. Best airline i've flown with,which was on two A340-600 from London-Qatar-Bangkok. Back then Doha airport was probably the worst major airport i'd ever been in but glad that's been well upgraded. I was also convinced that one of the airhostesses was the one from the Sky news weather ad which they sponsored back then.

The prices are also the cheapest out of any airline for where i am going

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

The prices are also the cheapest out of any airline for where i am going

Where are you off to?

Gamebred wrote: »
    Economy looks decent on it, IFE screens look massive.

The cabin looks nice but it is a bit tight. The 10 wide seating in the 787 is a stretch and its not as comfortable as it could be.

Rackstar wrote: »
    Where are you off to?

Thailand. Prices start on skyskanner ranging from 480pp for 3 weeks with the like of last minute.com

Its about 1860 Euro for Me,the Wife and 2 kids,both over 2 years of age. Its a little bit more booking through Qatar.com but not by much so still very reasonable,both flights on Fridays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭alancostello

poteen wrote: »
    The cabin looks nice but it is a bit tight. The 10 wide seating in the 787 is a stretch and its not as comfortable as it could be.

Qatar is 9-abreast in Economy on the 787, same as nearly every other major airline operator. Only ones flying 8 are JAL and Ana.

Qatar is 9-abreast in Economy on the 787, same as nearly every other major airline operator. Only ones flying 8 are JAL and Ana.

That's how the 777 started as well. Apparently Boeing say they learned from that mistake in making them 10 abreast and hopefully the 787 stays 9 seats abreast.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Just booked my 3 weeks holidays with my boss for Feb 2018,i know its a long way off but can't wait to fly with Qatar again.

I can understand you being excited to try Qatar again but 3 weeks holidays with the boss??? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭steve-o

That's how the 777 started as well. Apparently Boeing say they learned from that mistake in making them 10 abreast and hopefully the 787 stays 9 seats abreast.
    The 787 is a smaller plane. 9-across on a 787 is as miserable as 10 on a 777.

Graham wrote: »
    I can understand you being excited to try Qatar again but 3 weeks holidays with the boss??? :eek:

With the year I've had, I'd holiday with Donald trump at this stage just to get away.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Hmmmmm

And there's absolutely no evidence at all to suggest there's any correlation between advertisers and award winners ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Thailand. Prices start on skyskanner ranging from 480pp for 3 weeks with the like of last minute.com

Its about 1860 Euro for Me,the Wife and 2 kids,both over 2 years of age. Its a little bit more booking through Qatar.com but not by much so still very reasonable,both flights on Fridays.

can't fault that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

I was told the QR FO is an Irish lad, ex Aer Arann.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

I was told the QR FO is an Irish lad, ex Aer Arann.

Most definitely, you could hear his accent on the day, he was the one doing the comms. Whether or not he was Aer Arann i'm not sure, there's a few ex FR lads there and a good few heading over soon.

Advertisement