Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature student

Options
  • 02-09-2014 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Thinking of going back to college to become a secondary school teachers as a mature student am 26.
    What sort of leaving cert would I need?(mine wouldn't be great). I'm a fully qualified cabinet maker could I use this for woodwork? Would it work out easier/cheaper/faster if I was to study up north? I've checked online can't seem 2 get to many answers. Hope someone can help me. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bizzyb

Panel mac wrote: »
    Thinking of going back to college to become a secondary school teachers as a mature student am 26.
    What sort of leaving cert would I need?(mine wouldn't be great). I'm a fully qualified cabinet maker could I use this for woodwork? Would it work out easier/cheaper/faster if I was to study up north? I've checked online can't seem 2 get to many answers. Hope someone can help me. Thanks

I'm a qualified wood machinist and looked into becoming a wood work teacher a few years back. I got in touch with one of the lectures I had in Bolton St. about it and I can't remember the exact route or courses but I know I had to do a 4 year course in Limerick and another 2-3 year course somewhere else, hence that put an end to it for me! You would imagine there must be an easier route than 6-7 years in college.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

You can apply for a 4 year degree in Uni of Limerick; Bachelor of Technology (Education) in Materials & Architectural Technology: http://www3.ul.ie/courses/MaterialsAndArchitecturalEducation.php

This kind of concurrent subject and teacher education programme is the fastest way to qualify if you are starting from scratch.

The traditional route was to do a degree in your chosen subject and then go on to do a postgrad course (the old H.Dip now the Professional Diploma in Education), which gives you your teaching qualification. But you would need to make sure your course are recognised by the Teaching Council of Ireland as without TC registration you can find it nearly impossible to get work as a teacher.

List of currently recognised Teaching Council courses for both subject and teacher education: http://www.teachingcouncil.ie/_fileupload/Registration/Subject%20Criteria%20documents/Curricular%20Subject%20Requirements%20up%20to%20Dec%202016.pdf

Advertisement