Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharpening a double-bladed hachoir/mezzaluna

Options
  • 02-09-2014 9:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭

As the title, I have a double-bladed hachoir that I use the bejesus out of but I've noticed lately it's not as sharp as it was.

With the double-bladed design, is it possible to sharpen these at home without losing a finger? Or is there somewhere (in Dublin, preferably) that I could get it sharpened professionally?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,759 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

They're a pain in the arse to sharpen alright, I always did mine (very carefully!) with a round sharpening steel. When I'm replacing it, I'll be going for a single-blade one.

You could always try asking your butcher to have a go at it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I use a DMT folding diamond file for things like that, they work well if you can hold a good angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Haven't got a hachoir myself, but I do a good bit of sharpening of woodturning chisels and tools and I have a set of steel credit card sized diamond sharpeners that would be great for that kind of thing I'd imagine.

http://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/Diamond-Card-Sized-Sharpener-P19C24.aspx

I got mine online I think, but if you're in Dublin somewhere like McQuillans Tools on Capel Street might have them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Thanks all. Good to know it can be done! I'm only after doing my big meat shop, won't be back at the butcher for a couple of weeks. Never even thought of asking him to have a look. Those little cards look ideal, nice and narrow for doing the inner sides of the blades.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

There's a thread about sharpening a knife with a steel here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=88880565

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,759 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

There's a thread about sharpening a knife with a steel here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=88880565

Yeah, but a double-bladed hachoir is a lot trickier because the blades are fixed and essentially get in eachother's way when you're trying to sharpen the inner edges.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Yeah, but a double-bladed hachoir is a lot trickier because the blades are fixed and essentially get in eachother's way when you're trying to sharpen the inner edges.

I get you - I forgot it's got two blades.

Advertisement