Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Entering primary school in Limerick

• 03-09-2014 2:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,671 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

We will almost certainly be moving to Limerick next March. I can say moving back, actually, as we lived there for about three years before we left the country.

This time our daughter will be 8, and we will be looking to enter her in a primary school. I am wondering how complicated a process this will be, and what preparation we would need to be starting on (if any). I've heard that it can be difficult to enter some schools.

We don't know where we'd be moving to really, but we lived in Corbally before and liked it. There was a school there called Scoil Ide which would be the ideal school if we did move back to Corbally, but I'm wondering what the application process is (not specifically for that school, but for schools in general).

Any help/info would be welcome.

EDIT: What the hell am I doing, posting in wrong forum. please move to Limerick forum, mods.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

It'd probably be in your interests to E-Mail he schools directly as the information you receive on here will possibly contain bias towards or against certain schools. Scoil Ide is indeed a fine school but there are good schools in every area of Limerick. It would be best to this as quickly as possible as otherwise you could be left with very little choice. My kids are in the Model school and I know there have been some late starters in there but not many. Good luck

list of schools in Limerick city here http://www.schooldays.ie/primary-schools-in-ireland/primary-Limerick-City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Forget about Primary school, the real issue in Limerick is secondary school!!! Especially as two city secondary schools for girls have closed this year.
    It is a CAO style application system in which you will be ALLOCATED a school. It might be 20km out the county.

Save yourself a lot of grief, live in Monaleen attend Monaleen NS or the Gaelscoil and your daughter will have right of entry to Castletroy college ( Secondary ) which is a fine school.

Nothing against scoil Ide it is also a fabulous school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭bennyl10

juneg wrote: »
    Forget about Primary school, the real issue in Limerick is secondary school!!! Especially as two city secondary schools for girls have closed this year.
    It is a CAO style application system in which you will be ALLOCATED a school. It might be 20km out the county.

Save yourself a lot of grief, live in Monaleen attend Monaleen NS or the Gaelscoil and your daughter will have right of entry to Castletroy college ( Secondary ) which is a fine school.

Add Milford to the Castletroy schools too.. Great place to.go and again right of entry to Castletroy..

Scoil Ide is a great school.also though!

Milford NS is not always considered a local school for the purposes of right of entry as many of the students may not live in the catchment area. Maybe they travel in with parents who work in the vicinity.

Often they get their places in Castletroy College but I wouldn't rely on it.

Again Milford is a fine school too.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

Will people stop going on about the schools closing let's face it realistically no one in their right mind would have sent their children the either of the schools if they wanted them to be successful in life.

Milford NS is not always considered a local school for the purposes of right of entry as many of the students may not live in the catchment area. Maybe they travel in with parents who work in the vicinity.

Often they get their places in Castletroy College but I wouldn't rely on it.

Again Milford is a fine school too.

Was counted a couple of years ago, went there myself and did that route, although im finished a couple of years now..

Interesting that it changed though..

Will people stop going on about the schools closing let's face it realistically no one in their right mind would have sent their children the either of the schools if they wanted them to be successful in life.

What even..
    You surely cant be serious?.. That snobbery is so unnecessary and just simply idiotic

What kind of pathetic comment is that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mod Post: There is no need for such an ignorant generalisation. Seeing as you appear to have nothing of worth to add to this thread, do not post in it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,671 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Forget about Primary school
    Ah, I can't exactly afford to do that right now.
    Save yourself a lot of grief, live in Monaleen attend Monaleen NS
    Is it as simple as that, for a student in my daughter's position, which is trying to enrol in a new school in the middle of the school year?

What if the class size is already at a maximum, or there are other potential barriers?

I don't know what the potential problems might be, so I'm trying to find out on this thread, as well as elsewhere.

If it's as simple as just moving to an area in a certain parish, and the National School then must accommodate enrolment of a student, then that's great, but I'm not sure it's as simple as that.

I've emailed Scoil Ide,but no reply yet.
    It would be best to this as quickly as possible as otherwise you could be left with very little choice.
    Yeah, there seems to be a bit of a catch-22 because you need to have proof of address to complete the application process, but we can't get proof of address until we actually move, so it looks like a problem in terms of getting a headstart on it.

What Computer King may not have realised is that two schools closing pushes extra numbers in the Central Aplications System onto all the other schools. This in turn may cause pressure somewhere else along the line displacing someone else who expected to get a place in School X.

Advertisement