Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Checking planning permission on old property

Options
  • 02-09-2014 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of purchasing an old house (built around 1905) and have been advised by my solicitor to check with the local planning office to see if there have been any extensions, alterations or developments to the property. The house has a small kitchen extension to the rear of the house, and if I'm right, this wouldn't need planning permission. I still want to check, just to be safe.

I've checked Dublin City Council's website and no applications have been filed. However, I think it only holds online applications from 2005 onwards. Does anyone know if this is the case?

Any help much appreciated! :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,336 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I've seen records from much earlier but I don't think many of them had documents uploaded. Your solicitor should be able to advise you on the position with respect to the absence of planning enforcement beyond 7 years. Your surveyor/engineer should be able to measure the kitchen extension so that in conjunction they can advise you whether it is safe to proceed. If the house is a protected structure, most of this will be out the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Lillydub

Hi Marcusm,

Thanks for the quick reply! From memory, the extension can't be bigger than 8 sq metres and I think 40 sq metres is the cut-off so we're well within that.

I'll contact my solicitor for clarification.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It will depend on when the extension was built. If it was built between about 1963 and 2001, planning permission would have been needed. Have there been any other alterations, e.g. another property built in the garden, garage, facade changes, satellite dish, etc.?

Go in tot he planning desk in the Civic Office in Wood quay and they have maps marked up with all planning applications over the years.

Given the property's age, you would be well advised to (a) check its insurability (flat roofs, fire separation, electrical & plumbing, etc.) and (b) what work is needed to bring it up to current standards - roof, insulation, damp, electrical, plumbing, fire, security, drainage, etc. Having a surveyor inspect it will be important.

Victor wrote: »
    It will depend on when the extension was built. If it was built between about 1963 and 2001, planning permission would have been needed. Have there been any other alterations, e.g. another property built in the garden, garage, facade changes, satellite dish, etc.?

Go in tot he planning desk in the Civic Office in Wood quay and they have maps marked up with all planning applications over the years.

Given the property's age, you would be well advised to (a) check its insurability (flat roofs, fire separation, electrical & plumbing, etc.) and (b) what work is needed to bring it up to current standards - roof, insulation, damp, electrical, plumbing, fire, security, drainage, etc. Having a surveyor inspect it will be important.

Thanks for that. I didn't know about the 1963-2001 rule. I'll try to pop into planning offices tomorrow to see. Having our structural survey tomorrow so fingers crossed!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

Been through this before. In DCC, things can't be knocked if it's built before 2001 and has been there for more than 7 years. You may apply for but not be guaranteed retrospective planning permission for any structures satisfying this rule, but you do have de facto planning permission. This may or may not satisfy a lending institution in the case of you deciding to sell and a future purchaser applying for a mortgage. But you can get a surveyor or similar professional to inspect and issue a certificate of compliance (if the structure complies) as backup.

• Advertisement

sarkozy wrote: »
    Been through this before. In DCC, things can't be knocked if it's built before 2001 and has been there for more than 7 years. You may apply for but not be guaranteed retrospective planning permission for any structures satisfying this rule, but you do have de facto planning permission. This may or may not satisfy a lending institution in the case of you deciding to sell and a future purchaser applying for a mortgage. But you can get a surveyor or similar professional to inspect and issue a certificate of compliance (if the structure complies) as backup.

Thanks for all the helpful replies!

So the situation is, te extension has been there approx 20 years. We would be hoping to knock it down though. Does this mean we wouldn't be able to as it was built pre 2001?

Apologies for all the questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

sarkozy wrote: »
    Been through this before. In DCC, things can't be knocked if it's built before 2001 and has been there for more than 7 years.
    Councils have a different view of this. They can't prosecute you, but they can make you regularise the situation.
    Lillydub wrote: »
    So the situation is, te extension has been there approx 20 years. We would be hoping to knock it down though. Does this mean we wouldn't be able to as it was built pre 2001?
    That would be an ecumenical matter. :)

There are rules for demolition, just like construction. You could replace one extension with another, but you would need to follow the rules. You can, of course, apply for planning permission - it isn't that arduous.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

what now your solicitor is asking you to check ......

what exactly are you paying him/her for ??????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭db

^^^^ this. If he's not checking on the planning what else is he not doing. I would seriously consider another solicitor.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

db wrote: »
    ^^^^ this. If he's not checking on the planning what else is he not doing. I would seriously consider another solicitor.
    its generally an architect or engineer that check on planning & building compliance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

BryanF wrote: »
    its generally an architect or engineer that check on planning & building compliance

Buiilding compliance yes planning no. The solicitor should be checking out all aspects of planning.

Advertisement