Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LiveCD SIP Server

• 02-09-2014 5:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭

There used to be (some years ago) plenty LiveCDs (some with persistence) which could be used to try out the various set ups for in-house SIP server and so on.
    Does anyone know if such a beast exists presently?
    I have failed to find one :(

A friend asked about something along those lines yesterday and of course I remembered the LiveCDs, but did not realise they seem to have disappeared ..... so I put my big foot in it, didn't I? :(

FYI ....... what he is considering is setting up a system which would act to allow connections (voice - not sure about video) to and from a small number of people on the move and at locations in various countries (I think ~20 to 30).
    He would 'prefer' not to use any 'man-in-the-middle' provider but have the communications direct.

I didn't really get any deeper into it, but first step I thought was to find a suitable LiveCD to see how he gets on with it.
    I have obviously failed on that first step :confused:

Anyway ...... LiveCDs out there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭msmx5

Anyway ...... LiveCDs out there?

Can't really vouch for any of these, sorry, but you could try:-

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+Bootable+CDROM

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Can't recommend any. Why not use a VM on your PC such as VMWare vSphere Hypervisor (which is free), instead of wiping your machine each time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Mr. G wrote: »
    Can't recommend any. Why not use a VM on your PC such as VMWare vSphere Hypervisor (which is free), instead of wiping your machine each time?

It will not be going on my machine, so was hoping he could have a look at something running live to evaluate it on his PC.

@msmx5
    yes I had trawled through those but found nothing current ..... mostly 5 years and more old IIRC. :(

Maybe I missed something ...... will maybe look again ....

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭msmx5

It will not be going on my machine, so was hoping he could have a look at something running live to evaluate it on his PC.

@msmx5
    yes I had trawled through those but found nothing current ..... mostly 5 years and more old IIRC. :(

There don't seem to be recent live images around alright, maybe the prevalence of virtualisation has put them to the sword..
    A prepackaged VM might be your best evaluation option.... as Johnboy1951 mentioned.

PBS in a Flash seems to be quite active development wise and has VM applications.

I suppose it would be good to get recommendations from someone who has recently set up a system either from scratch or from a VM image. (sorry I can't help on that front)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

msmx5 wrote: »
    There don't seem to be recent live images around alright, maybe the prevalence of virtualisation has put them to the sword..
    A prepackaged VM might be your best evaluation option.... as Johnboy1951 mentioned.

PBS in a Flash seems to be quite active development wise and has VM applications.

I suppose it would be good to get recommendations from someone who has recently set up a system either from scratch or from a VM image. (sorry I can't help on that front)

Thanks for the link to http://pbxinaflash.com/ ;)

I think the answer to what is needed is to reprovision a R-Pi to use
    http://nerdvittles.com/?p=10151

That would seem to overcome any difficulties he might have testing on a machine he might otherwise wish to use for other purposes.

It does seem way over the top for what he asked about .... but up to him what to use or not I guess :)

Thanks to all for the help ..... unless I am missing/misunderstanding (always likely) something the R-Pi solution would seem to be the best option for the moment, and maybe even into the future.

• Advertisement
Advertisement