Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Owners Hanging Up Plastic Bags of Dog Poo

Options
  • 03-09-2014 1:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭

Not another dog poo thread I hear you moan...anyways.

What's the story or state of mind with dog owners who gather up their dog poo into a plastic bag and then hang it on a fence? Out walking in Strandhill and seen a good few of them over recent months, and they're getting more common.

Today, I seen two dog poo bags nicely tied up and all, and dumped on the sand dunes. I mean, FFS, you'd be better just leaving the dog SH1t where it is. It would wash away a whole lot quicker than leaving it in a plastic bag. Am I missing something. Is there a Random Dog Fence Sh1t collector for the Borough?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭whatswhat

I have seen them too and its disgusting and selfish of the owners doing it. I know you would have to catch them first but they should face the same fine as not sweeping it up in the first place. Young children pass by all the time and will not understand what the bags are. If they go opening them, they are being exposed to possible harm.

The people doing this are setting a dangerous precedent as other dog owners might be dumb enough to think its the norm and some new idea of a poo fence. They must have half a brain as they got as far as scooping it up in the first place, I thank them for that but as Kettleson says, they should take it home for disposal.

I wonder if the dog did its business in their garden at home, they would bag it and hang it on their own fence? I think not. They are a disgrace and give good dog owners a bad name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

All last winter there was bag of dog sh1t that someone had carefully bagged up and hung mid air on the wire fence just by the kissing-gate on the way to Killaspugbrone. Such a delight passing that on an early morning walk.

Last week there were 4 similar bags on the fence on the pedestrian walkway above Strandhill beach. Absolutely crazy, cant get my head around what they must think they are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭davebirl

We have a dog and always carry poo bags with us, if there is a bin available we use it and if not we take it home to put in our bin.

I think its shameful that some people hang it on fences, where is the sense in that? Has anyone seen who hangs it on the fence? I must ask a friend that lives in Strandhill if she is aware of the practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,359 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Happens everywhere I see it all the time don't understand why someone would bother picking it up then not throwing it in the bin, it would surely be better to not pick it up at least the crap would wash away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭loki7777

Maybe there was no bin close to them(but that is not an excuse). Just walk around Sligo, even close to main streets - no bins at all, and suddenly all are surprised with all that litter on the streets.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

loki7777 wrote: »
    Maybe there was no bin close to them(but that is not an excuse). Just walk around Sligo, even close to main streets - no bins at all, and suddenly all are surprised with all that litter on the streets.

Yes you're right that's no excuse. As far as town goes, the sort of people who drop litter wouldn't walk 5 yards to put it in a bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭FirstinLastout

If I'm honest then I must admit that I do this too.
    I’ll pop the little bag of loveliness gifted to the world by my pooch somewhere out of the way and complete my walk.
    However I do this only when I’m walking back that direction and will always then collect it; I don’t see the point in taking it for a walk.

I too noticed the little bags left suspended on various fences over the last couple of days while in Strandhill. My theory is that the owners pick up their dog’s shite in the bags while there are other walkers/people about and don’t wish to appear to be the durty minkers that they are.
    However once the PR stunt is over and there is no one looking they’ll happily chuck it for the rest of the world to enjoy and savour.

Advertisement