Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Athenry

Options
  • 03-09-2014 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭

Hubs and I have decided we want to live in a house instead of an apartment so will be moving from Galway to Athenry in a few weeks. We are a childless couple around the 30 mark (me on the right side, him on the wrong;)).

I'd like to familiarise myself a bit with what there will be for people like us to do around the place. Are there many people in our demographic living there?

I know there is yoga, which I will probably join. And archery, which he will probably join.

Is the market still on Fridays and if so, until what time?

Are there any interesting clubs centering around films, board games, etc.?

I might also be looking for cat owners to maybe swap holiday cat sitting with...

Any tips to make our living there awesome welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 nancy_g1rl

Hi Dutchess!

I'm moving to Athenry soon as well. My name is Nic (female) and I'm 31, so there's gonna be at least one other person your age around the town :-)

I'd love to know what's happening too, so here's hoping you get a load of replies!

Good luck with the move

Yeay Athenry!

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Dutchess

Not much luck so far unfortunately. Have to go meet the landlord there tonight so might pop into Joyce's to check what is up on the notice boards there.

I'm sure between the 2 of us we can make it awesome :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 gjfrazer

Hi I live in Athenry & it's a nice little town, there is always something to find to do, the Athenry news & views is a good magazine for finding out what's coming up & what groups are around, there is the Athenry movie night which shows films on a Monday evening in the town cafe, the market in the square is open on Fridays usually till 6, there is the Athenry drama group, I'm not sure if there's a group for board games but I'm sure that would be easy to set up a good place to advertise small groups is The Nook (they also make good pancakes) good luck with the move :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Loads in their 30s in Athenry, many have moved out from the city. Plenty of sports clubs if your into that, running and triathlon club very friendly .

Thank you both! I will suggest the running club to Mr. Dutchess, not much into that myself but hopefully the yoga classes will be nice.
    Good to know the market is still on, I finish work at 14.30 on Fridays so I can be back home in time for that. I will check out The Nook very soon as well as that magazine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

There's a yoga class in Athenry? Details please?!

ETA if you're interested there's a Zumba class on a Weds evening in Newcastle Comm. Centre which is just outside Athenry, also think it's supposed to be starting at the Salt Inhalation Clinic in the town (must check that out myself actually)

Yoga info here: http://galwayyoga.com/index.html

I received an e-mail that I can only join the Galway class now so I assume the Athenry one is full...the e-mail was not very clear...:confused:

Never tried Zumba, could always give it a try.

So we went to the market last Friday, only to find that it comprises of one vegetable stall and one of those brand knockoff clothes stalls:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Hey Dutchess, just seen your post. There's plenty to get stuck in to in Athenry. I'd recommend tidy towns, great mix of folk, (although I often feel like the youngest). If you're staying years... great schools. So here's some of the highlights of the town
    • Loads of quality places to eat, real foodie town
    • Heneghans in the market has the best cherry tomatoes on the planet... really!, no really
    • Great butchers
    • Lovely park, was well used with the cracking summer we've had
    • Good 'loops' around the town for running, could do with more footpaths, they're way behind on that infrastructure, however it's coming along.
    • The movie club is hosted by the Town Café, nice affordable supper before the film and 'drinks after' in Iggys pub. A friendly bunch.
    • Local car boot sale to pimp out your new place (next one this sat 4th oct)
    • The Shop 'This 'n That' is an experience, bring a map and a compass
    • There's usually a lovely Christmas market, I believe it's at the back of the heritage centre this Christmas
    • There's dance classes and all sorts, alas organisers are not very internet savvy so 'like' Athenry pages on facebook and you could be on top of stuff.
    ps; We've a cat!!

Advertisement