Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fish & Chips in Salthill

Options

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Long way to travel for a bag of chips

Yeah, it's probably a good thing though, stops me indulging too often. Plus my family live there, so there's always that too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

Nobody has mentioned Jack Jordan's yet it blows the rest out of the water. best chipper in Galway in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

paconnors wrote: »
    Nobody has mentioned Jack Jordan's yet it blows the rest out of the water. best chipper in Galway in my opinion.

Is it in Salthill?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I think McDonaghs is very overrated. We only ate there once and we were underwhelmed by the food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Links234 wrote: »
    Is it in Salthill?
    The far side of the city. It's out in Doughiska.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Long way to travel for a bag of chips

Ah not at all! Elvis used to get up in the middle of the night and fly with half of his entourage halfway across the USA to his favourite burger joint.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,412 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

For take-away, I'd vote for Salthill Fish & Chips. Generally very nice chips, although the odd time they aren't great. Stay away from Salt 'n' Pepper ... frozen chips!
    paconnors wrote: »

That's because it's a long walk from Salthill :)

I was in Salthill Fish and Chips the other night for the first time in ages and the chips were excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

Is it in Salthill?

One branch is on the Doughiska rd near Centra so not exactly handy for Salthill.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 JackyJoe

Looks like a new place to try out soon on St Helens street where the gourmet tart used to be, next door to Alis fish shop, not sure if it is his new venture, but you'd have to assume the fish is going to be top notch. Painting on the wall has a fish hooked on a fishing line with "Hooked" across the top, assume it the name, must to close to opening, as it looked to be all kitted out.

Another place caught my eye next to Kellys pub called MAREBLU, still some nail banging going on but someone said they think it too is a new fish and chip shop.

Look forward to the one next to Ali's opening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

JackyJoe wrote: »
    Looks like a new place to try out soon on St Helens street where the gourmet tart used to be, next door to Alis fish shop, not sure if it is his new venture, but you'd have to assume the fish is going to be top notch. Painting on the wall has a fish hooked on a fishing line with "Hooked" across the top, assume it the name, must to close to opening, as it looked to be all kitted out.

Another place caught my eye next to Kellys pub called MAREBLU, still some nail banging going on but someone said they think it too is a new fish and chip shop.

Look forward to the one next to Ali's opening.

It is already open, someone in another thread was giving their tuppence on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭degzs

So is Alis fish shop open? Thinking about heading down for some good old fish and chip if its open. Didn't look open a few days ago.

Been to Hooked twice now, and it really is fantastic. Definitely planning to go back again soon

The thing is, the price is amazing for what you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Been to Hooked twice now, and it really is fantastic. Definitely planning to go back again soon

The thing is, the price is amazing for what you get.

+1

Really impressed with food and customer service - friendly and cozy place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

Do they do take away?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Where exactly is hooked?

Do they do take away?
    Yes. They've started doing takeout recently. Last time I was there it was €7.50 for fish and chips with tartare sauce and a slice of lemon.
    zarquon wrote: »
    Where exactly is hooked?
    Hooked is on St. Helen's St / Henry St (it's right where they meet) next to the Mermaid Fishmongers. It used to be a Gourmet Tart Co. outlet.

I was very happy with it and will definitely be going back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

zarquon wrote: »
    Where exactly is hooked?

I gave someone the same directions as above yesterday and he have me a blank look until I said "just before Cooke's Corner" and then I got an "aah ok"
    So whatever gets you there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Tried Hooked last week; had the fish (haddock) & chips. Food was great, good price and excellent service. Love the decor inside too.

Will be back to try more of the menu. ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

I had the chowder in hooked! Beautiful

I had the monkfish goujons last time, they were absolutely ****ing fantastic, plan on giving the calimari a go next time. Some of the specials they have up on their facebook page look incredible. They were packed out the door with people waiting for seats when I was there last.

I think they've really hit a sweet spot with their pricing too, with a lot of menu items under or around the €10 mark, it doesn't feel like you're spending too much at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Wonder if this will turn out like the Rahoon~Westside~Knocknacarra thread?

Salthill has suddenly annexed Henry Street.

Well with the mention of Jack Jordans earlier in the thread, either Salthill has grown to encompass doughiska, or the thread stopped being about just Salthill some time ago.

It's all part of a healthy Fish & Chips obsession. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Sofa King

If I had the money, I'd open up a proper Takeaway, having grown up in Cork City (and having my family own a takeaway), I'd bring some good takeaway products to Galway.

But I don't have the money to do so... Ah well!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Sofa King wrote: »
    If I had the money, I'd open up a proper Takeaway, having grown up in Cork City (and having my family own a takeaway), I'd bring some good takeaway products to Galway.

Sofa king wha?

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Sofa King

Sofa king wha?

Sofa'King Nice Food...

Sofa King wrote: »

Such as?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Such as?

Trotters perhaps.

Advertisement