Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M50 daily.

Options
  • 02-09-2014 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

I will be using the M50 daily soon going back to college and I was just wondering what the best option is for myself paying the toll. I have an account set up that is direct debit but I was wondering would I be better off getting a toll tag? The website is very bad doesn't explain anything!

any info will help thanks :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

If you're using it daily then a toll-tag is the way to go - works out €1 cheaper per pass. I think the rental on the tag is something like €1 a month

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭GingerNut93

Oh really? I'll have to sort that out so. The website tells you nothing I think I'll have to give them a ring! Thanks for answering :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭vickers209

e-trip website bit more info

https://www.easytrip.ie/help/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,134 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Oh really? I'll have to sort that out so. The website tells you nothing I think I'll have to give them a ring! Thanks for answering :)

http://www.etoll.ie is your only man for the beef on tags.

Thanks for the advice :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

You only have to pay the toll if you pass either of the tolled locations, you may not need to.
    If you don't, the video tolling is cheapest, as there's no monthly fee.
    If you do, and travel 3 or more times a month, then a tag is cheapest

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

No toll charges at all on the m50 for motorbikes, can work out at a saving of €1000 a year for someone doing a return trip 5 days a week throughout the year. East Link bridge is also toll free for motorbikes.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    No toll charges at all on the m50 for motorbikes, can work out at a saving of €1000 a year for someone doing a return trip 5 days a week throughout the year. East Link bridge is also toll free for motorbikes.

I drive a car and I have no intention of ever driving a motorbike! lol

No toll charges at all on the m50 for motorbikes, can work out at a saving of €1000 a year for someone doing a return trip 5 days a week throughout the year. /QUOTE]

This is untrue, Motorbikes using the M50 from the M1 to Dublin port have to pay the same as cars, i.e. ten euro each way at peak times, three euros off peak

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I drive a car and I have no intention of ever driving a motorbike! lol

You dont know what you're missing :D

I dont commute the m50 myself but €1000 saving a year is not a small amount. Add to that the fact that taxing a bike for a whole year costs €82 compared to the €400 or €500+ most cars cost and the savings over driving go up to around €1500 per year. Its the price of a good two week holiday, if I did have to commute the m50 to work everyday Id much prefer doing it on a bike and having myself a two week holiday than throwing €1000 on tolls. Motorbikes beat the traffic jams too and I'm seeing more of them out on the m50 lately as more people get back to work. Traffic on the m50 is only set to get worse, its already at capacity as it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

No toll charges at all on the m50 for motorbikes, can work out at a saving of €1000 a year for someone doing a return trip 5 days a week throughout the year.

This is untrue, Motorbikes using the M50 from the M1 to Dublin port have to pay the same as cars, i.e. ten euro each way at peak times, three euros off peak

But he never mentioned the port tunnel...

So what he said is in fact true.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Traffic on the m50 is only set to get worse, its already at capacity as it is.

The M50 is not at capacity, the problem with the M50 is that it needs variable speed limits, and MUCH better enforcement of land discipline for all drivers, along with the removal from the road of certain HGV drivers that don't know or care about obeying the rules of the road.

If the lanes were correctly used, and variable speed limits were used to control the flow better, the M50 could carry significantly more traffic than it does now.

There are other measures that would help. American style lane barriers (blocking early moves into Lanes 2 & 3 when entering. and late exits from lanes 2 & 3) would help, as would some better lane layouts on some of the entry slips, the restrictions on the descending 270 degree turns (M50 North from Long Mile side being one example, Liffey Valley North coming from Dublin is another) make it impossible to get to an acceptable merge speed unless you're driving a very high performance vehicle, which means significant lane change moves happening, which disrupt the through traffic flow.

Probably won't happen in my lifetime, I see way too many issues that have not been dealt with appropriately because the politicians concerned are too afraid of local opinion to make the decisions that are needed in the national interest.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

But he never mentioned the port tunnel...

So what he said is in fact true.

Port Tunnel is part of the M50, there are tolls on it for motorbikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Port Tunnel is part of the M50, there are tolls on it for motorbikes.

I think the confusion lies in the road signage as the gimps who make decisions dont sign the road explicitly as M50 (Some say M1 M50 but thats as good as it gets) plus the rest of M50 (the classic C shaped road) says northbound and southbound. With the tunnel and planned extention, we shoud be talking clockwise/anticlockwise a la M25 in London.

Advertisement