Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6.01 Precision Barrel

Options
  • 03-09-2014 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

Hi lads I'm planning to replace my 6.03 for 6.01.
    Is there a big difference in accuracy?
    Is anyone using 6.01?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

_marciano_ wrote: »
    Hi lads I'm planning to replace my 6.03 for 6.01.
    Is there a big difference in accuracy?
    Is anyone using 6.01?

6.03 is the best all round bore in my opinion, I use a 6.01 in my EBR and did notice a tighter grouping at a closer distance but 6.03 is defo the best of both worlds.

Apparently now a wider bore is the way to go like the orga magnus barrels but havn't tried those yet and am pretty sure they are expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭_marciano_

6.03 is the best all round bore in my opinion, I use a 6.01 in my EBR and did notice a tighter grouping at a closer distance but 6.03 is defo the best of both worlds.

Apparently now a wider bore is the way to go like the orga magnus barrels but havn't tried those yet and am pretty sure they are expensive.
    What bbs did you used with your 6.01? Did you ever had a bbs jammed?

What bbs did you used with your 6.01? Did you ever had a bbs jammed?

King arms .25g bb's. Never had a jam, long as you keep the barrel clean of dirt should be fine!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭T4RGET

I use a 6.04 and recently installed a 6.08 stock barrel. Honestly there's no difference. I'm probably going to get a lot of people reading this and rolling their eyes but with the hop up on the BB essentially rolls along the top of the barrel. The rest of the barrel really doesn't get used much. The tighter the barrel the more energy the rifle produces however so if you're looking for a bit more energy then that could do the trick.
    Another note is that any imperfections in the barrel will only get worse the tighter the barrel (if such imperfections exist).

Just my thoughts and experience.

King arms .25g bb's. Never had a jam, long as you keep the barrel clean of dirt should be fine!!

Did you use madbull barrel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭ShRT

T4RGET wrote: »
    I use a 6.04 and recently installed a 6.08 stock barrel. Honestly there's no difference. I'm probably going to get a lot of people reading this and rolling their eyes but with the hop up on the BB essentially rolls along the top of the barrel. The rest of the barrel really doesn't get used much. The tighter the barrel the more energy the rifle produces however so if you're looking for a bit more energy then that could do the trick.
    Another note is that any imperfections in the barrel will only get worse the tighter the barrel (if such imperfections exist).

Just my thoughts and experience.

Bingo!

In general tighter bore increases fps and wider bore increases accuracy.

Airsoft differs from real steel in the way the ammo is given increased range. In real steel, the range is increased by rifling the barrel, therefore imparting a rotation onto the bullet as it travels down the barrel. It does this via direct contact between barrel and bullet so a tight barrel is what is required.

In airsoft the increased range is achieved by putting the backwards spin on the bb and so the bb rolls along the top of the barrel. If the barrel is tight (6.01) it can cause the bb to bump as it travels down the barrel. This causes issues with accuracy so it is essential to keep the barrel clean if using a tightbore (no harm keeping any barrel clean).

If a widebore is used there is less likelihood of impact so the bb rolls down the entire length of the barrel without issue, therefore giving greater accuracy (and usually range as hop is maintained). However with a widebore, there is more space between bb and barrel wall so more of the air pushed out of the piston is able to go around the bb. Less air pushing the bb means less fps (not a bad thing if you have a good hopup setup)

I wouldn't bother with the 6.01. Give your barrel a good clean and invest in better hopup setup (rhop or G&G green are always good in general)

Also madbull use a plastic coating on the inside of their barrels to achieve a smooth surface. Over time, this wears and the pitting will cause performance issues as the bb is impacting these pits. Great to start with but expect issues over its lifetime.

Did you use madbull barrel?

Yup, but word to the wise madbulls can chip inside and wilt away, now havin said that could take an age for that to happen but its only coated might be wrong here but I'd swear they make barrels now from harder materials rather than coated aluminium. Better off with a stainless steel barrel.

ShRT wrote: »
    Bingo!

In general tighter bore increases fps and wider bore increases accuracy.

Airsoft differs from real steel in the way the ammo is given increased range. In real steel, the range is increased by rifling the barrel, therefore imparting a rotation onto the bullet as it travels down the barrel. It does this via direct contact between barrel and bullet so a tight barrel is what is required.

In airsoft the increased range is achieved by putting the backwards spin on the bb and so the bb rolls along the top of the barrel. If the barrel is tight (6.01) it can cause the bb to bump as it travels down the barrel. This causes issues with accuracy so it is essential to keep the barrel clean if using a tightbore (no harm keeping any barrel clean).

If a widebore is used there is less likelihood of impact so the bb rolls down the entire length of the barrel without issue, therefore giving greater accuracy (and usually range as hop is maintained). However with a widebore, there is more space between bb and barrel wall so more of the air pushed out of the piston is able to go around the bb. Less air pushing the bb means less fps (not a bad thing if you have a good hopup setup)

I wouldn't bother with the 6.01. Give your barrel a good clean and invest in better hopup setup (rhop or G&G green are always good in general)

Also madbull use a plastic coating on the inside of their barrels to achieve a smooth surface. Over time, this wears and the pitting will cause performance issues as the bb is impacting these pits. Great to start with but expect issues over its lifetime.
    Do you have any experience with g hops and r hops?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭brenak47

I used a 6.01 and wouldn't go near one again more hassle than there worth.I also tried g-hop and r-hop with no real great results.They are a pain to get right so that could of been it.I got better results with a g&g green and a Prometheus nub from ehobby aisa using .25s.

R-hops do indeed work your not guna hit 100m but I got the EBR to a comfortable 60m more if I walked the BB a bit, not mad distance by any means but I tried 3 different brand rubbers and nubs and the R-hop was the better for that rifle, pain in the arse to fit though jaysus!! But once ya get it done once your laughing. I through a prometheus pink rubber which I use in my M4 with good results into my EBR and it was shockin, worse than stock which was a G&G green again a very good rubber, airsoft upgrading is so fickle its ridiculous.

Trial and error of parts and alot of patience with accuracy upgrades for an aeg!. At the end of the day its what suit you (grouping or distance or both) and your rifle, they all behave differently brand to brand.

• Advertisement

R-hops do indeed work your not guna hit 100m but I got the EBR to a comfortable 60m more if I walked the BB a bit, not mad distance by any means but I tried 3 different brand rubbers and nubs and the R-hop was the better for that rifle, pain in the arse to fit though jaysus!! But once ya get it done once your laughing. I through a prometheus pink rubber which I use in my M4 with good results into my EBR and it was shockin, worse than stock which was a G&G green again a very good rubber, airsoft upgrading is so fickle its ridiculous.

Trial and error of parts and alot of patience with accuracy upgrades for an aeg!. At the end of the day its what suit you (grouping or distance or both) and your rifle, they all behave differently brand to brand.
    Did you try g hop?

No fella, R-hop was enough for me!!

No fella, R-hop was enough for me!!

G hop looks a bit easier to make.
    Im planning to use two g&g rubbers fir this

Anyone can write something about g hop?
    From own experience

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Adzski

ShRT wrote: »

Where does this info come from?

I have a MadBull Steel Bull 6.03 and couldn't find any information on internal coating.

Thanks,

Adam

its a "known" fact as you read a lot of forums etc.

Also mentioned here:
    http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/madbull-6-03mm-black-python-ver-2-tight-bore-barrel-for-aeg-363mm.html

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Adzski

@ Marciano - I cannot post any links, but if you look in the Airsoft DIY and Tutorials section, Post #11 - Barrel Info: A very useful post.

I think the Madbull issue that has been highlighted, is only in relation to the 'Black Python' series of their barrels, which state they are coated.

I do not think the 'coating issue' applies for their Aluminium 7075 or the Stainless Steel barrel version.

Cheers,

Adam

Adzski wrote: »
    @ Marciano - I cannot post any links, but if you look in the Airsoft DIY and Tutorials section, Post #11 - Barrel Info: A very useful post.

I think the Madbull issue that has been highlighted, is only in relation to the 'Black Python' series of their barrels, which state they are coated.

I do not think the 'coating issue' applies for their Aluminium 7075 or the Stainless Steel barrel version.

Cheers,

Adam
    I read lots about g hop but was wondering if anyone here had any experience with it

The aluminum ones are anodized so still a coating but much tougher than the teflon on the black python. Still not ideal though as it can wear esp if not done correctly.

Looks like the steelbull ones are non-coated - didn't realise that.

Advertisement