Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's in your school lunch?

Options
  • 03-09-2014 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭

Today they went with:

Spelt roll & jam
    Pistachios.
    Banana
    Popcorn
    Water

Looking for more ideas, help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Very adventerous, my guys are so boring and won't change

Child 1
    Crackers with cheese,
    Liga biscuit
    kiwi & grapes
    Water

Child 2
    Rice cakes
    Breakfast biscuit's with butter
    Water

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

My chap loves plain pasta so I make some the night before and he takes that with some cooked chicken or salami/chorizo.
    He also loves pickled gherkins, raw carrots and mushrooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

RubyGirl wrote: »
    Very adventerous, my guys are so boring and won't change

Yep, thats what I want to get away from. Kids are happy with the same thing everyday but thats not very good for them, nutritionally or psychologically.

Last year they had ham sandwiches! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Mine is very fussy so it tends to be the same thing but I try and have a different mix each day. Cheese, breadsticks, ricecakes, peanut butter on crackers, fruit, bran muffins, pasta salad and on friday they can have a treat so we give him a rice krispie bun.

eviltwin wrote: »
    Mine is very fussy so it tends to be the same thing but I try and have a different mix each day. Cheese, breadsticks, ricecakes, peanut butter on crackers, fruit, bran muffins, pasta salad and on friday they can have a treat so we give him a rice krispie bun.

Do they come back or were they eaten when you try something new?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Pasta with Pesto, raw carrots , raisins, grapes & a yogurt - In fairness my daughter isn't a fussy eater..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,384 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Ham sandwich on wholemeal sliced pan.
    Rice Krispie bar
    Little gingerbread man today as a treat cos today's a special date for us.

He will not look at fruit or yoghurt!

in his sandwiches sometimes he has cheese with or instead of ham, other times it's chicken with/out cheese.

Also he brings about a litre of very diluted orange or blackcurrant squash.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

ch750536 wrote: »
    Do they come back or were they eaten when you try something new?

He used to eat them for a few days and then they would come back barely picked at so now he has something different every day but I rotate it on a weekly basis so he gets the same lunch every monday etc. I started that midway through his ECCE year and it seems to work okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Brown roll with either cheese and pesto, cheese and ham or peanut butter and jam (on Friday). 2 pieces of fruit and an activia strawberry yoghurt. Every single school day for the last 7 years :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Sweet Rose

Hopefully this might help you. I can imagine it's hard to make lunches everyday for your child. I find it hard for myself even.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭dockleaf

Aargh, back to the school lunches again.:P

To vary it up, sometimes ours will have a homemade scone ( you can make all types of cheese, fruit, savoury) instead of a sandwich. Or if we make spanish omelette for dinner they'll have some cold the next day for lunch- equally homemade quiche. Sometimes I cut up the omelette into cubes and put it on a straw or cocktail stick so it's a bit easier for them to eat.

Soup is another great one, depending on the age ( younger children might find it messy). We usually make a homemade soup for sunday lunch to use up any veg left over from the week and then have enough left over for mondays lunch.

Left over chicken with plain pasta, or sometimes plain pasta and then with it I put alternating cubes of cheese and ham or leftover meat or grapes on a cocktail stick.

I had great success for a while with wraps, was getting all kind of goodness into them but they got sick of them.Same for boiled eggs, they liked them for a while but I think got teased for bringing them in so wouldnt eat them any more.

We make a salmon rilette ( a homemade pate) sometimes and they love it spread on small toasts for lunch.

In fairness the fruit is easy, just a banana or small apple, a few grapes, small oranges and sometimes some seeds like sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds in a small bag.

My sister is a dentist and has me well warned, so it is only ever water to drink!

One of mine isnt mad about sandwiches and the school is nut free and white fish free and we have a healthy eating policy ( so no cereal bars or treats) so I;m going to watch this thread with interest. It can be easy to get into a rut and not try something new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 746 ✭✭✭diveout

I used to mix it up. I'd send in hot food in a small thermos (in autumn and winter) and the kids would make fun of him, so now we are back to tuna or ham sandwiches. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Am finding lunches challenging myself but I also have another query?
    My daughter is doing her ecce Playschool yr.
    so breakfast at home
    Ham sandwich for lunch
    Then she home at 12:30. Wants lunch so give petit filous and crackers (she wants more bread but I don't want that)
    Then dinner at 5.
    She won't eat fruit at all. If given the choice she would eat pure carbs.

What's your daily routine for Playschool child and/or primary school child? Please I'd love to know what others do.

My son in primary will eat loads of fruit so I find him a lot easier to feed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Mine is in preschool, but she gets

1 fruit
    1 carb
    1 dairy/protein
    Plus small piece of Cheese

Plus water.

Fruit is one from : Sliced apple or pear, some berries or grapes, an orange peeled for her, or raisins if we are out of everything.

Carb is either buttered bread/roll, crackers, breadsticks, rice cake, a small tortilla wrap, pasta with a bit of pepper and olive oil.

Dairy/protein is a small yoghurt, or slice of quiche, or chopped chicken/meat.

Dentist in the family here too, so water to drink and i almost always put in some cheese with everything else for her to eat very last.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

diveout wrote: »
    I used to mix it up. I'd send in hot food in a small thermos (in autumn and winter) and the kids would make fun of him, so now we are back to tuna or ham sandwiches. :(

Oh god that's awful :(

My lad just likes routine. Dinner is varied so I don't mind him having the same lunch every day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

pwurple wrote: »
    Mine is in preschool, but she gets

1 fruit
    1 carb
    1 dairy/protein
    Plus small piece of Cheese

Plus water.

Fruit is one from : Sliced apple or pear, some berries or grapes, an orange peeled for her, or raisins if we are out of everything.

Carb is either buttered bread/roll, crackers, breadsticks, rice cake, a small tortilla wrap, pasta with a bit of pepper and olive oil.

Dairy/protein is a small yoghurt, or slice of quiche, or chopped chicken/meat.

Dentist in the family here too, so water to drink and i almost always put in some cheese with everything else for her to eat very last.

Thanks Pwurple,

Would you mind telling me what she eats and quantities of food on a daily basis. ?
    I'm afraid I'm over feeding my 4yr old.

Just saw this:

http://chaosinthekitchen.com/2009/06/homemade-air-popped-microwaveable-popcorn/

tldr;
    Make your own popcorn, cheap & additive free. Only problem is, where is best to get the kernels from?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Don't forget that many schools do not allow any kind of nuts. (No smart comments!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

Just saw this:

http://chaosinthekitchen.com/2009/06/homemade-air-popped-microwaveable-popcorn/

tldr;
    Make your own popcorn, cheap & additive free. Only problem is, where is best to get the kernels from?

You'll usually see bags of them beside the microwaveable stuff in supermarkets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Lisha wrote: »
    Thanks Pwurple,

Would you mind telling me what she eats and quantities of food on a daily basis. ?
    I'm afraid I'm over feeding my 4yr old.

Honestly it changes so much, even on a daily basis. Somedays she barely eats anything, sometimes I don't know where she is putting it. There's no standard day! I wouldn't know where to start with the qtys, because I'd have to go weighing things? Take Brocolli.... I'd put maybe 30grams on the plate, she might finish it and ask for more. I'd give her more. Or a small lamb chop, cut up. She'd eat it all but not want more. A small/medium spud, wouldn't eat all of it. But that could change the next day and she'd pick at two things. Other days it's extra helpings of everything. I don't think they starve themselves, and I'm lucky in that she seems to self-regulate even with sweets etc. She'll refuse cake or ice-cream if she's not hungry.

I don't monitor her eating too closely other than trying to keep an eye that it's fairly balanced, not too much of any one thing... so she either eats it or doesn't. If she leaves it I'm not bothered. If she is hungry she asks for more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

My guy (5) usually has
    sandwich/roll with ham (he loves them, no idea why)
    a box of raisins.
    Nutrigrain
    2 youghurts
    5 tuc crackers.

He dies not like when I mix it up most days and not everyday will he eat everything, but I just go with it.

My guy (5) usually has
    sandwich/roll with ham (he loves them, no idea why)
    a box of raisins.
    Nutrigrain
    2 youghurts
    5 tuc crackers.

He dies not like when I mix it up most days and not everyday will he eat everything, but I just go with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

As an adult I couldn't eat five tuc crackers in one day! :D Fair play to him! He must drink a lot of water to counteract all the salt I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,534 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Today they went with:

Pistachios.
    Popcorn

Looking for more ideas, help!

Schools must hate you, most schools ban those two because of the potential for making a mess on the floor

As an adult I couldn't eat five tuc crackers in one day! :D Fair play to him! He must drink a lot of water to counteract all the salt I guess!

They aren't as salty as they used be, he loves it. I do use it to get him to drink water though, otherwise he would be just not drink anything.

Advertisement