Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self-employed taxi driver start-up

Options
  • 03-09-2014 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hello all,

New here and I thought this would be the best place to get some advice.
    I'm thinking of starting up a single car taxi business. The car would be driven by himself.
    From anyone in the industry is there much involved in getting started up? I'm sure I could hear lots of negative stories so maybe some positives would be good.
    I know I would need a PSV licence and that the car would have to be less than 10 years old. I also believe I would need to pay €6,500 for a start-up license from the regulator. I am living in and around the Castlebar area and this would be where I would be working out of.
    I have a postgraduate degree so this would be quite a change of career direction but I feel I need to move in this direction in order to make a living long term.
    Is there much resistance on the street to new entrants? Moreover could I make some sort of living after fuel costs etc. I don't mind working evenings or weekends. The flexibility and being self-employed are big positives.

Thanks for any responses.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭reni10

Have you investigated just using Hailo to receive your taxi jobs?

I think you may only need a Hackney License instead of a Full Taxi License to operate like that so it might be a cheaper and quicker way to dip your toe in the water and see if it would work for you?

I have no Taxi experience at all, I just investigated it very briefly a few months ago...

Advertisement