Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sony Xperia Z3 and Z3 Compact announced at IFA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 xerophyll

hi peeps, have been having the z3c for 1 week or so...so far on moderate usage i only got 1 day 8 hours with SOT 5 hours before need to recharge it...im just not that impressed but that may be either my expectations were a bit wee too high or that is actually impressive? how much are u guys getting out of this phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I've been told that I can upgrade my work phone after Xmas and this is a major contender at the moment, however knowing Sony, the Z4 will be on soon after.

When would one expect the Z4 to be launched?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I've been told that I can upgrade my work phone after Xmas and this is a major contender at the moment, however knowing Sony, the Z4 will be on soon after.

When would one expect the Z4 to be launched?

Probably Feb will be the release date, but Sony phones are a bit unlike other brands.

The gap between the Z2 and Z3 isn't big at all, the Z3 has a better battery and slightly more refined and rounded build to it.

With Sony you really wouldn't miss out in any real way going with the Z3 Compact and not getting the Z4 or Compact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭billbond4

Z4.Z4 Compact and Z4 Ultra will be announced at Ces in January and should be available in shops in February.
    Sony will be back on 9 to 12 month cycle for flagship phones, they were doing 6 month cycle to catch up,with z2 and z3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Rumours are z4 could have, minimum, 5.5 inch screen which, in my opinion, is a bit too big. Z3 is a cracking phone, and just about the right size to fit in a pocket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Irish94

I'm due an upgrade on my Sony Xperia Z1 now. I'm getting either the Z3 or the Z3 Compact. Is their much difference in size between the Z1 and the Z3/Z3 Compact?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭billbond4

Screen should be roughly same size,see here for pictures of z4 digitizer compared to z3
    http://www.xperiablog.net/2014/11/16/is-this-the-xperia-z4-lcd-touch-digitizer/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jonathan1977

Got the Z3 Compact just before the weekend, went for the orange one. It's lovely. My previous phone was a HTC Mini One which had fallen a number of times, in carparks, down the stairs, you name it and it was still perfect. This Z3 fell out of my hand in the kitchen this morning and the back completely shattered. Now there's splinters of glass falling off.

I would advise against getting the Z3, the back is supposed to be Gorilla Glass.

Everything about this phone I loved, so quick, battery is briliant but no way would I risk getting another one after this.

I tried to post a picture of the back but Boards won't allow as i'm a new user.

Disappointed Z3 user.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Slattsy wrote: »
    Hmm, I have the official one for my Z2. I notice on the images that the home screen stays on Portrait. With the official dock the home screen (and since 4.4.4. the lock screen) turn to landscape. Also, I had an issue with the connection on the side of the phone coming loose and falling off the phone, had to send the dock with the phone to prove it was an official product otherwise the warranty wouldn't be valid according to the phone shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Got the Z3 Compact just before the weekend, went for the orange one. It's lovely. My previous phone was a HTC Mini One which had fallen a number of times, in carparks, down the stairs, you name it and it was still perfect. This Z3 fell out of my hand in the kitchen this morning and the back completely shattered. Now there's splinters of glass falling off.

I would advise against getting the Z3, the back is supposed to be Gorilla Glass.

Everything about this phone I loved, so quick, battery is briliant but no way would I risk getting another one after this.

Disappointed Z3 user.

This is my fear. The HTC One is the best built phone I've ever owned I think. Genuinely think I could drop kick it 30 yards and it would be fine. Whereas my Z3 is getting the kid glove treatment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭budhabob

Disappointed Z3 user.

I had the Nexus 4 prior to the Z3c and broke the back glass in that shortly after purchasing. I have dropped the z3c a few times with no damage to date, will likely pick up a slim case in the next few weeks.

Any way to mute the start up music???

And i keep getting Rich Communication messages asking to put in my phone number!! How do i remove the ballox?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

Slattsy wrote: »
    Any way to mute the start up music???

And i keep getting Rich Communication messages asking to put in my phone number!! How do i remove the ballox?

Startup sound is in settings / sound. You can turn it off there.

Rich communications is in settings / more under wireless and network. Then down at the bottom of that list you can untick it. No idea what it does except annoy you on boot up.

Thanks man, they were a right pain in the a$$ !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,839 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Ok guys, I think it's fruitless me waiting for CM11 to be released on this, no news at all lately :( Damn!

Can someone explain what's the best way to get this as close to stock as possible? I want to be able to use OTA updates, but at the same time not have any bloatware or unnecessary aps installed. I'd ideally like the stock android menus etc too but I guess I can live without this. I don't want to go around messing with roms etc (the original plan was to install CM 11 and update OTA and never have to install roms and the likes again on the phone). I'd also like it to be rooted to take advantage of apps like cerberus.

Any help would be great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

cormie wrote: »
    Ok guys, I think it's fruitless me waiting for CM11 to be released on this, no news at all lately :( Damn!

Can someone explain what's the best way to get this as close to stock as possible? I want to be able to use OTA updates, but at the same time not have any bloatware or unnecessary aps installed. I'd ideally like the stock android menus etc too but I guess I can live without this. I don't want to go around messing with roms etc (the original plan was to install CM 11 and update OTA and never have to install roms and the likes again on the phone). I'd also like it to be rooted to take advantage of apps like cerberus.

