Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2015 1/2 Ironman

Options
  • 03-09-2014 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭

I see my usual email from Tryathy arrived in my inbox this morning - 25% off for first 100 places. Is that Kurt Godel I see already signed up?

Athy Double Olympic Date is 31st May - IM France on 28th June

Is this sufficient recovery time and does anyone see a benefit to doing this, I know they aren't necessary but would like an outing or two to see how I am going beforehand. I probably would just try and keep it to an Ironman Heart Rate to not burn too many matches

I expect Lough Cutra Gauntlet may be slightly earlier which would suit better and its nearer but I am put off a little by it being perhaps a mudfest on poor roads and trails leading to an injury.

Otherwise I am looking at a very limited number of Olympic distance races in late May which I dont think I should put ahead of some long sessions around that time of the peak schedule

I suppose Joey Hannon in late April too but the thoughts of a pool swim send shivers through me

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Ha, I was half asleep this morning and somehow pressed some buttons...;) a Double Oly is a fairer test than a HIM for a stronger swimmer.

Can't help you on the sufficient recovery time question, but I wouldn't call the grassy sections of Lough Cutra especially injury-prove, ditto the roads.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

catweazle wrote: »

I suppose Joey Hannon in late April too but the thoughts of a pool swim send shivers through me

what's wrong with the pool swim CW?

i did JH this year, really enjoyed it, pool is a change alright but as it is in the 50m it's less of a hassle than others. pacing worked well and tbh it's nice if you are treating it as a training race as you can get accurate timing splits

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Athy Double Olympic Date is 31st May - IM France on 28th June

Is this sufficient recovery time and does anyone see a benefit to doing this, I know they aren't necessary but would like an outing or two to see how I am going beforehand. I probably would just try and keep it to an Ironman Heart Rate to not burn too many matches
    I pretty much did that last year (TriAthy DO and Austria ~28th June), no problems with the recovery between the two. By the time you get to 31st May you'll have longer regular Saturdays than a Double Olympic!

Give yourself the rest of the weekend off and you'll be right as rain on the Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

mossym wrote: »
    what's wrong with the pool swim CW?

i did JH this year, really enjoyed it, pool is a change alright but as it is in the 50m it's less of a hassle than others. pacing worked well and tbh it's nice if you are treating it as a training race as you can get accurate timing splits

Ah its just me - I come from a pool where there's no-one ever in it but me and I have no experience of pace lines so I just didn't enjoy it, felt very confined. Let people through when I shouldn't have, tapping feet to get past someone and they just ignore me, guys lying about their expected times so they could get out in earlier waves etc etc

It was years ago and my first ever olympic distance so probably I would have a lot more confidence now - but i will probably do something like a local duathlon around that time of year instead

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I did double oly then im with a 4 week gap and it was fine. Don't taper into the do, just train right through.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Ah its just me - I come from a pool where there's no-one ever in it but me and I have no experience of pace lines so I just didn't enjoy it, felt very confined. Let people through when I shouldn't have, tapping feet to get past someone and they just ignore me, guys lying about their expected times so they could get out in earlier waves etc etc

It was years ago and my first ever olympic distance so probably I would have a lot more confidence now - but i will probably do something like a local duathlon around that time of year instead

ah here bucko, you're about to head off on an IM, i think you can handle whatever comes your way in an oly. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

mossym wrote: »
    ah here bucko, you're about to head off on an IM, i think you can handle whatever comes your way in an oly. :D

Well if he can't he'll get some shock in the mass start :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

The mention of 'mass' might stop him from going altogether ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I would not bother with the half especially if not racing it properly. If you intend on doing a half at IM intesnity do it yourself and save the few quid on race entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I would not bother with the half especially if not racing it properly. If you intend on doing a half at IM intesnity do it yourself and save the few quid on race entry.

+1

I'd also consider lengthening the bike and shortening the run

• Advertisement
Advertisement