Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Metalman - Yes they can!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Ravelleman wrote: »
    Not really craft beer either. Nor is it Irish.

I've had lots of London Pride in cans and it tastes exactly the same as it does from a bottle.

Fair enough. The thread title I suppose doesn't strictly relate to Irish craft beers but the linked article refers to metalman. I was trying to point out my own experience of where canned ales / craft beers were canned successfully

I agree that london pride and Abbott make beer on a large scale in large breweries - the philosophy might be different than what we consider craft, but they are considered 'real ales' and set apart from other mass produced offerings. CAMRA (CAMpaign for Real Ale) is the body that rates these.

The guys at CAMRA think highly of both (fair enough it's a while since they got and award!) and is consider them far better than other 'craft' beers brewed here.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Pride_%28beer%29

Same with Abbott Greene King - a great beer with CAMRA awards.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    I agree that london pride and Abbott make beer on a large scale in large breweries - the philosophy might be different than what we consider craft, but they are considered 'real ales'
    Only when served on cask. The keg, canned and bottled versions are not "Real Ale" by CAMRA's definition.

BeerNut wrote: »
    Only when served on cask. The keg, canned and bottled versions are not "Real Ale" by CAMRA's definition.

Ah ok that's interesting

Canned Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, on the other hand, is can-conditioned so does count as CAMRA-grade "Real Ale" :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Mega-Merge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Ah ok that's interesting

An to add to the fun, beers such as Fuller's 1845, Vintage ale etc are considered real ale as they re bottle conditioned :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Fair enough. The thread title I suppose doesn't strictly relate to Irish craft beers but the linked article refers to metalman. I was trying to point out my own experience of where canned ales / craft beers were canned successfully

Yeah, I guess what I meant is that canned Irish craft beer is the novelty behind the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Metalman's Can prototype no. 1 is fantastic!
    I hope they go for that in cans!

Metalman's Can prototype no. 1 is fantastic!
    I hope they go for that in cans!

I'm down in waterford over the Christmas break - going to try get my hands on some of this

• Advertisement

Nearly there....

335162.jpg

and in other news.......

335164.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Look at it... all sexy and seductive.. a full stack of cans!

Er I mean..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Finally I can walk down Grafton st in the afternoon and not look like an alcoholic because I'm drinking cans

Finally I can walk down Grafton st in the afternoon and not look like an alcoholic because I'm drinking cans

In fairness, there are quite a few beers in cans that you could do that with now, BrewDog, Sierra Nevada, Beavertown, Brooklyn, Founders, etc.

Just nice to do it with an Irish beer I suppose. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Up close canage...
    Notice the nutrition information on the can also. :cool:

B7Y25V2IMAA-PEH.jpg:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

slayerking wrote: »
    Up close canage...
    Notice the nutrition information on the can also. :cool:

B7Y25V2IMAA-PEH.jpg:large

What size are the cans. The one there look like 500ml but the kinsale cans look like 350ml

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

matrim wrote: »
    What size are the cans. The one there look like 500ml but the kinsale cans look like 350ml

Metalman are 330ml.

matrim wrote: »

They only look like 330ml cans, look at the barcodes. They probably look a tad taller because they haven't been folded over over yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Metalman are 330ml.

This can is small. This can is far away

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Wish them the best of luck.
    Have not tried any of there stuff yet as i have found no place that stocks them, hopefully that will change after this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Any chance of getting a GPS tracker on the pallets? :D

Really want to try these ASAP

• Advertisement

Well, the pallets just have empties on them. The printed cans are being shipped back to the brewery now for filling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Downside to cans is when empty and without heads they are even more fragile than eggs. And once they're dented at all they can't be used.

Still it's what the market wants... and it's all about selling more beer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Hopefully these will be competitively priced ala 8 Degrees core range

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

drumswan wrote: »

Speaking of which, my local Tesco seem to have stopped stocking the 8 Degrees stuff. I'm not happy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Would prefer a 500ml for session strength beer, on the assumption it would cheaper per ml.

I guess 500ml cans don't fit with craft branding.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭St. Lupulin

They won't be 2 euro a can that's for sure, much to the delight of certain Beoir representatives.

I'm guessing e2.80 a pop at the least.

They won't be 2 euro a can that's for sure, much to the delight of Beoir representatives.

Why would you say Beoir representatives would be delighted?

They won't be 2 euro a can that's for sure, much to the delight of Beoir representatives.

