Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trader criticises sale of Lidl produce at English Market

• 03-09-2014 4:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭

A prominent trader at the English Market in Cork has expressed his disappointment at the news that a fellow trader is selling vegetables from Lidl, saying it goes against the traders’ aim of trying to showcase the market as the home of fresh Irish produce.
    Mr O’Connell made his comments on Cork’s 96FM Opinion Line after the show investigated and confirmed reports that one of the traders, Michael O’Herlihy of The Farmer stall was buying some of his vegetables at a Lidl in Cork and selling it at a marked-up rate.

Listeners to 96FM reported seeing the same baby potatoes for 49 cent, but they were being sold at The Farmer stall for €1 per bag, said Ms O’Shaughnessy, who stressed Mr O’Herlihy was not claiming that the vegetables were local or organic.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/trader-criticises-sale-of-lidl-produce-at-english-market-1.1915772

There are a few shops around here doing the exact same thing. Aldi cup noodles are sold for 37c each. This small local shop is charging €1.30 each. Had a friend do a test purchase. How will RGDATA defend these practices?

If I was the head of Tesco/Dunnes I would open a small express stores in every small town and village and drive these small little greedy traders out of business.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭csm

So you'd prefer Tesco/Dunnes to run shops with even higher mark-ups, rather than a local Joe Bloggs?

I see the problem from the English Market point of view, as they have a 'brand' to uphold. But your local shop? What's the issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Chris___ wrote: »

There are a few shops around here doing the exact same thing. Aldi cup noodles are sold for 37c each. This small local shop is charging €1.30 each. Had a friend do a test purchase. How will RGDATA defend these practices?

Hello Mr Aldi, How many packs of cup noodles would you like? "I'll take 600,000 - deliver them to my warehouse in a single big truck."

Hello Mr Independent Retail, How many packs of cup noodles would you like? "I'll take 60 but as you won't deliver a small order of 60, I'll buy them from my local wholesaler"

Also, local shop will be selling you a brand and aldi will be their own brand. Not suggesting difference in quality, but Aldi tell a supplier what they will pay and its for the supplier to meet that price - in many cases it ends up being a different quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

delahuntv wrote: »
    Also, local shop will be selling you a brand and aldi will be their own brand. Not suggesting difference in quality, but Aldi tell a supplier what they will pay and its for the supplier to meet that price - in many cases it ends up being a different quality.

I think that in this case, the local shop are selling Aldi's brand, as that's the point of the thread... they're buying them as a consumer in Aldi to begin with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Chris___ wrote: »
    I don't see anything to defend really.

I just view it as though Aldi are like cash & carry where you do not need a card, you can go buy stuff direct from them or from a local more convenient retailer who buys from them and sells for a profit. -this may be cheaper than having to pay to travel to the large shop. Retailers already buy cadbury branded bars from the likes of tesco, I know of pubs who buy bottles from centra.

In a previous thread I was asking posters who were retailers if they would consider selling lidl brand bars. One was adamant that this was illegal, but could not point to any actual laws or any publicised case of it being stopped here.
    doublej wrote: »
    There is absolutely no way that ANY multiple ( LIDL, Aldi, Tesco or Dunnes )would allow any of their branded products, but especially any branded food product be offered for sale in another retail outlet, no matter how small it was.
    They would consider it to be a breach of their copyright and would( and have) come down like a ton of bricks on retailers that have tried this over the years.
    I could quote dozens of instances of retailers being compelled to cease and desist from activities that brand holders of Own Brands have sent to the small shop holders.
    He could not point to a single one out of these "dozens of instances" -which did not surprise me in the slightest.
    Rubadub, lets get this straight; It would be an illegal action for a retailer to offer for sale an own brand product that was developed for exclusive sale in the outlets owned or licenced to a Symbol or Multiple to which that retailer did not belong.

So he was not even talking about it being illegal due to going against cease & desist letters, but was clearly saying its illegal from the start.

Perhaps it is true though, he sounded like he knew what he was on about but had zero evidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

I cant see how it could be possibly illegal to resell something bought from aldi, even one of their own brands.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭laughter189

I was always told that when you buy something , you own it , and are therefore allowed to use it , sell it , or do whatever you want with it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I was always told that when you buy something , you own it , and are therefore allowed to use it , sell it , or do whatever you want with it .

Thats correct. This is another thread that has no basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

prominent trader at the English Market in Cork has expressed his disappointment at the news that a fellow trader is selling vegetables from Lidl, saying it goes against the traders’ aim of trying to showcase the market as the home of fresh Irish produce.

two questions

1. how does he know the vegetables from Lidl aren't Irish?

2. if they want to showcase it as "the home of fresh Irish produce", then why the fcuk is it called The English Market?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Some interesting comments on the time page.
    I was born and raised in Cork, still living there and a regular shopper at the English market. As long as I remember, there has ALWAYS been stalls that sell non-local/non-fresh and supermarket foods that can be bought in any shop. FFS, until a few months ago there was even a joke shop that sells sex toys and alkyl nitrites!!

Mr O'Connell getting uppity now because he was invited to a Buckingham palace garden tea, along with a few other tens of thousands. Why doesn't he take himself off to a farmer's market if he's bothered, there's plenty of them around the place.
    I wonder what support there would be for a restriction to sell only local produce (within reason, i.e. not coffee). I would expect some chicken fillets sold there would be foreign. If they do expose/investigate more this little moan could backfire badly and really harm their reputation if it turns out more are buying non-local stuff.

Another trader might well be selling the exact same potatoes from the same farmers crop, just bought from another supplier. And I expect that trader would also be selling them at a markup, shocking as it may seem.

This story reminds me of how locals in Dalkey do not want mulitnationals like starbucks coming into their "special town".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

rubadub wrote: »
    Some interesting comments on the time page.

I wonder what support there would be for a restriction to sell only local produce (within reason, i.e. not coffee). I would expect some chicken fillets sold there would be foreign. If they do expose/investigate more this little moan could backfire badly and really harm their reputation if it turns out more are buying non-local stuff.

Another trader might well be selling the exact same potatoes from the same farmers crop, just bought from another supplier. And I expect that trader would also be selling them at a markup, shocking as it may seem.

This story reminds me of how locals in Dalkey do not want mulitnationals like starbucks coming into their "special town".

That guy was reselling stuff from Lidl and Aldi YEARS ago, don't see why its such a big deal now.

It's a common practise imo.

Here in Holland theres a local discount shop called Aktion, they sell lots of random stuff for knock down prices, no food through except some chocolates.

I saw a guy filling a trolley full of Gas Canisters for camping stoves, they are 1.25 a can in Aktion, he owns the camping store up the road saw the same canisters selling for 3.25 in his own store :rolleyes:

Even some bars and restaurants will go and bulk buy a load of beer in the Supermarket when they sell it below cost.

The larger budget supermarkets over here have clamped down on this now saying you can only buy a maximum of 3 or 6 pieces at a time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,675 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

People think it's illegal for pubs to buy alcohol in supermarkets for re-sale.

It's perfectly legal.

However, the supermarket might not like the publican doing it.

Indeed, I see signs in Adli/Lidl that goods are for sale for the general public, not for re-sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭countrynosebag

Approximately once a year we get to Cork. We are older and it is a journey if nearly 2 hours each way.
    It is therefore, the common practice to get a few things that are hard to get, or not able to get as we live in an isolated rural area. We buy, sometimes, 2 dozen if this or 1 dozen of that and this lasts the year.
    Naturally we would be really annoyed to be restricted because of the actions of others. For instance, we are not able to buy non-alcoholic lager. On medications that prohibit alcohol altogether it means that we enjoy a drink here and there, especially birthdays and xmas.
    I think some discretion should be practiced as elderly disabled are not running shops but simply looking for some things they would like to use now and then, especially as the arduous journey can only be undertaken so rarely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Approximately once a year we get to Cork. We are older and it is a journey if nearly 2 hours each way.
    It is therefore, the common practice to get a few things that are hard to get, or not able to get as we live in an isolated rural area. We buy, sometimes, 2 dozen if this or 1 dozen of that and this lasts the year.
    Naturally we would be really annoyed to be restricted because of the actions of others. For instance, we are not able to buy non-alcoholic lager. On medications that prohibit alcohol altogether it means that we enjoy a drink here and there, especially birthdays and xmas.
    I think some discretion should be practiced as elderly disabled are not running shops but simply looking for some things they would like to use now and then, especially as the arduous journey can only be undertaken so rarely.

how is this related to the thread?

Advertisement