Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to support LGBT people

Options
  • 02-09-2014 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hello, I'm a straight female but I have absolutely no problem with LGBT people. Recently I have been getting into a lot of grief having to stop my gay friend from getting beaten up. In febuary one of my best friends committed suicide after her parents rejected her for being gay and I promised myself that I would find away to help. Trouble is beyond writing blog articles and getting into disagreements in youtube comments I really haven't achieved that much :-/
    Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

There are many groups you could volunteer with, for example Marriage Equality. I can't think of any gay safety groups off the top of my head.

It might sound a little lame, but I think one of the best things people can do is not to be shy about their support. Especially with the upcoming referendum, it's important that people talk about the different issues (obviously in a calm and respectful way) so that it becomes less taboo. The more normalised homosexuality becomes, the less people make a big deal of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Keep being as good a friend as you can to your friends. You sound awesome. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Saster123

Lyaiera wrote: »
    Keep being as good a friend as you can to your friends. You sound awesome. :)

Ha thanks! :-)

I've been writing anti homophobia poetry that's pretty good a mon avis, I was thinking I'd try submitting it to them to the paper. What do you guys think? Should I wait till the referendum is closer when it's more of a hot topic or just try my luck now?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Saster123 wrote: »
    Ha thanks! :-)

I've been writing anti homophobia poetry that's pretty good a mon avis, I was thinking I'd try submitting it to them to the paper. What do you guys think? Should I wait till the referendum is closer when it's more of a hot topic or just try my luck now?

I've never read anything like that. It'd be interesting to see how gay culture was represented down through the cultural years. There were obviously gay writers, etc. and the times were so different. Gay cultural works are really important. Especially the revolutionary commentary that those cultural works provide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Ambersky

OP and anyone who is interested and would like to of be of some kind help, first off, thank you and hold onto that thought.
    Everyone who does any little thing no matter how small it may seem is acting as a positive force for change don't underestimate the power of just being an ally. You wont be able to change the world overnight but you are not alone there are millions of people just chipping away making change happen.
    Previous suggestions about getting involved in voluntary work etc are all good its a great way to learn and to help..

There are lots of ways we can help change things and I guess all change starts with yourself first. We take little steps sometimes and learn new ways to look at things, change can occur in the everyday interactions we have as well as in the big campaigns.

A number of organisations have published LGBT Good Practice Guidelines.
    These guidelines are often targeted at peoples interaction with one another in the workplace but many of the suggestions could be broadened out to include social and personal interactions as well.

I was so pleased with the INTO one that appeared on a wall of the staff room I was working in some years ago and even more pleased because I wasnt the one who put it up there. I do notice the absence of the T in these particular guidelines and hope it has since been included.
    This is what it says
    INTO Good Practice Guidelines
    1 Be aware that a percentage of your colleagues or their family/friends are lesbian gay or bisexual.
    2. Challenge homophobic jokes and comments. It is important not to remain silent because doing so implies that you agree.
    3. Make sure that staff social events involving partners are equally open to same sex partners.
    4. Encourage the use of inclusive and gender neutral language e.g. partner.
    5. If you are unsure of appropriate language ask an LGB person/group for guidance.
    6. Respond positively when a colleague discloses their sexual orientation.
    7. Be informed about current information concerning LGB issues in articles in In-Touch/Printout and display relevant INTO posters in the staff room.
    8.Review the adult anti-bullying policy to ensure that it contains an explicit reference to homophobic bullying.
    9. Include in your positive staff relations policy a way of dealing with situations when "gay", "queer" etc are used as terms of abuse.
    10. Talk about issues that affect LGB teachers alongside all other equality issues that are discussed in the staffroom. Break the Silence

Other guidelines can be found here http://www.lgbtdiversity.com/resources.aspx?title=good_practice_guidelines

If you take it that we grow up in a homophobic society where LGBT people are not thought of or treated equally it can take a bit of time, information and experience to replace those old messages with new ones.
    This link is to a great page of resources published by GLEN on issues relating to LGBT lives, usually in a fairly short pamphlet style, that makes good points without having to read a whole lot.
    http://www.glen.ie/resources-section.aspx?contentid=13127

• Advertisement
Advertisement