Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Book list?

• 02-09-2014 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Not sure if there's already a thread for this but when do we find out what books we need to buy?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,172 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Your lecturers will tell you during the first few classes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Daledge

Is it true we're better off not buying books as they cost a fortune when the library has everything anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,172 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Depends on what books you need really, i did science and i only ever bought one book but could have even gotten away with not buying that. You'd have to check what books the libo has before committing to not buying any at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

nattyy wrote: »
    Not sure if there's already a thread for this but when do we find out what books we need to buy?
    Your first lectures of the semester you will get reading lists etc
    Daledge wrote: »
    Is it true we're better off not buying books as they cost a fortune when the library has everything anyway?
    Depends on what course you are doing. You will have to buy quite a few books but how many will again depend on what your course is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    Depends on what books you need really, i did science and i only ever bought one book but could have even gotten away with not buying that. You'd have to check what books the libo has before committing to not buying any at all

Dunno if they've gone away from it, but a lot of other universities use online learning (wileyplus, etc) for homework in physics, biology and chemistry, and access codes to these are unique, single use only and only available through book purchase. If anything, first year is the year you need most books in science (even if only for that reason).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

As mentioned in the first week you'll hear which books you'll need. In 3 years of engineering I bought one book and that was more to male things easier for myself than actually needing it. If you are doing English you might want to buy some of the novels but don't waste your money on any €50+ books.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 work2013

Im in 4th year science and have never bought a book. I think people often buy books thinking they'll use them only for them to be glanced at once or twice. Everything you need to know is either given in notes in lectures, in library or online. I've never needed a book in the library though..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Op, what are you studying?

Advertisement