Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Butcher recommendations

Options
  • 03-09-2014 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

Looking for a recommendation for a decent butcher in NCD, preferably in swords area, but happy to travel a bit further if needs be.
    I have tried a couple of local butchers and have found the quality is just ok. It is more comparable with what you might find prepacked in a supermarket (fairly bland and non descript) rather than being a superior product, which it should be.
    Hopefully such an establishment exists!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Have you tried JC's supermarket in Swords? They have a proper butchers there and their meat is really good. They'll usually order in anything they haven't got.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Gumble01

Boylan butchers in rush sell quality meat https://www.facebook.com/boylanfamily.butchers

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Maybe a little further afield, but the meat from McArdle's in Charlestown is just top quality. I've never had a problem with them. The butchers are always very friendly and helpful and the meat is delicious.

http://www.mcardlemeats.com/index.php?contentid=our-charlestown-street-store

Worth a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Dolans Butchers in Swords are friendly and the produce is great. Great sized chicken fillets and i always get their 20e offer

They also have a fish counter in there too http://www.yourlocal.ie/company/379241053921280

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

+1 for Dolans. My Mam, friends and I get all our meat there and the staff are so nice too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Bradys in Fairview and Drumcondra

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Tilly wrote: »
    +1 for Dolans. My Mam, friends and I get all our meat there and the staff are so nice too.

+2

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'd never heard of Dolan's until I noticed the shop on the way past a couple of weeks ago and I'll be dropping in now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lemeister

Thanks for the recommendations folks. Will certainly try some of those.
    I actually do go to JC's DB and whilst the meat is fine, I don't think it is top quality. Steaks for example are certainly not hung for 21 days plus. I do have to say though that they have a great selection of meats and are generally good value too

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

High mcguires in the Tesco shopping centre in Ashbourne is where I go. Proper award winning craft butcher, nothing you could ask would phase him. He will order in anything out of the ordinary and is reasonable price wise

• Advertisement

BKWDR wrote: »
    Dolans Butchers in Swords are friendly and the produce is great. Great sized chicken fillets and i always get their 20e offer

They also have a fish counter in there too http://www.yourlocal.ie/company/379241053921280
    Actually I just remembered that I did call in there a few years ago and asked for a couple of rib eye steaks but was given very average sirloin steaks (it seemed to me like he thought I didn't know the difference)! Turned me off the place, but will give it a go again based on recommendations here.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭PawneeRanger

Hannigan's Butcher in Applewood is great. Top quality meat and really good deals.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Hannigan's Butcher in Applewood is great. Top quality meat and really good deals.

I've gone there a couple of times, and found them good. Never tested them by looking for some of the more unusual cuts I get in Hugh McGuires though!

Was in JCs yesterday, looking for bavette/flank, one of the staff had no idea what I was looking for.

I used to be a regular there and found the meat quality not bad at all. However their deals were never the advertised weights......2 lbs of mince or steak pieces were often in the 700g region (rather than 908g). When querying the discrepancy they would just say it was an old sign I was referring to (even though I would explicitly point to the deal sign in the shop😕) or i was once told that 2 lbs was 800g!! The final straw for me was one day when I asked for the weights in the prepacked trays to be checked, the owner came storming out wanting to know if I thought they were robbing me and mumbling something about the price of beef!! Was shocked by his attitude and haven't been back since.
    Pity as their meat was decent enough, but if you can't trust a butcher to weigh out stuff correctly........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

+1 for Boylan brothers in Rush.

Excellent service and the quality of their meat is very good. They also have a great range on offer.

Great week end deals and fiver Fridays

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

You can do a lot worse than Howleys in Lusk.

Advertisement