Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Metalman - Yes they can!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

So its definitely the same recipe as the draught? Are the can prototype recipes to come later does anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

drumswan wrote: »
    So its definitely the same recipe as the draught?

I presume so , but it not uncommon for a bottle version of a beer to be slightly different than the draught

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

slayerking wrote: »
    Up on Drinkstore at the mo.
    €2.80 per can. No 4 for 10. :mad:

Bulk deal is €2.60 per can for 24 :(

That's the equivalent of just over €4.80 a pint (or €4.35 if a Beoir member). Places that offer four for a tenner aren't really giving good value either - it's the equivalent of €4.30 for a pint. When the Franciscan Well have Metalman on cask, it's €4; for keg, I think it's a fiver. The Bierhaus do it at €4.20 for cask (€3 if you're a Beoir member) or €4.80 on keg.

These prices could be justified for a once off, seasonal or high abv beer. But for a 4.3% APA in off-licences to be around the same price or more expensive than equivalent on-licence draught pints, it's a total rip off.
    BaZmO* wrote: »
    Yeah loads of times. Obviously not in a can, but it can only be equal to are less good than the draught version.

Metalman's pricing is double plus ungood.

3 quid pints? That's some value. It's less pricey when compared to Dublin prices, though my idea of this being a 6 for 12 sort of go to sessioner were wildly optimistic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭recyclops

Picked up three cans tonight in shankill, style as delicious as I remember

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

choices choices

4 x metalman for €10.80 or 4 x centennial for €10

sorry there is only one winner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

choices choices

4 x metalman for €10.80 or 4 x centennial for €10

sorry there is only one winner
    Pretty good value alright.

Also 4 x All Day for €10 & 4 x SNPA for €10 if cans are your deal.

I'll be buying a can or maybe two of Metalman to try it, but it wont be becoming the regular at home go to I was hoping it would. One and done. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

For me it's another beer in the pile of beers that I will buy if discounted in some way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,766 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Up on Drinkstore at the mo.
    €2.80 per can. No 4 for 10. :mad:

Bulk deal is €2.60 per can for 24 :(

2.80 for a 33cl can means 4.24 per 50 cl. Is this a joke price for a pale ale?

Bottled pale ale brewed by O'Hara's is under 2.00 in Aldi / Tesco, isn't it?

In that context, no, in any context, 4.20 is a crazy price to pay for a 4.5% approx pale ale in an off-licence.

Sure I pay 4.00 - 4.50 in my local pub for PA brewed in Meath, and that's in a pub..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,766 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

To compare, Chimay Red 7% is 3.40 in the same shop.

Shipped from Belgium
    No excise rebate (worth about 25c per pint)
    Higher excise due to 7% vs 4.5% approx

and yet just 60c more.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Wanted to buy this, but there taking the piss out of us with the pricing.
    Wont get much success with this pricing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Not buying it at that price point. Not even to try, I already know what Metalman Pale Ale tastes like, and I don't believe it to be worth 2.80/ a can from an off licence. Or even 2.52 with the Beoir 10%.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭emco

Well I'm going to buy it. Straight after work!

Although I do think there is a generally unfair price disparity between 330ml and 500ml beers in off licenses in general, and I usually stick to the 500ml.

With the new rules from the central bank today Im going to use the 10% deposit I had saved up to buy a can of Metalman instead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Slightly off topic, but I saw they started stocking Mountain Man's Green Bullet in my local SuperValu. The price: €4. This for one bottle, 500mls, of a 4% pale ale.

I've said it before, but I just can't see how these prices are going to be sustainable.

Regarding Metalman, as others have said, I might buy one can if I come across it but that's about as far as it will go for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Just bought a can.
    Probably the last can at that price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Beersmith

I love getting a metalman on draught and have just tasted it from the can. Draught is far superior imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭emco

2.40 in Carry Out Tyrrellstown, better than most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

At 5 for 10 Euro, I'd buy it, but Christ not at those prices.
    That said fair play if they can maintain those prices, but I won't be buying. As someone else pointed out it's the same for founders in a can. .
    Feck my local supervalu has 4 cans of punk for a tenner. You'd need to have your head examined to justify those prices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Slightly off topic, but I saw they started stocking Mountain Man's Green Bullet in my local SuperValu. The price: €4. This for one bottle, 500mls, of a 4% pale ale.

I've said it before, but I just can't see how these prices are going to be sustainable.

You do shop in Supervalu.

• Advertisement

Had a can last night and enjoyed it, the same lovely biscuity malt you get in the draught came through nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

I don't know why "shipped from x" counts towards reasons to buy over local produce with the same price. Especially if it's a hoppy beer that deteriorates in taste being shipped far away, then the "shipped from x" should actually count as a positive in favour of local produce.

However the pale doesn't compete in flavour profile with Centennial for example, it's a sessionable beer with less of a lot of things. Founders has scale, manufacturing taxes etc on their side to keep price down. Favouring local breweries can sometimes be attractive for the sake of it. The breweries have a long way to go until they can start competing with the big craft players, but I'll be here, giving them the benefit of doubt rather than giving out. Some people seem to think they set their prices just to take the piss :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

snowblind wrote: »
    I don't know why "shipped from x" counts towards reasons to buy over local produce with the same price. Especially if it's a hoppy beer that deteriorates in taste being shipped far away, then the "shipped from x" should actually count as a positive in favour of local produce.

However the pale doesn't compete in flavour profile with Centennial for example, it's a sessionable beer with less of a lot of things. Founders has scale, manufacturing taxes etc on their side to keep price down. Favouring local breweries can sometimes be attractive for the sake of it. The breweries have a long way to go until they can start competing with the big craft players, but I'll be here, giving them the benefit of doubt rather than giving out. Some people seem to think they set their prices just to take the piss :cool:

Yeah I hate the way that Eight Degrees take the p1ss with their €1.99 price for a 330ml bottle of their core range.

Not accusing them of taking the piss, maybe some are, I think we just all expected a core range 330ml serving of beer to be priced a little differently.
    Sounds strange, but even ensuring they at least try to hit the 4 for €10 price range everywhere would have made a massive difference, even though its still pretty expensive.

I'm a massive supporter of Irish breweries myself, I'd say I exclusively drink about 90% Irish craft beer. I'm willing to splash out on some of the more interesting seasonals but, where core range is concerned, I do take price into consideration.
    I've found myself drinking more of the deals lately. Dunnes 4 for 9, Super Valu 4 for 10, Aldi/Tesco/Lidl occasional deals etc. The likes of O'Haras, Kinsale, Bru, Kenmare, O'Sheas etc to choose from and 500ml bottles too.

It will be interesting to see how the Metalman cans fair once the honeymoon period wears off or if the price changes over time.

The brewer does not set the retail price, they cant 'hit the 4 for 10 range'. Dunnes 4 for 9 would be a loss leader for off licences at the prices they are paying Blacks etc.

The brewer does not set the retail price, they cant 'hit the 4 for 10 range'. Dunnes 4 for 9 would be a loss leader for off licences at the prices they are paying Blacks etc.

I'm aware of that but surely they can discuss this with the distributor, project a price based on middle men getting their cut or have a RRP.

I'm aware of that but surely they can discuss this with the distributor, project a price based on middle men getting their cut or have a RRP.

From talking to a couple of brewers some distributors take a 30% cut, with no wiggle room.

I know we'll just end up going around in circles (again!) but I don't think anybody can deny that the current pricing for Metalman (whomever is responsible for it) is a little disappointing.

Yeah I hate the way that Eight Degrees take the p1ss with their €1.99 price for a 330ml bottle of their core range.
    Metalman cans are 25% more expensive. Hardly a great injustice there.

Also how much did the 8 degrees beers cost when they first arrived on the market? I don't remember myself, but I'm quite sure it wasn't 1.99.

• Advertisement

Metalman cans are 25% more expensive. Hardly a great injustice there.

Strange choice of word.

Strange choice of word.
    :confused: it was paired with hardly

Also my edit was buried there and it's an earnest question so:
    Also how much did the 8 degrees beers cost when they first arrived on the market? I don't remember myself, but I'm quite sure it wasn't 1.99.

:confused:

Indeed
    Good question.

Indeed
    Can you tell me what you're getting at, insinuating doesn't really help here

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭St. Lupulin

They were always e1.99.

They charge extra for stronger IPAs etc that's it.

Can you tell me what you're getting at, insinuating doesn't really help here

You posted the confused icon and I agreed.

• Advertisement

oblivious wrote: »
    From talking to a couple of brewers some distributors take a 30% cut, with no wiggle room.

8 degrees online shop sells their beers directly. It's cheaper to buy them in Drinkstore...and you don't have to order 72 beers minimum either.

You posted the confused icon and I agreed.
    First you said my wording was strange, then I posted a confused smiley and then you say you agree with that. Are you sure you aren't just being intentionally obscure? If you disagree with something, say what it is. Otherwise you'll never get anywhere and insinuating without saying is just kinda rude dude

8 degrees online shop sells their beers directly. It's cheaper to buy them in Drinkstore...and you don't have to order 72 beers minimum either.

Drinkstore is not cheaper than buying direct from the brewery, nor would you expect it to be.

8 Degrees seem to be a bit of an outlier when it comes to pricing in the Irish market.

But I'm pretty sure 8 degrees started out as more expensive too. When you get some market coverage for a new unproven product and don't have big money behind you, I guess the risks are higher....just like....the prices.

But I'm pretty sure 8 degrees started out as more expensive too. .

They didn't I still have 2011 drinkstore receipts in my inbox.

• Advertisement

They didn't I still have 2011 drinkstore receipts in my inbox.
    Thank you! I wouldn't trust my memory on these things so I'm glad someone is organized :P

Still, not too bothered by this, hopefully they'll be able to make their processes more dynamic and get the price down after a while

Drinkstore is not cheaper than buying direct from the brewery, nor would you expect it to be.

24 bottles of Full Irish on Drinkstore.ie = e56.16*

Includes 10% Beoir discount which every sane 8 degrees drinker is a member of.

24 bottles of Full Irish on eightdegrees.ie = e59.50

Not to mention you'd have to buy 48 more beers off them before you make the order.

Just did a search for previous orders with Drinkstore and I found an order for Howling Gale from June 2011 and it was €1.99.

I do think the Metalman Pale is clearly better than any of the 8 degrees core range beers, so I would rather pay 25% more for the can anyways.

I do think the Metalman Pale is clearly better than any of the 8 degrees core range beers.

Agreed.

They'd do well to better The Full Irish and Amber Ella though and I wonder what they'd charge for 6% abv beers?

24 bottles of Full Irish on Drinkstore.ie = e56.16*

Includes 10% Beoir discount which every sane 8 degrees drinker is a member of.

24 bottles of Full Irish on eightdegrees.ie = e59.50

Not to mention you'd have to buy 48 more beers off them before you make the order.

Id forgotten about the Beoir discount. I always forget to use it also unfortunately.

Sunburnt is 44.30 for 24 currently, that's 1.84 a bottle without shipping

They can't sell less than 20 liters or so with a brewers licence direct to the public.

Drink store is 1.99 for the same

They can't sell less than 20 liters or so with a brewers licence direct to the public.

Sunburnt is 1.71 a bottle in drinkstore if you buy 24...

Even if you're "too lazy" or whatever to join Beoir for a measly tenner, it's then only 6 bleedin' cents more expensive....

And I know about the limit they have, it sucks. We need to get together and decrease that nonsense.

Drink store is 1.99 for the same

Hes counting the 10% discount you get with your Beoir membership.

I love 8 degrees by the way, and the online shop is a great idea. Terrible execution though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement