Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad tenant upstairs

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Dors1976

I asked the estate agent and she said that you don't have to disclose about bad tenants. Surprisingly enough that apartment is up for sale online but no board on the apartment. Guess the landlord got fed up too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Dors1976 wrote: »
    I asked the estate agent and she said that you don't have to disclose about bad tenants. Surprisingly enough that apartment is up for sale online but no board on the apartment. Guess the landlord got fed up too.

The estate agent isn't a solicitor versed in property law. The question of the neighbours does come up in the pre-contract queries, which you have to answer truthfully. It then forms the contract between vendor and buyer. If there's anything that the buyer finds out subsequently that you didn't mention in the questionnaire, then the vendor can be sued.

Yes, they can.
    The estate agent isn't a solicitor versed in property law. The question of the neighbours does come up in the pre-contract queries, which you have to answer truthfully. It then forms the contract between vendor and buyer. If there's anything that the buyer finds out subsequently that you didn't mention in the questionnaire, then the vendor can be sued.

Oh - not mention of it anywhere by anyone. Must ring about it. Should be ok though as apartment with bad tenant is also up for sale so problem should be solved ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭mountsky

Apartment blocks are nothing short of a recipe for disaster,peace and quiet are non existent, landlords don't particularly give a monkeys they just want their 'blood money',quite frankly they don't really care at all,the PRTB,hmm,I've heard they can take forever and three days to solve stuff if at all,so its kinda a non-runner per sa

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

mountsky wrote: »
    Apartment blocks are nothing short of a recipe for disaster,peace and quiet are non existent, landlords don't particularly give a monkeys they just want their 'blood money',quite frankly they don't really care at all,the PRTB,hmm,I've heard they can take forever and three days to solve stuff if at all,so its kinda a non-runner per sa

I think thats a bit disingenuous towards good landlords.
    Trying to get rid of a troublesome tennant can be much harder than you think.
    We used to live in an apartment where the apartment below us, on the ground floor with its own door, turned into hell on earth with partying every weekend from midnight till noon Friday night to Monday. There was always huge crowds and fights always breaking out.
    The landlord had fully renovated the apartment before they had moved in and they destroyed it.
    Management company and Letting agent got nowhere, the landlord, who even changed the locks but they kicked the door back in, was basically told to Fu@k off by them.
    In the end it was the constant harassment by the Garda due to the regular fighting and drinking outside the apartment that they left.
    There's a lot more to what was going on in that situation which is why the Garda took a keener interest, otherwise the L.L. the Management company and the Letting agent were powerless against these people who basically became squatters in someone else's property.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

mountsky wrote: »

They work perfectly fine anywhere that's not Ireland and are the most common form of accommodation in the cities. The problem clearly lies elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Selling now might not be a bad idea

Selling now might not be a bad idea

Yep - feel it's best now. Fingers crossed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    They work perfectly fine anywhere that's not Ireland and are the most common form of accommodation in the cities. The problem clearly lies elsewhere.

Yep. The crap quality of a lot of apartments thrown up by greedy developers during the Celtic Tiger years...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The more I read threads like this the happier I am to live virtually in the middle of a field with no neighbours. You have my sympathy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement