Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any synthetic hormone free women out there?

Options
  • 03-09-2014 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I am an oddity. Although I’m reaching the stage where contraception won’t be an issue, I have never used hormonal contraception of any kind. It’s a long story but it happened first by accident and then on purpose.
    Now I am convinced that this was a huge stroke of luck in my life that has altered everything. Over time I have come to value my natural cycle more and more – the incredible power of the ovulating days and the quiet at the other end of the cycle. It’s made me who I am. Without this I think I would have become a totally different person but never have known what I was missing. More and more I am bothered that I am in a tiny minority and I hate that young women are medicated and implanted before they have even had a chance to get to know their bodies.
    For years I have scoured the internet for like-minded information but have drawn a blank. Generally the advice seems to be that if you have a problem on the pill, just try another brand. To me this is totally missing the point.
    Anyway, I now have two daughters who will soon be making choices around contraception. I can’t bear to think of them choosing to switch off their reproductive systems and never knowing their full female power. Although I have talked to them about my views and experience, I’m afraid that Mum’s wacky wisdom will be no match for the combined weight of the media, doctors, friends and the pharma industry. For them and for other young women, I need more information. Is there anyone out there with similar experiences? Please tell your stories!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Took the pill for a few months years ago but apparently I have an 'irregular electrical discharge in my left brain hemisphere' which the pill aggravated causing petit mal (absence) seizures. So I stopped taking the pill and have been on epilepsy meds since then.
    :)

So pretty much hormone free since 2003.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

I'm rather the opposite, I've had the Mirena for years and would never go back. I hated periods from day one, and found them disgusting and nothing but hassle, so to be free of them is fantastic.

Each to their own, of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

You're hardly an oddity... My mum never used the pill either. She had her children and then their choice of contraception was a vasectomy. Many people that age in Ireland would be similar.

I've used the pill for a total of 9 cycles in my life. 4 separate times, 3 of which were to regulate my cycles in order to get pregnant. I found it very useful for that purpose. Without it I would have had to do IVF. I'm not the only one in that boat either. There are other uses for the pill. It cuts the risk of endometrial and ovarian cancer by 70%. People use it to help with endometriosis, skin problems, pmt etc. there are even studies on it improving women's long-term fertility. I think it's a fairly amazing piece of medicine to be honest.

I don't use the pill myself, don't need it. But I wouldn't be so judgemental towards women who find it useful/liberating. We are all different, and our requirements often change throughout our lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I went on the pill at 19 and came off it a few months later as I had terrible headaches, went onto Depo Provera which I loved as there were no periods but you can only stay on that for a maximum of two years as it can damage bone density if used longer, I've been going natural ever since.

I remember being told that natural family planning was very risky and the only reason we went with it was because we were at a stage where a pregnancy would have been okay. But it didn't happen. I've been using an online fertility monitor for years now and luckily I have a very regular cycle but I am so much more in tune now with my body than I ever thought I would be. As it happened when we did decide to try for another baby I conceived within two months so its as helpful for those who want kids as those who don't.

I said this on another thread that its seen as a lot more risky than it is or that its something only hippies or religious people do...I am neither :) It just works for me but I wouldn't recommended it to my daughter yet as it offers no protection against STD's. I also think you need to have the security of a long term relationship with someone you trust just in case a pregnancy happens, as I said it was fine for us as an unplanned pregnancy wouldn't have been a disaster at that time. I can completely appreciate why its a total non option for a lot of people. The risks are huge and when you weigh up the stress and trauma of an unwanted pregnancy against maybe not being 100% in tune with your body its a bit of a no brainer really.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Piglet85

I was anti-pill for years, and resisted it until I was in mid-twenties, despite having horrific period pain, and even worse PMS. I was terrified to take it, as my natural hormones left me in such a terrible state each month that I thought adding the pill to the mix was too great a risk. In the end, though, the monthly bouts of serious depression were too much to take, and I began taking the pill (first the mini-pill, which suited me fine, but I chose to switch to the combined after about a year because of an unrelated issue which my new pill helps with). Anyway, after all my determination to stay away from hormonal contraception, it has honestly changed my life for the better. I can't stress how amazing it is to not have the paranoia, depression, restlessness, helplessness, confusion and upset that went with my natural cycle each month.

I know that's not what you were hoping to hear, but I suppose I'm just trying to say, don't be so quick to write it off. I almost did, but allowing my mind to be changed has been an incredibly positive thing for me. Also, no offence but I think this thing of "knowing your full female power" by staying off hormones is a bit ridiculous really. In my opinion, you're placing too much of an emphasis on your period. I think I can "know my full female power" better now that I'm not psychologically impaired for a full week of the month, followed by another of crippling pain. Each to their own, but the best thing you can do is give your daughters as much information as possible, and respect the decisions they make as a result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I wasn't on the pill very long, maybe two years off and on but I won't be using hormonal contraception again. I have two children and we're undecided about having more. I have been breastfeeding and/or pregnant for three years now and have only menstruated a handful of times but when my cycles return properly I plan on monitoring things very closely and also using a barrier method. If I wasn't in a secure, committed relationship with someone I am happy to have children with I wouldn't rely on this method of avoiding pregnancy though.
    It comes down to your life and what's right for you. I know women who don't ever want children and have investigated tubal ligation but this isn't done in Ireland unless you have children and/or are over a certain age so they're using long term forms of hormonal contraception. I don't see it as a powerful female thing. I had two very medicalised births (planned caesarian sections) so I don't think being free of artificial elements around ovulation are a big deal. It doesn't suit me to use hormonal contraception but I can completely understand why others find it a very good thing indeed to be able to control their fertility.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I am an oddity. Although I’m reaching the stage where contraception won’t be an issue, I have never used hormonal contraception of any kind. It’s a long story but it happened first by accident and then on purpose.
    Now I am convinced that this was a huge stroke of luck in my life that has altered everything. Over time I have come to value my natural cycle more and more – the incredible power of the ovulating days and the quiet at the other end of the cycle. It’s made me who I am. Without this I think I would have become a totally different person but never have known what I was missing. More and more I am bothered that I am in a tiny minority and I hate that young women are medicated and implanted before they have even had a chance to get to know their bodies.
    For years I have scoured the internet for like-minded information but have drawn a blank. Generally the advice seems to be that if you have a problem on the pill, just try another brand. To me this is totally missing the point.
    Anyway, I now have two daughters who will soon be making choices around contraception. I can’t bear to think of them choosing to switch off their reproductive systems and never knowing their full female power. Although I have talked to them about my views and experience, I’m afraid that Mum’s wacky wisdom will be no match for the combined weight of the media, doctors, friends and the pharma industry. For them and for other young women, I need more information. Is there anyone out there with similar experiences? Please tell your stories!

If you are an oddity, then so too must an awful lot of women my mothers age be, as she and many other women I know of her age never took any form of hormonal contraception or even used barrier methods of contraception.

I came off the pill in 2009. With the exception of about 6 months of clomid, I'm on natural cycles since then, and paid very close attention to my cycles to try to conceive. I wouldnt dispute that there is something really nice about not being on hormonal contraception and recognising the physical changes in each cycle, I get quite bad mittlesmertz, sore breasts, headaches in some if not all cycles, as well as mood changes. And thats now that I'm nearing 40 and my cycles have settled down a lot, much like yours, I suspect, since we seem to be similar ages?

But when I was your daughters ages, I suffered monthly migranes, iron depletion, fainted regularly, and pain. Lots and lots of pain. And the pill helped me to function, as well as keeping me baby-free when I needed that in my life. You got to make your hormonal choices and you made the ones that suit you. Your daughters, for all your wishes to the contrary, will make their own minds up too.

Its all very well embracing womanhood and the power of ovulation, but during final university exams or trekking to Machu Piccu its damned inconvenient - and that's the experiences I'd prefer my daughters (if I had any) to have in early adulthood, and leave the auld mittlesmertz experience until they have explored the world a little.

I'm curious, do you intend remain hormone free during menopause too?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 naturalish woman

Of course everyone has to make up their own mind. It goes without saying. What worries me is that only one side of the story is being told and for young women in particular that means they are not making a truly informed choice. How many doctors prescribing the pill for painful periods are even aware, let alone explain to their patients the full implications of the drug they are taking? (by the way, I also experienced period pain so bad I used to vomit and faint at school - heavy painkillers eventually sorted it for me)
    There are significant concerns about hormonal contraception: there are studies showing it linked with female sexual dysfunction, with long term reductions in fertility, with altering our choice of partner (I can give references if anyone wants) but for some reason these seem to have been largely ignored.
    Would men accept a contraceptive treatment where "loss of libido" is a recognised side effect? And is "convenience" really the most important criterion for a decision this big?
    I just think we need to ask a lot more questions here and at least allow young women to experience themselves drug-free for a while at least so they have a baseline understanding of their bodies before they start customising them. Anyone with me here?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Of course everyone has to make up their own mind. It goes without saying. What worries me is that only one side of the story is being told and for young women in particular that means they are not making a truly informed choice. How many doctors prescribing the pill for painful periods are even aware, let alone explain to their patients the full implications of the drug they are taking? (by the way, I also experienced period pain so bad I used to vomit and faint at school - heavy painkillers eventually sorted it for me)
    There are significant concerns about hormonal contraception: there are studies showing it linked with female sexual dysfunction, with long term reductions in fertility, with altering our choice of partner (I can give references if anyone wants) but for some reason these seem to have been largely ignored.
    Would men accept a contraceptive treatment where "loss of libido" is a recognised side effect? And is "convenience" really the most important criterion for a decision this big?
    I just think we need to ask a lot more questions here and at least allow young women to experience themselves drug-free for a while at least so they have a baseline understanding of their bodies before they start customising them. Anyone with me here?

In an ideal world yes but its not an ideal world. Women have a lot to lose from not taking adequate protection and okay you can argue that natural contraception works well, which it does, but you really have to know yourself very well in order to interpret the signs. It took me years, literally to know when I was safe and when I wasn't and to be able to have sex on those days without the fear. You can't expect a young woman just starting out in a sexual relationship to do that, especially if kids are not on her radar. 50% of pregnancies are unplanned, you'll see a lot of posts on pregnancy forums from women who thought they were safe but got caught out, its a huge risk. What do you suggest to those who do take it and end up with a pregnancy they don't want?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I'm sure you're not meaning to come across as patronizing, but that's how it sounds. I think you should give women some credit for being able to work out whether hormonal contraception is for them or some other method is better. It's all very well talking about women having a baseline understanding of their bodies, but if you're 18 and need to get through the leaving cert or a long awaited holiday without the hassle of a period, I don't see anything wrong with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I don't really see the point in espousing the power of your periods and how feminine it is and then asking what would men do, it's not a competition

I should think the side effects of the pill are indeed well known whether from weight gain, causing/helping acne, moodiness, etc etc. And yes, switching brand is indeed a valid option.
    I don't know how only one side of any story is being told. There are other alternatives like barrier methods etc and they are certainly being pushed especially for STI risks or whatever

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I don't take hormonal contraception, but that's mostly because my period isn't that much of a bother. I've taken contraception in the past and it does practically alleviate any symptoms associated with my period, but the symptoms are mild enough without it that it doesn't make much of a difference.

Not every woman is like that though, so I would never judge a woman for taking hormonal contraception for whatever reason. I also wouldn't consider myself an oddity. I have friends who use it and friends who don't.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Would men accept a contraceptive treatment where "loss of libido" is a recognised side effect?
    Well speaking as one of those men types, yep I'd take it, or at least I'd try it. If my libido went south or I started eating the fridge empty then I would revaluate. Just like women do. If on top of that I was doubled over in pain for a week once a month and knackered for another week, damn right I'd be taking it and even the libido bit would be less an issue. I've seen the difference to someone's life hormonal contraception made. An ex of mine was like two different people. Normally a great person, happy in life, but once a month she was crucified with her periods. I could begin to understand why it was sometimes known as "the curse". She was as close to clinically depressed as you could get and in terrible pain. I mean moaning in the night in her sleep in pain(which will kill libido PDQ). Never mind the anaemia. She went on the pill and it was an amazing change. It was a medical miracle. She was literally cured of all this. She was human again all the time.

That was her. Other's have a different story. Some good, some bad, but as an overall medical invention IMHO it has changed the world for the better and given women far more choice over their reproduction and menstrual cycle.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Human body really is a wonderful thing. It has this great tool called brain that is capable of inventing great things to make life easier for ourselves. Being in tune with my body means that I know my skin will be better, my menstrual pains will be almost gone and that there is 99% chance I won't have more kids if I take pill.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Meh, I think the pill is great.

Been on it since I was 19, I'm 25 now. Before I went on the pill I never knew when I was getting my period. I could go for 4 months without having one and then have one that lasts 2 weeks. And they were horribly heavy.

Now I know when I am getting my period and it lasts about 3 or 4 days. And it's handy for contraception of course when in a ltr.

I had a few side effects from 2 that I was on at the start. This is the 3rd one I've been on, and have been on it for 6 years. It's low dose and triphasic and I've never had any bad side effects from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Mid 30s. I haven't taken the contraceptive pill since I turned 30.
    Don't think it's any big deal not to take it.
    I get monthly reminders as to why it's a positive thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I've only been on it for just under 3 years, I am 30. I really do like the fact that my period is much lighter and nowhere near as painful as it used to be - even without the contraceptive benefits that's worth it in its own right for me. Spending the first 2 days of my period basically slamming painkillers and feeling sick is not pleasant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

Hormone free and always have been because Im a lesbian.

I'm incredibly in tune with my body, I know when I'm due by my symptoms and also know when i'm ovulating. Again because I recognize the symptoms. I've had friends who have had trouble conceiving after long term being on the pill. I am lucky that my periods are fine, but I still think long term hormonal changes can't be good for you?

My sister has always had awful awful Periods (random bleeds, 2-3 week periods with a week in between). She's tried the bar. And is now on her second pill, hopefully this one works for her!

It totally depends on the person but I think being hormone free has given me a real insight into how my body works - and for any woman to not have a clue which way her body naturally works, or what's normal for her (esp when you consider things like cervical cancer) is a shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭YumCha

OP I kind of get where you're coming from, but the way my full female power was super heavy periods (needed to wear a tampon AND a pad) that felt like someone slicing through my insides. I thank the flying spaghetti monster every day for my Mirena coil.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The post on Depo and two years is incorrect, I'm on it over ten years, and am over forty.

The biggest risk of depo is a loss of bone density, regular dexa scans every two to three years negate that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Hi OP,

Ive taken the pill at various stages of my life, for various reasons. Essentially I had to stop taking it for headache reasons. The other option was to take a progesterone only pill (which I dont believe is ethically right for me).

Goes to show how varying opinions are on this.

Now, I am one of these people who can (albeit begrudgingly) take a couple of neurofen once a month and Im ok. But there are those out there who have horrendous periods/pain/mood swings (I wonder if these have happened to you? And if so, in your opinion is taking a pain killer interfering with this synthetic womanly period idea? Cause thats not natural either. Or should we all just suffer? Am curious).

A friend of mine fainted from period pains, and she had to be put on the pill for quality of life purposes. As in, it was affecting her quality of life. Another day, I went shopping with her, and oh, the poor thing...we ended up in a mcdonalds (her in the cubicle) for a few hours, until she could get the pain under control.

It doesnt make you any less of a (modern day) woman to want to live pain free or prevent unwanted births.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

I think I can sort of see your point. The pill does just seem to be the instant "go to" prescription that's offered when people are starting out on contraception, and I do believe that a lot of teenage girls would know very little about other types of contraception or about possible side effects of the pill such as loss of libido. I started out on Depo myself and at 17 all I cared to ask the doctor was "will it make me put on weight?" :rolleyes:

Ideally a good doctor should inform people about all options and both the pros and possible cons of any medication but sadly that doesn't happen sometimes.

I think it is good that you will openly talk to your daughters about sex and contraception, this openness is definitely a good thing.
    Be careful though not to force your own opinion on them, maybe take a trip to the doctors either on their own or with you present if they wish, and book a session to purely discuss all the options available, success rates, proper use, the possible cons of some but also the PROS of the pill too so as not to be biased.
    This way you could be happy in the knowledge that your daughters are making an informed choice, and you should try your best to be supportive of what they choose and be glad that they are being responsible.

When you say that women should at least experience themselves drugfree I'm not certain as to in what situation you mean. Most women will have several early teen years experience of their body/ periods being drug free. Do you mean that when they are a bit older they should experience sex drug free?
    That could be very risky for your daughters if they didn't want a baby and if they weren't on some other type of very reliable contraception.
    Ultimately that choice of contraception will be down to them, and the best you can do as a mum is just ensure that they are informed of all their options and try to support them.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jaja321

Can't take hormones, have tried every combination possible and I still turn into a depressed and miserable sod. Have the hormone free copper coil now. Was no joy getting fitted and it's made my periods more painful, but it works (so far) and it hasn't turned me into a crazy person. Pain has eased over time too. Plus I never have to remember to take anything, it's just there.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Piglet85

dellas1979 wrote: »
    The other option was to take a progesterone only pill (which I dont believe is ethically right for me).

Would you mind explaining this please (not being smart, genuinely interested. I took the POP for a couple of years and have no idea what you're referring to, so if there's some ethical issue surrounding it I'd love to know!)?

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

I think I can sort of see your point. The pill does just seem to be the instant "go to" prescription that's offered when people are starting out on contraception, and I do believe that a lot of teenage girls would know very little about other types of contraception or about possible side effects of the pill such as loss of libido. I started out on Depo myself and at 17 all I cared to ask the doctor was "will it make me put on weight?" :rolleyes:

Ideally a good doctor should inform people about all options and both the pros and possible cons of any medication but sadly that doesn't happen sometimes.

This is a good point, there are some great doctors out there who are very well-informed and there are those who you would want to go to having already done all your own research!

Nowadays, it is hopefully a lot easier for people to find out about their different options just by googling. I'd argue that even if your doctor is well-informed about contraception that it's worthwhile to research it yourself aswell. At the end of the day, the GP is a general practitioner and can't know everything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I was on the pill from about the age of 21 until a couple of years ago (I'm 34 now). I was delighted to be on it as I had painful periods etc and I liked the regularity and peace of mind it gave me. However, I came off the pill as some side effects became more evident (monthly 3 day long migraines, which were a lot more painful than the periods I had before, reduced libido, weight gain). I don't know if it's because of my age but my periods now off the pill are completely painless now, and as regular as clockwork (26 day cycle every time, since the month I came off the pill).

So I guess I was happy to be on the pill and now I'm happy to be off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I guess I've always been lucky enough when it comes to periods. They were never very painful, but they were highly irregular. I was prescribed the pill when I was in hospital for a week in my mid-20s with ovarian cysts. I have no pain now (maybe a twinge once a year), I can control my cycle and I don't have to worry as much about unwanted pregnancy (ie pregnancy).

I plan to stay on it for as long as possible! It was the first pill I tried and I've never had side effects, so why change a good thing. And I was having periods for about 10 years before I started taking it and I have no idea what this "knowing your full female power" is about. I didn't know when I was ovulating, I didn't know the signs, and I didn't care. Still don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I used to have periods up to 2 weeks long, twice a month, or sometimes none for 3 months, then a 3 week one that left me crippled in pain. I never had PMS, but the pain and blood loss from my periods made me faint, and meant a minimum 2 sick days each time, which was hardly ideal whem I'm working.

Since going on the POP, I don't get periods. It's alleviated the symptoms of my PCOS quite a bit. It's also handy as contraception in my relationship.

I love synthetic hormones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Piglet85 wrote: »
    Would you mind explaining this please (not being smart, genuinely interested. I took the POP for a couple of years and have no idea what you're referring to, so if there's some ethical issue surrounding it I'd love to know!)?

No problem.

First of all, its my own ethical issue.

The progesterone only pill allows an egg and sperm to fertilize. But not conception (attach to the womb). To me (I am not forcing my views on anyone-each to their own), but I don't agree with that.

I asked the doc specifically how it would work. And I did think of all that (did I agree/disagree what it would do to my body/psychologically) and thats why I decided not to take it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

dellas1979 wrote: »
    No problem.

First of all, its my own ethical issue.

The progesterone only pill allows an egg and sperm to fertilize. But not conception (attach to the womb). To me (I am not forcing my views on anyone-each to their own), but I don't agree with that.

I asked the doc specifically how it would work. And I did think of all that (did I agree/disagree what it would do to my body/psychologically) and thats why I decided not to take it.

Depends on the POP. The one I'm on (cerazette) prevents an egg being released, as well as thickening the lining of the womb.

Advertisement