Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrician quote

Options
  • 03-09-2014 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

New here, not sure if this is in the correct forum, looking for advice on an electricians bill.

The contractor quoted a ballpark figure of 600 euro as an allowance towards all electrical work involved in a renovation. The roof was being raised with the attic space used to build a bathroom and extend the 2 bedrooms.

There were no electrical specifics given at this stage but it was understood that sockets and basic light fittings were needed and the fan and shower would need wired. I knew that the allowance of 600 euro was subject to change.

The contractor had not factored in the requirement to install 2 smoke alarms and 2 heat detectors. The extras that we requested were 13 recessed Led lights as well as two lights in the front attic. The electricians came for a day or two to run cables when the framework of the build was up (all wood frame), so no chasing required.

The bill of 1845 euro was a surprise. Tripling the original estimate was more than i had expected , but, if it's what is reasonable then I will be content. Any information would be most welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

Doesn't seem outrageous for what you got. Not cheap either mind, I would say just right.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 pmccabe

Thanks,
    the specifics were

1) 4 double sockets
    2) 2 regular light fittings
    3) wire shower and fan (Fan needs provided by electrician)
    4) 2 heat detectors and 2 smoke alarms
    5) 13 recessed LED lights
    6) Install MCBs and a shower priority box
    7) 2 attic lights

Labour was around 1000 (7 days), parts around 800. As long as I get feedback that this is ok, then I'm more content.
    Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

Seems okay. Don't forget to get a cert for the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Can't speak on the labour, but the parts would be reasonable.

Non priority shower unit would stand you at about €150 give or take, and you're looking at €15 - €20 cost price for each led downlighter. They add up very quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Sligoronan

Seems quite reasonable. 15 - 20 for led would be far to low of a price. If supplying the bulb would be in the range of 40 per unit. Smoke and heat would be in the 150 range supplied and installed. You got on ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 pmccabe

Thanks everyone for your feedback. It's not my game and it's difficult to know. Hello 6781, I might be showing my naievity here, but why is the cert important.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

pmccabe wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for your feedback. It's not my game and it's difficult to know. Hello 6781, I might be showing my naievity here, but why is the cert important.
    Thanks
    To certify that the work completed is up to minimum safety standards.

Advertisement