Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prepay Power

Options
  • 02-09-2014 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Anyone know the cheapest option for prepay power?
    I just bought a house with Prepaypower, rang Electric Ireland and they seem a good bit cheaper, anyone any info on it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

JR1210 wrote: »
    I just bought a house with Prepaypower, rang Electric Ireland and they seem a good bit cheaper, anyone any info on it?

I think cheap prepay power is an oxymoron. Try bonkers.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Cheapest would be get rid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

You pay the highest unit rate for electricity used because you don't get any discounts that providers usually offer for paying by direct debit etc PLUS they charge an extra €13+ per month on top of the normal standing charges!

They are "convenient" for some people but are possibly the most expensive option!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

You can get a meter with electric ireland that will stay at the same rate as paying in arrears.

I was on to them recently about it and they promised me that the price would emulate that of a bill if I were paying in arrears. It makes sense because they will be paid in advance instead of running the risk of people going heavily into arrears with them.

There is also no extra standing charge and is not limited to those already in arrears anymore. Anyone can get it so long as the building can support it.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭JR1210

I would avoid them at all costs as they are expensive, but the house will be rented out so probably the best option
    Looks like Electric Ireland is the cheapest option

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

Prepaypower is more expensive then ESB bill

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭the world wonders

I would avoid them at all costs as they are expensive, but the house will be rented out so probably the best option
    Only a certain kind of tenant will prefer prepaid electricity. Do you really want to attract tenants who don't know how to manage their money?

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

Airtricity worked out a lot cheaper for us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

I was with pre pay power, my advice avoid avoid avoid, went to electric Ireland and am definitely getting more bang for my buck

is Pinergy.ie cheaper then esb and i live in flat

• Advertisement

wampyrus77 wrote: »
    is Pinergy.ie cheaper then esb and i live in flat

NO, they are the same type of set-up as prepay-power. They re-sell the electricity to you and add on a charge for their equipment and administration which can be as little as €126 a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

Airtricity worked out a lot cheaper for us!

prepay? thats impossible as their rates are higher than other suppliers and they charge a surcharge for the meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

ukoda wrote: »
    prepay? thats impossible as their rates are higher than other suppliers and they charge a surcharge for the meter.

no, sorry It is regular bill.

what the point join prepaypower.ie when they lie to you, they promise to give me free €20 credit and i never got it, plus they charge €3 per phone call

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

ukoda wrote: »

You're 100% correct there. Its the standard rate + pre-pay charge.
    If the poster went even with a regular account- it would be over 190 a year less (for an identical number of units- with the same company).

no, sorry It is regular bill.

The OP is specifically talking about Pre-pay and seeking the cheapest pre-pay option.

You're 100% correct there. Its the standard rate + pre-pay charge.
    If the poster went even with a regular account- it would be over 190 a year less (for an identical number of units- with the same company).

but you are a pension its worse one you get no discounts with pre-pay power, but you discount with only with esb and how can you trust a company that lies to you pre-pay power is lying company

but you are a pension its worse one you get no discounts with pre-pay power, but you discount with only with esb and how can you trust a company that lies to you pre-pay power is lying company

They don't lie.
    They are 100% honest on their website.
    If people choose to only focus on certain aspects of the scheme and don't bother to look up all the details- well, caveat emptor........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

These prepay electricity are only for people who are incapable of managing their finances and there is no point slagging them off here. They are always going to be more expensive than bill pay

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Ive recently become a property owner for the first time and trying to decide which provider to go with. I will be a pretty low user of electricity (cant say in advance what my typical usage will be but it will be relatively small). Which provider would be my best choice? Also does electric Ireland offer discount for paying by direct debit as opossed to at the post office etc? thanks in advance

• Advertisement

Ive recently become a property owner for the first time and trying to decide which provider to go with. I will be a pretty low user of electricity (cant say in advance what my typical usage will be but it will be relatively small). Which provider would be my best choice? Also does electric Ireland offer discount for paying by direct debit as opossed to at the post office etc? thanks in advance
    Most offer substantial discounts for paying by direct debit and also some plans will have a low usage surcharge which may take some of the discount offered. Best might be a dual fuel account for gas and electricity or just going with a standard account with one of the larger suppliers and taking advantage of the direct debit offers available, being a low user your savings will be minimal anyway.

