Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tongue tie "controversy"?

Options
  • 03-09-2014 2:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

Can anyone properly explain why there is such disagreement between pediatricians and lactation consultants on tongue tie? Irish doctors seem ti think it either doesn't exist or doesn't need treatment while lactation consultants seem to tell practically everyone their baby has it and needs it snipped. Any links to reliable sources of info welcome. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

fiona-f wrote: »
    Can anyone properly explain why there is such disagreement between pediatricians and lactation consultants on tongue tie? Irish doctors seem ti think it either doesn't exist or doesn't need treatment while lactation consultants seem to tell practically everyone their baby has it and needs it snipped. Any links to reliable sources of info welcome. Thanks.

The reasons lc's will see it a lot more is if breastfeeding is going well and is pain free no one is going to fork out the €80 to go see one.

The hse thinks it exists: http://www.hse.ie/eng/health/az/T/Tongue-tie/

I know this is a blog but it's what Justin Roche who is probably the best known paediatrician in Ireland doing tongue ties spoke about: http://breastfeedersconnect.wordpress.com/2013/03/08/dr-justin-roche-la-leche-league-of-ireland-annual-conference-2013/

This is from the American Academy of Otolarynology http://www.entnet.org/content/tongue-tie-ankyloglossia

Personally speaking I was in awful pain feeding my little girl. Awful. Every time she latched on my toes would literally curl in pain. She was my second so I knew that pain wasn't right. The paediatrician and midwife in the hospital told me there was no tongue tie. First phn said there was no tongue tie. I went to my breastfeeding group and both the phn there and the lc who volunteers there saw the tie and I got referred to have it snipped. I have no regrets about having it done she was 15 days old and the relief was immediate.

Oh and I cannot find any links but anecdotedly the reason that a lot of paediatricians don't recognise it as their text books say that tongue ties don't affect breastfeeding.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

My little monster has a very obvious tongue tie. His tongue is heart shaped. We are very lucky we have had no problems with bf.

Am just hoping in the future it won't affect his speech

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

My little one has a tongue tie too, it's not very obvious but we were told at birth that it was there and the paed on duty on discharge told us, the PHN at home told us and our GP has told us. So, people can see it and it's there. They say as long as it's not causing him issues feeding and his speech develops normally he won't need it snipped.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Kaylami

The midwife and doctor only noticed that my baby has a class 4 lip tie after I asked what's wrong with her gums. Have to say both phn spotted it straight away and my gp at her 2week check.

So far it hasn't affected her feeding thank god.

We've been referred to see consultant at the end of October with her.

I think it's hit and miss as we have received conflicting advice - initial consultant said she wouldn't be able to drink from a bottle 2nd consultant said it was amazing she could bf?!?

• Advertisement

Lip ties are more controversial than tongue ties: and lip ties tend to go hand in hand with posterior tongue ties. The general consensus is that lip ties don't affect breastfeeding. I'm not sure I agree because S still can't flare her upper lip and since she's gotten teeth I'm finding that difficult. But my older daughter fell and severed hers at around 10 months and I would imagine S will probably do the same. I was under the impression that there was only one dentist in Athlone/Tullamore doing lip ties in Ireland presently and no doctors? I hope that's changing :)

And I've utterly given up on getting doctors to give the same information!

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Kaylami

Cynig - thanks for that! I have no idea who does the procedure we just got our appointment to see the paediatrician regarding it. I don't know if they will do the procedure or refer us again.

I know what you mean my little one can't really flare out the top lip and seems to use her gums a lot when feeding.

She also has a high roof and a tongue tie also and some formation issues with her gums and jaw so maybe that's why?

I have no idea on that I'm afraid... I've seen it suggested a lot on other groups that there is a link between the increased uptake of people taking folic acid and the increase in tongue ties... Despite looking extensively I can't really find anything to back that up.

There's a breastfeeding with tongue-tie in Ireland group where there is a few people there who would have had to go to London to Dr Levinkind to have lip ties snipped, if you wanted to know more it may be worth asking the question there. It's Dermot Murnane who works in Athlone and Tullamore who is lasering lipties here.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Chocoholic84

My little girl had tongue tie and we got it snipped. Only noticed it ourselves when she was around 7 months, and b'feeding did not go well at all, which I believe was due to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭sari

My sister had bad tongue tie she can't stick her tongue out at all. My mum breastfed her with no issues, that was in the 70s so no support groups etc. but she managed fine and says she remembers that it was slightly more uncomfortable at the start to feed her but nothing major. So maybe sometimes tongue tie isn't an issue and maybe sometimes it is.
    I think most hcps in Ireland are really poorly educated on breast feeding so not the best people to listen to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

My 2yr old is tongue tied, and it caused problems with breastfeeding. She couldn't latch on well, and it was excruciatingly for me😞. Other than that, there have been no other problems, I saw told unless it effected feeding or speech, it would be left be. Her tongue just looks like it has a split along the middle of it, and she can't push it all the way out. Once it can be stuck out at all past the lips, it should be OK. Doesn't stop her blowing massive raspberries anyway !

• Registered Users Posts: 7 annabananas

There's a professor in the regional in Limerick but for the life of me Icant remember his full name ( Paul ...) . the lactation consultants in Limerick maternity can tell you. He snipped my LO's TT at 3 weeks, and said can do the TT when he is one as a day patient (He has to be anaesthetised). I was in and out in under and hour, and it was free as he was under 6 weeks. Great service. He was an absolute gentleman to us on the day.

He also said that its usually hereditary ( and lo and behold my DS1 has it - TT and LT too - I just thought he wasnt good at breastfeeding). Will be back to him in a few months for the LT!

Professor john Fenton! He did my little ones tongue tie in the regional too... I didn't know he did lip tie which is great to know.

My first had a lip tie but she tore it in a fall that's very common I think... But if S doesn't at least I know I can get it done if needs be :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 annabananas

cyning wrote: »
    Professor john Fenton! He did my little ones tongue tie in the regional too... I didn't know he did lip tie which is great to know.

My first had a lip tie but she tore it in a fall that's very common I think... But if S doesn't at least I know I can get it done if needs be :)

The very man! It was wrecking my head all morning thanks! My GP didn't even know anything about him. ..and shes Limerick City. I'm kinda hoping that ds1 will fall and tear his ...ds2 prob a bit young for falling on concrete at this stage :-)

Interestingly Dr. Fenton told me that he was doing a study with dentists across Ireland to see if there was an actual link about having a gap in the front teeth and lip tie. He thinks its all linked up....especially bad cases of lip tie.

My hubby has a lip and tongue tie and a gap in his front teeth! He was absolutely lovely: he's heading up the hse group looking at frenotomy as far as I know.

C was 8 months when she did hers ;) she was climbing on her toy box slipped and it tore... Serious blood out of it but all find in 20 minutes

Advertisement