Any help would be great!

Get the Google Now Launcher for a stock look and feel then disable the apps you can't delete in the App settings menu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I got one last Friday and I absolutely love it. Ordered a decent case and screen protector for it on Sunday but while I'm waiting for those to be delivered I'm terrified while using the phone. As amazing as it feels and looks I really am forcing myself to be gentle with it. I've even left it at home a few times when walking the dog.

The case will sort that out but damn it the phone is just too pretty to risk damaging.

Any help would be great!

Think you're probably looking at CM12. Was reading today that there are already fairly decent lollipop builds for the Z3.

http://www.xda-developers.com/android/lollipop-finally-lands-on-the-xperia-z3/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Irish94

Anyone getting their phone insured? If so, which company offers the best price?

I got one last Friday and I absolutely love it. Ordered a decent case and screen protector for it on Sunday but while I'm waiting for those to be delivered I'm terrified while using the phone. As amazing as it feels and looks I really am forcing myself to be gentle with it. I've even left it at home a few times when walking the dog.

The case will sort that out but damn it the phone is just too pretty to risk damaging.

Yeah deffo get a case for it, have mine insured under Gdget insurance so getting it sorted, have ordered a nice case for it from eBay, after todays incident with the phone, I don't believe that the z3c can withstand much, after all it only fell from the height of my pocket standing in the kitchen, fell flat on its back though.

Irish94 wrote: »
    Anyone getting their phone insured? If so, which company offers the best price?

gadget insurance offer the best price at 6.99 a month whereas earphone warehouse are 12.99 per month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

I got a Barely There Casemate and an Ultimate Shield screen protector for my Z3 on amazon. Very happy with both especially the screen protector,top quality. Wouldnt even know its there and goes on really easily,no bubbles etc. Defo worth getting both, feel much more at ease handling my phone now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,839 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Basil3 wrote: »
    Think you're probably looking at CM12. Was reading today that there are already fairly decent lollipop builds for the Z3.

http://www.xda-developers.com/android/lollipop-finally-lands-on-the-xperia-z3/

Thanks for that, I don't see any mention of CM12 in that post, do you mean CM11 is only for KitKat and it would be CM12 that would be worked on instead of CM11? Is there talk of it coming to Z3 Compact soon? Would the progress be the same for Z3 and Z3C or would it differ I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

I've had the compact z3 about 2 weeks now, love it. So fast, battery life is unbelievable and camera is great.
    Word of warning, slap a screen protector on this immediately, I have a case but already have a few small scratches on the screen, I'm pretty sure it's from sand that inevitably ends up in my pocket at the beach. Not that noticeable when the phone is on but pretty annoying.
    Got a rhinoshield back and front protectors delivered yesterday but they were a balls to put on and I completely ****ed up the front one, dust got under it even though I had scrubbed it well, probably didn't help I was doing it in less than optimal light, €28 down the drain.
    Ordered an ultimate shield tempered glass cover today so hopefully that will prevent further scratches but pretty annoyed with myself for not having one on right out of the box

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

Hey all,

I am thinking of moving from iphone 5 to the z3, i have read reviews etc online and it seems really impressive. Is the phone as good as it sounds?

I have a ps4 so the remote play really sounds appealing to me!

Is there any reason to go for the bigger z3 over the compact?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

Hey all,

I am thinking of moving from iphone 5 to the z3, i have read reviews etc online and it seems really impressive. Is the phone as good as it sounds?

I also had the iPhone 5 prior to the Z3 and I am finding it great. The apps all run very smoothly; the screen and camera are both very good. I'm very happy with mine anyways.

Get the bigger one! For browsing and reading it's much easier on the eyes.

brevity wrote: »
    I also had the iPhone 5 prior to the Z3 and I am finding it great. The apps all run very smoothly; the screen and camera are both very good. I'm very happy with mine anyways.

Get the bigger one! For browsing and reading it's much easier on the eyes.

Thanks for the heads up, il have a look at the bigger onelater hopefully!

Probably a stupid question, but as it uses a nano sim and sodoes the iphone 5, is it a case of popping the sim card in if both phonesbought on same network? Or do I need a new nano sim?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 xerophyll

Thanks for the heads up, il have a look at the bigger onelater hopefully!

Probably a stupid question, but as it uses a nano sim and sodoes the iphone 5, is it a case of popping the sim card in if both phonesbought on same network? Or do I need a new nano sim?

nahh no need for new sim, the current one will do, as long as its a nano sim

Thanks for that, I don't see any mention of CM12 in that post, do you mean CM11 is only for KitKat and it would be CM12 that would be worked on instead of CM11? Is there talk of it coming to Z3 Compact soon? Would the progress be the same for Z3 and Z3C or would it differ I wonder?

Yeah, what I meant is that everyone will probably be moving on to lollipop builds, so AOSP 5.0 and then CM12.

• Advertisement

xerophyll wrote: »
    nahh no need for new sim, the current one will do, as long as its a nano sim

Took the plunge and got the z3, nano sim works fine.

Really enjoying this phone but the keyboards annoying, need to find a better one!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Yeah I couldn't get on board with the stock keyboard. I use Swiftkey instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Took the plunge and got the z3, nano sim works fine.

Really enjoying this phone but the keyboards annoying, need to find a better one!!

I also use SwiftKey keyboard, but tempted to try out this highly-rated keyboard
    [url] https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.syntellia.fleksy.kb[/url]

Thanks lads il have a look at both

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Cartel Mike

I have the Z1 compact which is practically the same phone/price.

Sound/camera are tops , alot of space and handy features like being able to take an instant screenshot by pressing the power button.

If the z3 & z2 compacts are exactly the same as the z1 though they have the in-built battery which can't be removed or got at. Imo this is gonna cause problems down the line as all batteries, eventually over-heat, distort & loose the ability to charge. This means in the future even if you find a battery on ebay (doubtfull) it will still have to be brought to a mobile mechanic to fit it by taking the screen off just to access it.

So probably best to give it plenty of down/off time.
    Have mine a few months & have already noticed I get. slightly less battery life after charging.

I have the Z1 compact which is practically the same phone/price.

Sound/camera are tops , alot of space and handy features like being able to take an instant screenshot by pressing the power button.

If the z3 & z2 compacts are exactly the same as the z1 though they have the in-built battery which can't be removed or got at. Imo this is gonna cause problems down the line as all batteries, eventually over-heat, distort & loose the ability to charge. This means in the future even if you find a battery on ebay (doubtfull) it will still have to be brought to a mobile mechanic to fit it by taking the screen off just to access it.

So probably best to give it plenty of down/off time.
    Have mine a few months & have already noticed I get. slightly less battery life after charging.

This isn't really true. It would take a lot longer than that to see a true drop in battery life. There are probably other factors affecting you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Hey all,

I was in the same predicament, and I eventually went for the compact.
    Its a fantastic phone, but now that I have up-sized to the Z3C, I feel that I would be well able for the larger version. I would go for the larger one if I was to buy again, more room for reading etc. One thing in favour of the Compact is I can use it with one hand, I don't think that would be too easy with the larger version. If you are going to use it with the PS4 the compact would be a bit small for comfort.

Pangea wrote: »
    I was in the same predicament, and I eventually went for the compact.
    Its a fantastic phone, but now that I have up-sized to the Z3C, I feel that I would be well able for the larger version. I would go for the larger one if I was to buy again, more room for reading etc. One thing in favour of the Compact is I can use it with one hand, I don't think that would be too easy with the larger version. If you are going to use it with the PS4 the compact would be a bit small for comfort.

Thanks, I went for the bigger one and really like this phone. One thing I'm trying to figure out is how to move my iTunes to sd card and have it organised, my iTunes folder one my laptop is not organised simply by artist or album so not sure what best solution is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Picking this phone up today. Have decided the compact is the way to go, using the s3 and wouldn't like to go any bigger than that. Plus having a tablet to look at video / streams at home, it's rare i would use it to watch video of any great length on a phone.

Excira

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

BKWDR wrote: »
    Picking this phone up today. Have decided the compact is the way to go, using the s3 and wouldn't like to go any bigger than that. Plus having a tablet to look at video / streams at home, it's rare i would use it to watch video of any great length on a phone.

Excira
    Don't forget to get a screensaver

Bought last night, very nice piece of kit altogether. Really impressed.

Does anyone know why it didn't download my list of saved WIFI networks from google? Was that a samsung thing? As in when it imports contacts and such from google

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

BKWDR wrote: »

Does anyone know why it didn't download my list of saved WIFI networks from google? Was that a samsung thing? As in when it imports contacts and such from google

I would have thought it would do that. My Xperia Z does anyway.

I would have thought it would do that. My Xperia Z does anyway.

None of my wifi networks downloaded which is a pain...anyway i can force download?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Has anyone seen a case that supports the QX10 cybershot?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

I have the z3c less than a week and the bottom flap, that has the sim card and some other wierd piece of paper, is not sitting in right and keeps opening.

What should I do?

TheChevron wrote: »
    I have the z3c less than a week and the bottom flap, that has the sim card and some other wierd piece of paper, is not sitting in right and keeps opening.

What should I do?

Id bring it back. If its a niggle that will sit with you just bring it back and try get a swap.

Have had the phone couple weeks and love it. Battery Battery Battery

Super quick phone too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

TheChevron wrote: »

What should I do?

Have a similar problem with the 3 and the micro-USB flap, dunno if I'm not putting it back in properly or what.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Thanks, I went for the bigger one and really like this phone. One thing I'm trying to figure out is how to move my iTunes to sd card and have it organised, my iTunes folder one my laptop is not organised simply by artist or album so not sure what best solution is!

did you think of using this app?
    [url] https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jrtstudio.iSyncr[/url]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,947 ✭✭✭long_b

Can anyone comment on the signal reception for the z3c?
    I live in a marginal signal area.
    How marginal? Well my Note 2 has reception in most rooms whereas on the Note 3 the reception was so patchy that it had to go back.

Advertisement