The prepay options will add at least €126 a year onto the standard rates(inclusive of standing charges)

They don't lie.
    They are 100% honest on their website.
    If people choose to only focus on certain aspects of the scheme and don't bother to look up all the details- well, caveat emptor........

they promise me €20 credit i never got it, they broke a promise does sound like lie

they promise me €20 credit i never got it, they broke a promise does sound like lie

Did you follow the qualifying criteria to the letter of the law?
    Most of these payments are automated credits to accounts- automatically applied at database level- when set criteria are met. Normally there isn't even any human intervention involved- its a batch job that gets kicked off once a month- and you meet the criteria, or you don't. Were there terms and conditions- and did you you meet them?

If you feel you did meet them- ring them- and get an explanation. Either they or you are in the wrong. They're not going to try and do you out of your 20 quid- you're worth a hell of a lot more than that to them.......

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I'd recommend Airtricity or ESB. Pre-pay power is ok if renting or its an apartment with a house is best to go with the likes of Airtricity or ESB. Board gais be another option. Only certain things are worth paying for by pre-credit rather than paying a bill. I would think pre-pay power work out more expensive. Draw up a budget and compare the pros and cons of pre-pay power or bill pay. The best value for your money is the best way forward.

To be brutally honest- even if Airtricity were half the price of ESB, I couldn't in all conscience recommend anyone deal with them. Their customer service staff are a complete and utter nightmare- and even if your tenant is no longer resident in the property- will not want anything to do with you the owner- despite the fact that you may not have even agreed to have them install a pre-pay meter.

They may be cheaper- indeed, they may- but if you have to deal with them with anything other than routine queries, God have mercy on your soul.

Did you follow the qualifying criteria to the letter of the law?
    Most of these payments are automated credits to accounts- automatically applied at database level- when set criteria are met. Normally there isn't even any human intervention involved- its a batch job that gets kicked off once a month- and you meet the criteria, or you don't. Were there terms and conditions- and did you you meet them?

If you feel you did meet them- ring them- and get an explanation. Either they or you are in the wrong. They're not going to try and do you out of your 20 quid- you're worth a hell of a lot more than that to them.......

promise is a promise and pre pay broke the promise

promise is a promise and pre pay broke the promise

Conditions are conditions- and unless you meet them to the letter- prepay didn't break any promise. I don't know whether you followed the letter of the law precisely or not- and I advised you to contact Prepay if you are convinced you did- instead you're back here whinging about a promise being a promise. Be proactive. Ring them. At very least- you'll get an explanation as to why you didn't qualify- and if a mistake was made- you can give them an opportunity to rectify it. Moaning here- is not going to achieve anything whatsoever.

Conditions are conditions- and unless you meet them to the letter- prepay didn't break any promise. I don't know whether you followed the letter of the law precisely or not- and I advised you to contact Prepay if you are convinced you did- instead you're back here whinging about a promise being a promise. Be proactive. Ring them. At very least- you'll get an explanation as to why you didn't qualify- and if a mistake was made- you can give them an opportunity to rectify it. Moaning here- is not going to achieve anything whatsoever.
    promise is honour bround you cant break it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

To be brutally honest- even if Airtricity were half the price of ESB, I couldn't in all conscience recommend anyone deal with them. Their customer service staff are a complete and utter nightmare- and even if your tenant is no longer resident in the property- will not want anything to do with you the owner- despite the fact that you may not have even agreed to have them install a pre-pay meter.

They may be cheaper- indeed, they may- but if you have to deal with them with anything other than routine queries, God have mercy on your soul.

Second that! To call them you have to listen to 2 mins of how amazing they are before you get to the menu opinions. Then you discover you can only pay online or in a post office. They dont have a telephone automated payment service.They are ridiculously bad at estimating bills. They also didnt send out a bill to a rent house my parents had for 4 months. It was €2.5k and expected it to be paid within a normal bill payment time.

Energia are pretty good and good value

• Advertisement

hfallada wrote: »
    Second that! To call them you have to listen to 2 mins of how amazing they are before you get to the menu opinions. Then you discover you can only pay online or in a post office. They dont have a telephone automated payment service.They are ridiculously bad at estimating bills. They also didnt send out a bill to a rent house my parents had for 4 months. It was €2.5k and expected it to be paid within a normal bill payment time.

Energia are pretty good and good value
    It's €3 a min it's cost to listen to that to a €6 before they start talking

Advertisement