Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LED replacements for ordinary filament bulbs?

Options
  • 02-09-2014 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, have an Auto roller /5, the interior lights are 21watt bulbs, like an ordinary brake light bulb. Can you get a straight replacement led light with the bayonet fitting? I reckon it would extend my leisure battery life. Thanks in advance, NEC.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭corkbuoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

corkbuoy wrote: »

Those will be very cold temperature you'd want to be looking for warm white. As said check the socket I know of at least 8 different bayonets off the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Hi all, have an Auto roller /5, the interior lights are 21watt bulbs, like an ordinary brake light bulb. Can you get a straight replacement led light with the bayonet fitting? I reckon it would extend my leisure battery life. Thanks in advance, NEC.

If you change to the LED bulbs will you not lose the dim/bright function of the brake light bulb?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

thanks everyone, Will check them when I get home. probably need a new leisure batter as well. Its labelled a "semi traction battery" so i suppose the same again should suffice?

ps, there are two separate bulbs for the dim/bright function. both single filaments, so really more like an indicator bulb

+1 Warm white. 12v tungsten is 2700°K (most led's advertised at 2700°K are really 3000°K).
    You can get dimmable LEDs but you have to get a driver to PWM them so not with the existing circuitry.

Yeah genuine semi-traction are the best economically for camper use. It's not at all important stick to the same brand or rating as the original. I'd stick with a reputable manufacturer though as there's a lot of fakes out there. Trojan, Crown, Banner, Yuasa.

Open lead acid are best by years life, charging speed and sulphation resistance (if you have a charger that'll knock out 14.7v) and if ya don't mind the maintenance and the hydrogen (seal a box and vent outside possibly with fans kicking in at 14.2v).

If it says marine, leisure, CCA (cold cranking amps) or MCA (marine cranking amps) on it I just walk away.
    There's no such thing as maintenance-free either that just means pressure valves and enough electrolyte to see through a warranty period at recommended charging voltages.
    Nekarsulm wrote: »
    ps, there are two separate bulbs for the dim/bright function. both single filaments, so really more like an indicator bulb

Sounds like two 12V outlets one for a low wattage bulb one for high.
    If so you could get one LED per setting but look at luminosity not wattage because it's a better representation.

If you can't find what you want in the bulb department it's pretty easy change the socket(s) too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement