Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heating only working upstairs when stat downstairs is off

• 02-09-2014 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Mr gas heating only heats the rads upstairs when the thermostat is turned off downstairs.

If I put the downstairs stat back on the heatung upstairs stops.

Can anybody give me an idea how to fix this?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

That is the way it is designed i say. Have come across that setup before. If you have access to the wiring and controls it should be possible to alter the setup to the way you want it to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 sparks82

Surely that cannot be correct. Heating can only work either upstairs OR downstairs ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Has your heating always been this way, or is it just a recent thing.

K.Flyer wrote: »

I have just bought the house so I do not know. Seems very strange to me.

Any ideas????

I have just bought the house so I do not know. Seems very strange to me.

Any ideas????

• Advertisement

My first thought was a three way motorised zone valve plumbed in the wrong way, but most likely its dodgy wiring.
    Can you locate your zone valve(s), their usually in the hotpress, and maybe get a picture of them up so we can get some idea on the set up.
    Do you have a 2 or 3 channel clock and 2 stats?

My first thought was a three way motorised zone valve plumbed in the wrong way, but most likely its dodgy wiring.
    Can you locate your zone valve(s), their usually in the hotpress, and maybe get a picture of them up so we can get some idea on the set up.
    Do you have a 2 or 3 channel clock and 2 stats?

There are 3 valves in the hotpress. One appears to be for the downstairs rads, one for the 2 front rooms upstairs and I presume the other is for the 2 backrooms and toilet.

There is a stat in the sitting room downstairs and a stat upstairs in our bedroom.

My timeclock is a siemens rwb29

Sounds like the wiring so.
    Do you know many wires are going into the back of the downstairs room thermostat?

Sounds like the wiring so.
    Do you know many wires are going into the back of the downstairs room thermostat?
    There are 2 brown wires. Common and switchwire

What make are the zone valves and do they have levers that can be locked into the manual position.
    If the levers can be moved to manual, lock them all in and run the heating and see if all your rads heat up then.

• Advertisement

There are 3 valves in the hot press. The make of the valves are Myson Power extra

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Gerry T

best guess is one valve for downstairs, one for upstairs and one for the cylinder. If the valves are two port, which I think they are (valve only has pipes in-out connected) then its most likely a wiring issue. If you have a drawing of the wiring can you post and I will comment ?

Ok.. lets eliminate poor circulation first.

Slide the lever on each valve and lock it into the "man" position.
    You can see the lever I refer to on the left of this image.
    With all levers in the man position, run the heating and check if all the radiators heat up.

Power%20Extra%20hrh-500x500.jpg

Thanks for all the help guys,

On Saturday afternoon the heating stopped working all together !!!!!!

When I looked at the boiler it was at 0.4 bar and flashing. I followed the instructions and filled the system via the flexi-hose on the cylinder and let the pressure build up to 1 bar and now the heating is working perfect.

Thanks for all the help.

Advertisement