Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any synthetic hormone free women out there?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Depends on the POP.

Well, that was my only option (I shall say) "back then".

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Piglet85

dellas1979 wrote: »
    The progesterone only pill allows an egg and sperm to fertilize. But not conception (attach to the womb). To me (I am not forcing my views on anyone-each to their own), but I don't agree with that.

Ah,I see. Thanks for the clarification!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

I have been pill free for most of my life apart from a few months on Yasmin and a year on another pill in my 20s (I forget the name). I didn't like being on that pill because I used to bloat like a balloon. Yasmin didn't have that effect but it affected my personality.

I put up with the period pain and all that went with it because the pill was worse for me. I had an ovary removed a few years ago - I often wonder if I had been on the pill for longer would I still have the ovary today.

I would definitely consider HRT when menopause hits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

The Pill aside, if you've eaten beef pre-1990 or outside the EU, you've probably consumed synthetic hormones. It's entered the food chain, not just contraceptives.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 naturalish woman

The Pill aside, if you've eaten beef pre-1990 or outside the EU, you've probably consumed synthetic hormones. It's entered the food chain, not just contraceptives.

Absolutely. Does nobody think there might be the tiniest problem with this??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Absolutely. Does nobody think there might be the tiniest problem with this??

Look at today's obesity epidemic. Look at photos of people from the 1970s and 1980s.

I know some people overeat and don't exercise enough but I think there's more than that to the obesity epidemic. Hormones in the our environment can act as endocrine disruptors and obesity is just one effect. See links for what endocrine disruptors do to lab mice:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/20/opinion/sunday/kristof-warnings-from-a-flabby-mouse.html?_r=0

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/bdra.20147/full

The mouse was exposed to one part per BILLION of an endocrine disrupting hormone. If this is what one part per billion of hormone can do it makes you wonder if homeopathy is woo after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Emme wrote: »
    The mouse was exposed to one part per BILLION of an endocrine disrupting hormone. If this is what one part per billion of hormone can do it makes you wonder if homeopathy is woo after all.

1 part per million is still bigger than ZERO parts per container that homeopathy sells to suckers. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

I've been on the Pill since I was 18 because my periods were heavy and painful to the point where I would pass out.
    I missed 2 days of school a month because of it. My mother is very religious when it suits her and just told me it's part of being a woman. My doctor felt otherwise, thankfully.

I also got raging mood swings, huge depressions and basically would be a teary angry mess for about 5 days a month. No thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I've only taken hormonal contraception once, and that was because I was due my period the week of my wedding and just didn't want to have to deal with it. I had the heaviest, most painful, clot-filled period of my life afterwards, though, so I don't care to repeat the experience.

Because I'm a lesbian, contraception has never been high on my list of priorities. I feel I actually know much less about it than other women my age because it doesn't seem that relevant to me. Saying that, my wife takes the pill because her periods are very irregular and painful without it, so it's been an absolute blessing for her.

I was offered the pill a few times when I was in college to help clear up my skin but I refused because I've had a lot of problems with anxiety and depression and I didn't want to start messing around with my mood when I was feeling even-keeled. It turned out my terrible acne was an allergy to the metal in my train-tracks, because my skin cleared up virtually instantly when I got them removed, so I don't know if the pill would have cleared my skin anyway. I sometimes also suspect the college doctor just wanted young women to be on some form of contraception during their crazy college years :rolleyes:

I pay a lot of attention to my cycle now. I use an app to track it but I usually know myself where I am in my cycle from how I'm feeling. I get mild ovulation pains, etc. so my guesses are usually pretty accurate, usually more so than the app. I've also changed to washable fabric sanitary towels, as a result of which I now have a much better idea of my flow, e.g. whether I'm heavier/lighter than usual or if it's more/ess days than usual. I wouldn't say I like or enjoy having my period, but lately I've been a lot more Zen about it and accepting that this is just something that happens and will continue to happen for the next 20-something years if my mum is anything to go by.

I still hate those "happy period" ads though :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ShadowHuntress

Yes. I seem to get far worse cramps when I am on hormones than when I'm not. So I gave up taking them during uni.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 KatieDot

Posting because this is something I've had to come to terms with. I'm prob closer in age to your daughters, in my mid-late twenties. I have been on syntethic hormones for over ten years.

My 'natural' female cycle is irregular, heavy periods. I would bleed for 3 to 7 weeks, pass out with anemia, and need to visit a bathroom to change every half hour. Nothing helped. Medical exams found nothing.

Modern hormonal medication has saved my quality Of life. Over the years discomfort with not being natural has lead me to try to try out 'nothing' for a while - returning immediately to hell. Without meds, I would be unable to work, unable to have a sexual relationship (nothin less attractive/more off putting than feeling like my insides are at war), unable to dress as I want, unable to be me.

I fully understand the side effects of my choice. Fertility is a fear. loss of libido/weight are lifestyle options I have to weight up against the obvious gains.

Op I do understand that there should be more debate about options, but options are limited. A good doctor will explain risks. Most will make an educated informed choice, one way or the other.

I've recently started being open about my personal cycle and have been shocked at the amount of women who suffer like I do. I always felt alone. There are some poor gp's - such as a doctor who told me I was exaggerating or that 'a few babies would sort me out'. However, I believe one of the unspoken benefits of the pill/synthetic hormones is that more women are chatting to doctors about their cycles and their experiences.

I often remind myself that the research is evolving. Each year we learn more about possible side effects, but also some fears are discredited. The one thing the research often misses out for me - is quality of life - it's not directly measurable. By all means share your opinions with your daughters, but also listen to them and respect their choice. Only they know what's most important for their personal lives. For many the pill is about way way more than not getting pregnant!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I agree completely, I wasn't on the pill and suffered for years and wish I went on it sooner. I couldn't stand without fainting, had crippling pains and had terrible anemia.
    When I went to the doctor they kind of brushed that off as me just looking for contraception!
    I was on microlite first and it was too light for me and after a few months on it lost my libido and had to change.
    Now I found a pill that suits me perfectly and has no side effects. It's all about finding what suits your body and totally worth it for me for a better quality of life.

KatieDot wrote: »
    Posting because this is something I've had to come to terms with. I'm prob closer in age to your daughters, in my mid-late twenties. I have been on syntethic hormones for over ten years.

My 'natural' female cycle is irregular, heavy periods. I would bleed for 3 to 7 weeks, pass out with anemia, and need to visit a bathroom to change every half hour. Nothing helped. Medical exams found nothing.

Modern hormonal medication has saved my quality Of life. Over the years discomfort with not being natural has lead me to try to try out 'nothing' for a while - returning immediately to hell. Without meds, I would be unable to work, unable to have a sexual relationship (nothin less attractive/more off putting than feeling like my insides are at war), unable to dress as I want, unable to be me.

I fully understand the side effects of my choice. Fertility is a fear. loss of libido/weight are lifestyle options I have to weight up against the obvious gains.

Op I do understand that there should be more debate about options, but options are limited. A good doctor will explain risks. Most will make an educated informed choice, one way or the other.

I've recently started being open about my personal cycle and have been shocked at the amount of women who suffer like I do. I always felt alone. There are some poor gp's - such as a doctor who told me I was exaggerating or that 'a few babies would sort me out'. However, I believe one of the unspoken benefits of the pill/synthetic hormones is that more women are chatting to doctors about their cycles and their experiences.

I often remind myself that the research is evolving. Each year we learn more about possible side effects, but also some fears are discredited. The one thing the research often misses out for me - is quality of life - it's not directly measurable. By all means share your opinions with your daughters, but also listen to them and respect their choice. Only they know what's most important for their personal lives. For many the pill is about way way more than not getting pregnant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭camoramo

I agree completely with you. I suffered horribly for years, would pass out and had terrible anemia. I wish I had went on the pill sooner as it's really improved my quality of life. My first pill was too light and didn't suit me, but the one I'm on now has no side effects. It's all about finding one that suits you. People assume it's just used as contraception- even the doctor didn't believe that I mainly wanted it to stop pain ! But overall it's worth it.
    KatieDot wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

Some people suffer terribly!

I get very bad pain every second or third cycle just for a few hours when the prostaglandin kicks in. Today being one. Had to leave work, just no point me staying there as I couldn't focus and my work needs concentration. Been off hormonal contraception for six years and I love it. Really know my body well like never before. Very aware of fertile times. I do think much could be improved in educating young women on how their bodies work, (instead of scaring them half to death). Knowledge is power. And I do believe the pill is way overprescribed also. But is also a godsend for some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

fits wrote: »
    Some people suffer terribly!

I get very bad pain every second or third cycle just for a few hours when the prostaglandin kicks in. Today being one. Had to leave work, just no point me staying there as I couldn't focus and my work needs concentration. Been off hormonal contraception for six years and I love it. Really know my body well like never before. Very aware of fertile times. I do think much could be improved in educating young women on how their bodies work, (instead of scaring them half to death). Knowledge is power. And I do believe the pill is way overprescribed also. But is also a godsend for some.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

Can't believe how condescending some of the posts are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I didn't start hormonal contraception until I was 29 so I was well aware of my natural cycle. It consisted on nausea, crippling pain and the most fun bit ... completely irregular periods with cycles ranging from two week to two month gaps. It was horrendous going away for the weekend not knowing if my period would start even if it wasn't due or wondering if I could be pregnant because I was late even if I'd been as safe as possible.

I've been lucky in that I never experienced any side effects from the two pills I've taken and it improved my skin which used to be terrible before my period.

I do agree than it shouldn't be pushed onto anyone as the be all and end all but I wouldn't be making judgements on anyone else's choice either.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

Can't believe how condescending some of the posts are.

That directed at me? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

fits wrote: »
    That directed at me? :confused:

Only the first bit. Knowledge is good, but I wouldn't always trust young girls to get the whole picture or to not rely too heavily on what they learn about how their body works.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I really don't see the big deal with "learning how your body works". If you suffer painful, heavy, irregular periods why would you want to know how your natural cycle is? And even you have a fairly normal cycle but still take hormones...so what :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Lia_lia wrote: »
    I really don't see the big deal with "leaning how your body works". If you suffer painful, heavy, irregular periods why would you want to know how your natural cycle is? And even you have a fairly normal cycle but still take hormones...so what :o

I don't give a bollocks about how my body works aroundy cycle. I don't want kids, so i don't need to know. Missing out on knowing my body is something I'll happily take in return for no awful cramps, no anaemia, no fainting, no painful breasts, no sore back and no sex life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I stopped taking hormones last year, don't know if I'd ever go back. Huge improvement in my mood and health since.

I had irregular periods when I was younger, one blood test showed up no obvious cause so the solution was to put me on the pill. I guess after a few years I felt like it was just masking what might be a problem. I didn't know if there still was an issue since I was taking hormones to regulate what my body should do, if you get me.

Been much better now anyway, and try to keep track so if I do miss a few months I would know something isn't right. Just works best for me this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

I stopped taking the pill 4 or 5 months ago. I'd been on it for years and started wondering if it was affecting my mood. I generally feel quite apathetic and noticed that my concentration has declined over a number of years.

So I started wondering if the pill could be causing this as I'd been on it for so long that I thought maybe I'd forgotten how it feels to be pill free.

Turns out I feel exactly the same off the pill. The only difference is, now I have to deal with unpredictable periods which is a major pain in the ass. It was great knowing exactly when it was due, how long it would last and I could delay it if I wanted (and often did).

I've no desire to feel any more in tune with my natural cycle so I think I'll be back on the hormones soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

+ 1 In this day and age you'd be hard pressed to find anything you consume that isn't laced or loaded with synthetic hormones. Hell if you use commercial tampons your putting chemically treated material inside your body. Even if you go live in the woods and grow all your own food, make your own clothes etc etc you'd still most likely be getting trace amounts of something from the soil or atmosphere given the impact we've had on the whole planet.

I've never taken the pill as it's just never become a need but I certainly don't see it as some great amazing thing. I've nothing against using the pill, it's just never been needed for me either as a contraception nor treatment for other issues. I don't have bad periods, they've been pretty regular since the get go and early issues with cramping were fixed with diet. I'd quite happily have everything cut out if it was an easy job to do in Ireland (It's not, can be done on the NHS in the UK but Ireland is backwards on the whole thing) I've no desire for children, never had and I'm nearly 40 so that view ain't changing. I don't think I am anymore or less a woman for not wanting children, if I did have everything removed and had no more periods I wouldn't feel more or less a woman. A transgender woman will never have the experience but I still see my trans friends as woman because that is what they are. By placing focus on something wither it be Kids vs no kids, breast feeding vs bottle, vaginal birth vs C section, pill vs no pill it's putting pressure on people to fit into boxes and it's just silly. Embrace don't judge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I've been on the pill almost solidly since I was 18, with a few months' break here and there. With the exception of one pill severely affecting my mood to the point of depression, it's been a godsend as I've been in a relationship for a good proportion of those 4.5 years.

Sure, the side-effects can range from annoying to catastrophic, but I've been lucky to find a pill that seems to suit me (so far, at least) so there really is no reason to go hormone-free at this stage of my life. I'm in my final year of college, as is my boyfriend. While 'knowing my cycle' and all that jazz seems like a nice thing to do, getting pregnant really wouldn't be ideal right now. Not in the least!

As well as that, although my periods were always regular and manageable from the get-go, the predictability and alleviation of symptoms that come with the right pill are really useful. And the occasional option to skip a period isn't to be sniffed at, if it was really necessary.

Sure, maybe I'll consider it at another point in life, when a pregnancy won't be the end of the world, or even likely. But right now, I'm definitely Team Synthetic Hormones!

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Stepping Stone

I have PCOS so my wonderful, synthetic hormones are what I have to thank for reduced facial hair, controlled body weight, clear skin, regular, manageable periods and potentially increased fertility. Without the pill, I would be a physical mess.

I don't see myself off synthetic hormones until well after the menopause. Coming off the pill isn't an option and to be honest, I very much hope that they have refined HRT by the time I get there.

My doctor is brilliant as is my pharmacist. Lors of information. I also find that reading the bookkets cover to cover gives lots of info. I would encourage anyone considering the pill to speak to a doctor and a pharmacist. Between them, you will find out loads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I don't understand to a great extent what most women go through with menstruation, but I am profoundly aware of the effects of hormones. As a trans women HRT is an absolute blessing for me. Having oestrogen in my body, something that I feel should be there naturally has changed my life. There could be a bit of a placebo effect, sure, but really I know that having a proper hormonal system is so important for your mentality, never mind the physical effects.

We were studying this in class the other day, women who literally got off murder charges (reduced to manslaughter) because of the profound effects of serious hormonal changes related to the female cycle. This was part of understanding Youth Work and understanding the strain teenagers are under when their body is undergoing such serious changes during puberty and how that can continue through life.

I know for me oestrogen has made me calmer, I am more "moody" but my moods feel natural and under control, and I feel more alive.

I really hope whether people are using synthetic hormones or are trying to understand their cycle they're aware of how influential the hormonal system is on their body and mentality. Whether you want to take hormones or feel they're not for you that understanding is vital.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Without estrogen I'm really hormental. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

I've been on the pill since I was 17 on and off for backne/bad skin in general. I can safely say it's made no difference to my mood or anything else, even when I've switched pills. I took a couple of years off during college. I think it made my boobs bigger but other than that no complaints :pac:

My periods were not horrendous, but I was quite prone to anaemia. When I was around 14/15 I spent pretty much a year fainting and throwing up. Periods are lighter on the pill and I wouldn't get like that anymore.

I'm very suspicious of this glorying in the menstrual blood stuff that's hinted at in the OP and some feminist theorising. Periods are the single worst physical thing about being a woman (worse than pregnancy and labour, I mean, that's short-term and you do get somewhat of a choice in the matter) and the pill has been a great component in increasing female freedom. There's a reason why our great-grandmothers used to call it the "Curse"!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭Jamaican Me Crazy

I've had the mirena for 7 years so I get a low dose of hormones through that. I can't take the pill due to an underlying medical condition.

Thankfully I never suffered with bad periods but I am one of the lucky ones. So many women are crippled with side effects of their monthly cycle, who can blame them for doing whatever it takes to make themselves more comfortable, with or without medication.

I am well in tune with my monthly cycle and I experience no side effects from my contraception (especially pregnancy ;) ) so it works for me and I am happy with my choice.

Information is out there but I would think it is a risky move to advise girls in their teens or early twenties to avoid the pill. Give them information and let them choose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

ivytwine wrote: »
    I'm very suspicious of this glorying in the menstrual blood stuff that's hinted at in the OP and some feminist theorising. Periods are the single worst physical thing about being a woman (worse than pregnancy and labour, I mean, that's short-term and you do get somewhat of a choice in the matter) and the pill has been a great component in increasing female freedom. There's a reason why our great-grandmothers used to call it the "Curse"!

Also remember, women pre-pill had very different lives. Our great-grandmothers were often underweight during wars or famine (which usually stops periods completely). And if they weren't, they were often pregnant / breastfeeding (which release the same hormones as the pill).

Women in developing countries nowadays usually get to menopause at around 45 (it's 50's for western women), which would lead me to think that older generations also had an earlier menopause.

Western teenagers today also start their periods much younger than in developing countries.

So all in all, historically, women were probably having far fewer periods over the space of their lives than we are now. The invention of the pill, if anything, has brought us back to that state.... edit, but without the starvation, or perma-pregnancy.

Advertisement