Ah M K I presume, do you think metalman can run a business on 2 euro a can?
    An they also have no control over what off-licences or pubs add to it, like cinnamon of ranelagh

You may have also missed Beoirs welcoming of Spoons into the Irish market as a downward pressure on prices

The prices largely reflect the reality of running a brewery in Ireland. If you think you can bring quality beer to market cheaply go for it!

oblivious wrote: »
    Ah M K I presume, do you think metalman can run a business on 2 euro a can?

8 degrees ran a business on 2 euro a bottle?

• Advertisement

I'm still going to buy it either way cause I'm a moron, just getting pissed off with prices.

You may have also missed Beoirs welcoming of Spoons into the Irish market as a downward pressure on prices

Nope I didn't.

I'm a member, I'm not anti-beoir btw,

I'm still going to buy it either way cause I'm a moron, just getting pissed off with prices.

I tend to buy a bottle of everything once to try them but to be honest I dont go back to Irish Pale Ales/Red/Stouts at 3.50+ a bottle as a regular thing, why would I when I can buy the likes of Torpedo or Centennial or Punk cheaper?

It would be nice to be able to pick up a six pack of Metalman pale ale for 12-13 quid when you fancy a few beers, something with a bit more flavour than Howling Gale at a good price. THe realities of buy a canning plant will most likely be factored into the price though, thats how it works.

Because certain representatives of Beoir come across as if their an IBEC for Craft Beer companies, when they are a consumer association.

Defending prices down to the ground.

Discouraging it even being cheaper.

I didn't get that impression.

What you may have miss is the person was Beoirs PRO and still very active in that role. There is a fine balance of encouraging craft beer industry for consumer choice and getting a fair price. But there is no point in encouraging businesses practise that will ultimity damage the industry we are try to nurture.

Do you really think anyone in Ireland can produce a canned beer on a 10-20bbl system for 2 euro?

Did they, haven't seen 2 euro in any local off-licence.

But there is also a distributor on the bottle and the price maybe discounted to for selected vendors

But there is also a distributor on the bottle and the price maybe discounted to for selected vendors

Howling Gale, Barefoot Boh, Knockmealdown and the red are 2 euro a bottle in most off-licenses.

I don't think metalman can run a business selling double IPAs for 2 euro a can if that's what you're asking.

A 4.3% pale is a different story.

Howling Gale, Barefoot Boh, Knockmealdown and the red are 2 euro a bottle in most off-licenses.

I don't think metalman can run a business selling double IPAs for 2 euro a can if that's what you're asking.

A 4.3% pale is a different story.

Well theyve just bought a canning plant.

I spoke to a brewer at one of the more established micros here recently and he told me what his take-home was last year. He wont be retiring to St Tropez any time soon. The reality is that the breweries need serious further growth to be a viable investment of 5-10 years of someones career, and for that growth further investment is required. They simply have to charge the highest that the market will bear. Some of the newer ones I feel have pushed beyond that of late, we shall see.

Well theyve just bought a canning plant.

They'll make it back in no time, they're quality brewers.

I'd say they'd make it back sooner if they sold more cans cheaper rather than less cans at 3 euro + a pop.

And surely that's a better business plan long term.

If that's not economically viable for them they should start up something like Equity For Punks. I'd gladly invest in them anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

IMO their pale ale needs to be at the 4 for €10 price point like Founders all day IPA.

• Advertisement

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    IMO their pale ale needs to be at the 4 for €10 price point like Founders all day IPA.

Exactly.

I'd be happy to buy them at 4 for €10

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kenlawlor

I know there are many arguments for canning, including it being the best option for preservation of the beer (according to many producers). But when it comes down to it beer always tastes better from a bottle or from the tap, in my opinion. Even if you pour a can into a glass (which I always insist on), it's never quite the same.

kenlawlor wrote: »
    I know there are many arguments for canning, including it being the best option for preservation of the beer (according to many producers). But when it comes down to it beer always tastes better from a bottle or from the tap, in my opinion. Even if you pour a can into a glass (which I always insist on), it's never quite the same.

Nah.

Although I can respect your opinion.

I feel the same way about beer on tap.

About 75% of the time I get a weird taste off it.

kenlawlor wrote: »

Sorry, but you're just wrong.
    Have you blind tested your theory?

I always find that beer tastes nicer when it's poured into a bowler hat and has a single plum floating in it. But hey, that's just me.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Yeah there 1.85 a bottle including vat and delivery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Had a few of these Xmas day. Lovely altogether

Howling gale and sunburnt are €2 in dunnes.

Howling gale and sunburnt are €2 in dunnes.

True but bad example.

They're 2 euro in Drinkstore, so there's no evil supermarket raping the industry excuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

and O'Briens

• Advertisement
Advertisement