Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question about leak.

• 02-09-2014 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi,,i have a leak right at the main wall of my house,i knocked a couple of blocks away and dug up a bit of ground to see whether it was in or outside the mains..Its outside the mains but it is in my garden,i live in an old housing estate with no stop cocks,so a plumber told me anything outside the mains is the councils responsibility..When the council came they installled a stop cock outside the garden(took about 5 of them 2 days to complete) and told me the leak is my responsibility..Am just wondering should they have fixed it or is it up to me???am gonna ring Irish water back but just wanted to ask on here first..Thanks for reading and for any answers in advance...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I've heard this question asked of Irish Water plenty of times on the media (most recently on Newstalk- Pat Kenny had a representative on the show). They said they will repair a leak inside the customers boundary (but not within the building envelope) but if you have expensive paving or landscaping you could not expect it to be reinstated as was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Tow

Pat Kenny and boundary's do not go hand in hand. Traditionally after the stopcock is your problem, but Irish Water appear to be going some repairs if they find a leak. I would give them a ring and see what they say.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Good one! I think the rational offered by Irish Water was that if it was cost effective they would repair these types of leaks as they estimate that most water loss in the system is on the customer side and this was significantly cheaper to repair (in most instances) than other leaks. Definitely worth pursuing with them anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

All water pipes on your property are your responsibility. They always have been. Water meters & Irish water haven't changed that.
    The only difference is homeowners are now looking to have leaks repaired because of the meters. I've met people with leaks for years & haven't bothered repairing them.
    It's about the only good thing to come from the meters. People looking for ways to stop wasting water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Tow wrote: »
    Pat Kenny and boundary's do not go hand in hand. Traditionally after the stopcock is your problem, but Irish Water appear to be going some repairs if they find a leak. I would give them a ring and see what they say.

Pat Kenny doesn't understand boundarys, ended up in the high court with his neighbour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I've heard this question asked of Irish Water plenty of times on the media (most recently on Newstalk- Pat Kenny had a representative on the show). They said they will repair a leak inside the customers boundary (but not within the building envelope) but if you have expensive paving or landscaping you could not expect it to be reinstated as was.

Irish water has said they would fix ONE leak in your driveway if detected in the first year for free. After the first year you are on your own. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12 micbravo

just thought id report back..so its 3 weeks today since the leak started..i forgot to add that there were works going on in town that day cos of a leak elsewhere and the water was off,when the water was turned back on there was a lot of mud coming through the taps,i reckon this helped cause the burst pipe,a house a few doors down also had a leak..so irish water sent the council out and they wouldnt fix the leak but installed a stopcock and told me its private property so its my problem..so am wondering if i dig up and find some ancient priceless treasure,is it alright to sell for millions cos its private property?or can i build a 50foot wall without permission cos its private property? or can i dig up the garden and smash every pipe in the ground without gettin ion trouble cos its my property?the answer to these questions i know is no..its just the lazy cheap wasters do whatever suits them every time..theyll happpily bill me but for an absolute crap service...i will never pay an irish water bill after this,il also be leaving the leak until they decide to fix it..sorry about the rant but its very annoying the way people are treated by the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 micbravo

Question F:

How can I measure my water usage, check for hidden leaks, and reduce my usage?

Answer F:

The water meters will be accessible for householders to check. You can monitor your usage by checking the meter regularly.

You can identify leaks by checking the meter before and after a period when the water system isn’t being used – for example, if you are away for the weekend. Notify Irish Water if you find a leak. There will be a 'free first fix' scheme for leaks on the customer side of the meter – Irish Water will be announcing details shortly.

This is 1 of the question and answers from Irish waters website.So their basically full of crap..I know my meter is not in yet but Irish water have taken over so should have just fixed it without causing hassle.Thanks Sleeper12,i wouldnt have copped that without you.

Advertisement