Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy horse meat?

Options
  • 03-09-2014 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭

please no Tesco jokes

Can't seem to find any info online, thee Gougle is just filled with the damn scandal every time I try to search "buy horse meat".

Any info would be appreciated.

PS: for anyone wondering it's to cook stakes and smoked sausages :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Think there does be a butcher/ sandwich stand at the temple bar food market on a Saturday. Does horse meat sandwiches. Cooks it in front of you. I'm sure you could get some raw from him. Think his name is paddy something.

http://www.sundayworld.com/top-stories/news/horse-it-into-ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

It looks like you're based in Dublin, the only place I've seen it here is at Paddy Jack's in the Temple Bar Food market on Saturdays. He doesn't (I don't think, stand to be corrected) sell raw horse meat, cooked skewers only, but he could be a good place to start looking. (SNAP!! Slunk :D )

(The only other "Dublin" option I can think of is a flight to Zurich and stock up in the Migros in the airport before hopping on a flight back!)

If you aren't in Dublin let us know the rough location so maybe locals might have some better info for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

It has been ages since I had a decent Pferdsteak. There's a great Pferdmetzger (butcher) not 200m from where I am sitting now having a beer in the Swiss autumn sunshine.

OP - If you find a supplier in Dublin, be sure to let us know. Also, use the forum search function because this has been asked before.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

France, Holland and Belgium also have a long tradition of eating horse meat. We had a 'Paardenslager' in our town when I lived in Holland, and very nice it was too.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭ibstar

thanks all for replies

Willing to travel within Ireland.
    Last time I got random searched on the way out in the airport and the horse sausage was taken off me :/
    This kind of put me of bringing anything raw anymore.
    Although I did manage to bring Jamón ibérico from Spain a while back (still brings good taste bud memories every time I think about it) :D

Old threads about this turned up with dead ends. Not a single phone call was answered, or ringing in the first place.
    Other places I have found from other forums sound like I am trying to wind them up when I call them, and all reply with a firm "No" :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I suppose the first place I'd start would be the factories that slaughter horses. Ashgrove meats in Limerick, B&F Meats Ltd, Thomastown, Co Kilkenny, Ballon Meats, Ballon, Co Carlow and Shannonside Foods Ltd, Straffan, Co Kildare are the only ones I can think of right now.

No harm in asking would they sell a carcass direct to you or else tell you who they supply in Ireland.

tnx for the post .Kovu.

will start calling these today.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I reckon buying online might be your best bet, provided you can find a company to ship to you. There's an exotic meat company in the UK who sell kangaroo, crocodile, zebra, wild boar, all sorts of game meat. They do horse too. I guess you could order from them and get it sent to Parcel Motel in Belfast and then forwarded to your location. But you'd want to be pretty sure of the packaging if they posting them frozen, I'd imagine the product stays frozen for X amount of time so you'd want to be finding out what the limitations of that are. Your other option might be to ask them if they would accept you sending your own courier to their distribution centre to pick up. Some companies will allow this as they don't make money on the shipping, in fact often they're subsidising it within the product price. You could then use a service like Shiply.com to get quotes for express couriers from the UK to Ireland, I reckon you'd be looking at €30-40ish in shipping costs for a service to get you the package in under 24 hours.

If you do contact them let us know how you get on as I have them down for a little exotic meats BBQ Im thinking of running down the line and I'm going to be looking for a supply of horsemeat myself at some stage along with a few other hard to find game meats

http://www.exoticmeats.co.uk/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Muahahaha wrote: »

was that website designed in 1992?

jesus, my eyes.

Looks like we're onto something here.
    Quick google for "exotic meats UK", gave me some results with delivery charges of £25-£35.
    Not sure I'd want to go the parcel motel route, although that depends how long parcel motel hold the package before delivering it to Dublin, which could save some €€€ on delivery.

PS: parcel motel deliver within 1 day to your chosen location, after receiving the package.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Well Parcel Motel and Nightline are one and the same company. So what you could do is contact Parcel Motel and ask them can they transfer your parcel to Nightline and get a quicker service right to your door. That said in my experience Parcel Motel is quick, if they receive something at 9am in Belfast it gets to me in Dublin by 9pm. No doubt it takes a bit longer for locations outside of Dublin though.

I'm not sure if you are based in Dublin but yet another potential option is for you to pick it up at the Parcel Motel depot in Finglas. If they tell you what time deliveries arrive from Belfast then it might be possible to show up there at that time to pick up your meat. Doing it this way could shave off several hours of it sitting there waiting to get sorted into a delivery to your nearest Parcel Motel. If you wanted to shave even more hours off the time you could drive up to the Parcel Motel in Newtownabbey and pick up from there, again you'd want to email to check if this is possible and also to find out the likely times of packages being delivered to them. You could bring some cooler boxes in the car and stick it in that before driving it home asap.

In any case I think finding out how long it stays frozen for in their packaging is important. If they are using dry ice it might be longer than 24 hours.

thanks for the tip

Can't wait for my horse rib eye :D

Advertisement