Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part 4 Tenancy Question

Options
  • 03-09-2014 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just a quick few questions about part 4 tenancy. I've been renting an apartment since Dec 2012. As part of this I have signed 2 X 1 Year Leases. Am i correct that this constitutes a part 4 tenancy and that I can leave with no penalties (deposit withheld) as long as I give the required period of notice?

And does the length of notice start from the first least signed or the latest extension signed?

EC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

ec18 wrote: »
    Hi,

Just a quick few questions about part 4 tenancy. I've been renting an apartment since Dec 2012. As part of this I have signed 2 X 1 Year Leases. Am i correct that this constitutes a part 4 tenancy and that I can leave with no penalties (deposit withheld) as long as I give the required period of notice?

And does the length of notice start from the first least signed or the latest extension signed?

EC

If you wished to rely on a part IV tenancy after your first lease expired you shouldn't have signed the second lease - you are bound by the fixed term of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭ec18

If you wished to rely on a part IV tenancy after your first lease expired you shouldn't have signed the second lease - you are bound by the fixed term of that.

Ah I had a suspicion that might be the case. Thanks for the reply.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

How do they raise the rent without another contract, just write to you and it comes into force?
    What if they wnt you to sign a contract and you won't, not leave to kick you out I take it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

How do they raise the rent without another contract, just write to you and it comes into force?
    What if they wnt you to sign a contract and you won't, not leave to kick you out I take it?

You can agree to an rent increase without renewing or entering into another lease, the increase must be notified in writing 28 days in advance.
    The tenant then either accepts it and amends their payment details;
    disputes it via the PRTB; or
    decides to move out and must give notice.

This notion of being made to sign a new lease is just a tactic by EA's to get another fee from the landlord for 'admin'.

Advertisement